Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:48 PM

950 posts, read 1,518,528 times

Advertisements

The only people in America who have had their freedoms taken away from them due to the Patriot Act are people that hang with a law breaking crowd. If you are made guy in La Cosa Nostra or some Muslim operatiiong a terrorist cell in America, you deserve to have your phones tapped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 08:50 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,514,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
You seem to be like most people who take things at face value without noting how much power is at stake in practically everything. And a brief look at history will clearly provide enough examples where power was abused. You still claim that as long as we have the right to vote, we'll be OK. Sorry, I wouldn't trust our elective process if you paid me. It is the illusion of a choice that keeps people from bothering with the tough questions. How much more fake can it get?

I can't cite specific sections of the law, but the Patriot Act allows the government to forcibly inoculate you against your will in the event of some biological attack. And the pharmaceutical companies even managed to get a free pass! They are exempt from any lawsuits if those drugs cause side effects or death. There are other such examples if you look. Just because they haven't been acted upon doesn't mean they're not dangerous.

How do you explain the sheer complexity of the bill (written almost as a surgical dissection of other existing laws, effectively rendering them moot), or the fact that it wasn't read by anyone before passage? Why write a bill so extensive if there was no intention of it being used? It was clearly written in advance of 9/11 as a power grab for some future time when our rights would get in the way of whatever they (the elite) have planned.
Actually, a brief look at history will show you that only in 1 case was the patriot act "misused" and that was a technicality. If you can't cite specific sections of the law, how can you make such a definitive judgement about it?

Every Bill is complex. Again, it's the same nonsense conservatives used against the healthcare bill, whinning about how long it was, how it wasn't read before passage, same nonsense. Aids skim bills and give legislators an overview. That's happens with every bill. Why does when it was written matter? We had terror attacks prior to 9-11. So, was Clinton's administration writing it? How do you know this?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
The only people in America who have had their freedoms taken away from them due to the Patriot Act are people that hang with a law breaking crowd. If you are made guy in La Cosa Nostra or some Muslim operatiiong a terrorist cell in America, you deserve to have your phones tapped.
I agree completely..

Old 05-21-2011, 08:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,012,761 times
Watch out with those agents provocateurs. That's how they get rid of civil rights activists.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,012,761 times
Have you seen The Tillman Story on DVD? Check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Every Bill is complex. Again, it's the same nonsense conservatives used against the healthcare bill, whinning about how long it was, how it wasn't read before passage, same nonsense. Aids skim bills and give legislators an overview. That's happens with every bill. Why does when it was written matter? We had terror attacks prior to 9-11. So, was Clinton's administration writing it? How do you know this?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Watch out with those agents provocateurs. That's how they get rid of civil rights activists.
What civil rights have we lost as a result of the patriot act?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Have you seen The Tillman Story on DVD? Check it out.
I've seen the Tillman story and it has nothing to do with the patriot act.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:57 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,005,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
What civil rights have we lost as a result of the patriot act?
Stop parsing words and trying to be cute. We've had erosions in the right to privacy, nobody is claiming we've completely "lost" a civil right.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:59 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,005,289 times
Only one time did our glorious leaders and their loyal patriotic law enforcement abuse the Patriot Act.

Only one time they tell us.

Secretly search the home of Brandon Mayfield, a Muslim attorney whom the government wrongly suspected, accused and detained as a perpetrator of the recent train bombing in Madrid.

Charge, detain, and prosecute a Muslim student in Idaho, Sami al-Hussayen, for providing "material support" to terrorists because he posted to an Internet website links to objectionable materials, even though such links were available on the websites of a major news outlet and of the government's own expert witness in the case.

Serve a National Security Letter (NSL) on an Internet Service Provider (ISP) so coercive under the provisions of the NSL statue that a federal court struck down the entire statute - as vastly expanded by the Patriot Act - used to obtain information about e-mail activity and web surfing for intelligence investigations.

Gag that ISP from disclosing this abuse to the public, and gag the ACLU itself, which represents the ISP, from disclosing this abuse to the public when ACLU became aware of it, and from disclosing important circumstances relating to this abuse and other possible abuses of the gag, even to this very day.

Investigate and prosecute crimes that are not terrorism offenses, even though it cited terrorism prevention as the reason Congress should enact the law, and cites terrorism prevention as the reason why it cannot be changed.

Good news though, ....they are not going to do it again......they told me so and they are "good people"...

Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Stop parsing words and trying to be cute. We've had erosions in the right to privacy, nobody is claiming we've completely "lost" a civil right.
I asked a question and wanted an answer, no parsing words..Fact is, we haven't lost any civil rights. We haven't lost anything. My emails have never been private. They get stored on a server for months where who knows who has access. Anybody can intercept a phone call/text/fax with the right equipment. We hand over our credit cards to any and everybody. I'm not attempting to engage in an act of terror so I don't care. I have no reason/evidence to believe that any of my (or any other law abiding citizens) information has been misused and neither do you. You're basically tied to the belief that "it's coming". I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies