Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:05 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,514,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
You've lost plenty. You're just too blind and caught up in the daily routine to notice it.

A sacrifice of rights and freedoms brought on as a result of further empowering an already intrusive government is not a good thing. Just because it has yet to effect you directly does not mean it won't. Even if it doesn't surrendering rights and freedoms is always the wrong thing to do.

Governments the world over have a long and well documented history of abusing their powers. Willfully allowing them to consolidate more power on the grounds of it somehow temporarily increasing safety is foolish and shortsighted.

Benjamin Franklin's comment sums it up pretty well; "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Explain to me what I've actually lost. Again, you're using the trojan horse boogeyman. It's coming, just wait. Jesus has been supposedly coming in every believers lifetime but never shows up. I'll believe in both jesus and your partriot act boogeyman when he shows up. Right now, there's no evidence for either existing.

What do governments the world over have to do with this? Benjamin Franklin isn't alive in 2011. It's a vastly different world. We live in a nuclear world not a muskett world. Big difference. Anyway, I haven't given up any liberty or any freedom and neither have you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,017,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I have not lost ANY rights. I can do the same excact things I could prior to the patriot act. Maybe you were affored rights I wasn't, not sure.

I didn't ask about me, I asked for ANY examples and only got one, just ONE and that was due to a misread fingerprint and the guy got $2 million.

The "bad guys" were in charge when the patriot act was implemented and I didn't lose anything there either.

What principles are being thrashed? Again, I haven't lost a thing and nobody else can articulate what they've lost.

Conservatives fear of the reality of climate change is irrational and ridiculous. I understand the science.

If you're story about an American being held without trial is true, ok, provide some evidence for it so the case can be examined BUT that still has nothing to do with the patriot act.

I reside in reality, a reality that's not based on who's "in charge" but on evidence. There is no evidence for the irrational fear of the patriot act. There just isn't.
You apparently reside in a convoluted reality in which things that have yet to directly effect you are fine regardless of how wrong they may be.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
You apparently reside in a convoluted reality in which things that have yet to directly effect you are fine regardless of how wrong they may be.
No, I live in actual reality, where fearing/believing in things without evidence is irrational.

You must reside in an alternate reality where whatever is imagined is real..And even with the patriot act, you're free to reside there.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:12 PM

950 posts, read 1,518,528 times
The only time in American history when a large segment of the U.S population lost their freedom was during slavery and during Jim Crow. The Patriot Act is not even remotely comparible to slavery and Jim Crow. The Patriot Act does not prevent Americans from eating at certain restaurants or drinking from certain water fountains for example.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
The only time in American history when a large segment of the U.S population lost their freedom was during slavery and during during Jim Crow. The Patriot Act is not even remotely comparible to Jim Crow. The Patriot Act does not prevent Americans from eating at certain restaurants or drinking from certain water fountains for example.
As far as I know, it doesn't prevent Americans from doing anything..Not a thing which is why I just don't get the fear. If I were a terrorist, I'd be fearful but I'm not and neither are 99.9% of Americans.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:16 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,017,488 times
Quote:
No, I live in actual reality, where fearing/believing in things without evidence is irrational.

You must reside in an alternate reality where whatever is imagined is real..And even with the patriot act, you're free to reside there.
There have been at least several posts in this thread outlining abuses. 10mins of your time spent reading the results of a simple Google search would provide even more.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions even if those opinions are based on little other than anecdotal evidence.

Enjoy your blissful belief in the benevolence of government.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:22 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,005,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
The only time in American history when a large segment of the U.S population lost their freedom was during slavery and during Jim Crow. The Patriot Act is not even remotely comparible to slavery and Jim Crow. The Patriot Act does not prevent Americans from eating at certain restaurants or drinking from certain water fountains for example.
Oh it must be a "large segment" of the population for it to matter.?....whew!.

That makes me feel better. I'll just try and go with flow and not make any waves.

Only "bad people" are spied upon by our glorious leaders.....Go USA!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
There have been at least several posts in this thread outlining abuses. 10mins of your time spent reading the results of a simple Google search would provide even more.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions even if those opinions are based on little other than anecdotal evidence.

Enjoy your blissful belief in the benevolence of government.
No there hasn't..People have listed "controverseys" or things that have absolutely nothing to do with the patriot act.

Anecdotal evidence!! HA..You have NO evidence. All I've asked for was evidence and got ZIP. I don't need to provide any evidence, that burden is on you. You're making the claim that we've lost something. We haven't, get over it, don't allow yourself to be politically pimped.

I'll reside in blissful reality based on evidence not some humdrum irrational fear.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh it must be a "large segment" of the population for it to matter.?....whew!.

That makes me feel better.
It should be more than 1..

Old 05-21-2011, 08:27 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,005,289 times
Quote:
It should be more than 1..
Millions of Americans have their emails searched by the Fed without a government warrant.

That's but one of the Patriot Act's results.

You obviously don't care about increased power of the Fed to search Americans private communications and stored data without a warrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies