Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 PM

541 posts, read 1,906,044 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting article that is in response to some of the recent press on Ron Paul's alleged racism due to his views on the Civil Rights Act. The writer doesn't exactly seem to be a Ron Paul fan, but seems to understand his view point on what he is saying.

Does Racism Pay? - Megan McArdle - Business - The Atlantic

It is interesting that many would focus so much on Ron Paul disagreeing with the Civil Rights Act whilst conveniently ignoring that he adamantly disagreed with the Jim Crow laws as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,053,178 times
He seems duplicitous to me. I like some of his ideas. But his viewpoints on racism are very irritating. He simply does not understand the power imbalance.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:13 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,875,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
He simply does not understand the power imbalance.
Why don't you explain it to us...

Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 PM

139 posts, read 261,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
It is interesting that many would focus so much on Ron Paul disagreeing with the Civil Rights Act whilst conveniently ignoring that he adamantly disagreed with the Jim Crow laws as well.
These folks were also against the Civil Rights Act but in favor of the Jim Crow laws:
- Robert Byrd
- J. William Fulbright
- Albert Gore Sr.
- Sam Ervin
- Richard Russel

Any idea what they all have in common?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:22 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,875,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg242 View Post
These folks were also against the Civil Rights Act but in favor of the Jim Crow laws:
- Robert Byrd
- J. William Fulbright
- Albert Gore Sr.
- Sam Ervin
- Richard Russel

Any idea what they all have in common?
Mental retardation?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,319,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Mental retardation?
Well . . . . not exactly. I think it's their political affiliation.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
He seems duplicitous to me. I like some of his ideas. But his viewpoints on racism are very irritating. He simply does not understand the power imbalance.

"At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." ~Billy Madison

Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 PM

956 posts, read 1,117,026 times
I don't think that Ron Paul is a racist. I think that he gets far too carried away with his philosophy at times, which has won him praise amongst like-minded individuals, but has also alienated individuals on both sides of the isle from wanting to associate with him. Because he views life via the libertarian narrative and is unwilling to accept any critique which falls outside of it, he can come across as inconsistent (i.e. mosque at ground zero vs. civil rights fiasco). However, those are his principles and I applaud him for standing up for them even when they may make others feel uncomfortable. What I think of his principles is for a different discussion...

Old 05-16-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
I don't think that Ron Paul is a racist. I think that he gets far too carried away with his philosophy at times, which has won him praise amongst like-minded individuals, but has also alienated individuals on both sides of the isle from wanting to associate with him. Because he views life via the libertarian narrative and is unwilling to accept any critique which falls outside of it, he can come across as inconsistent (i.e. mosque at ground zero vs. civil rights fiasco). However, those are his principles and I applaud him for standing up for them even when they may make others feel uncomfortable. What I think of his principles is for a different discussion...
How are his stances on the mosque and his stances on the Civil Rights act inconsistent? His stance on both was for property rights. His stance was that there was no reason whatsover that the Mosque couldn't be built as it was on private property. Same goes for his stance on the Jim Crow/Civil Rights act. He doesn't believe government should be able to tell you who you can and can't serve in your own private business/property.

Also it should be noted that his stances on the Civil Rights Act isn't exactly a priority focus for him. Generally speaking he only speaks about his oppositions to it when the likes of Chris Matthews brings it up in order to have a "gotcha" moment on tv.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,648,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Well . . . . not exactly. I think it's their political affiliation.
Mentally retarded Democrats??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies