Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Federal Pay: Keep Frozen or Restart Traditional Automatic Raises?
Restart the traditional automatic step increases and Time-In-Grade increases 17 32.69%
Keep Federal Pay Frozen Until the Feds Are Paid Only Slightly More Than the Private Sector 34 65.38%
I don't care about this stuff. Its boring. Hey...how about that American Idol Finale? 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

I think the STEP increases, COLA and other "benefits" of the Federal system should also apply to the private sector. Just because a person is working for a private employer they should not be punished by inflation but should have their take home pay adjusted.
As the private sector would be adversely affected by inflation they would work to prevent it. The banking sector controls our government and economy so this would be an effective way to restore sound money to the Nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think the STEP increases, COLA and other "benefits" of the Federal system should also apply to the private sector. Just because a person is working for a private employer they should not be punished by inflation but should have their take home pay adjusted.
As the private sector would be adversely affected by inflation they would work to prevent it. The banking sector controls our government and economy so this would be an effective way to restore sound money to the Nation.
actually they do

99% of business have "Annual reviews"

you actual review..ie employee rating...ie employee evaluation is what determines if you get a raise or not, and alos how much

I was working for a company got a very good review..the boss said good job I will give you a 1% raise...I said "boss, inflation is at 3%, I will still be losing 2% with a 1% raise, can you help me".....he gave me a 2% raise

NO company (or government) employee will get a raise (or step(longevity)) increase with a bad review...raises are based on PERFORMANCE

Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think the STEP increases, COLA and other "benefits" of the Federal system should also apply to the private sector.
most do

government employeer OFFERs a health insurance(that you pay for)...so does most civilian employers

government employeer offers a 401k(called the tsp)...so does most civilian employers

goverment offers paid days (vacation and sick) that you EARN...so does most civilian employers

Old 05-27-2011, 02:07 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I understand the discussion since I started it.

You are completely confused.

MOST PEOPLE IN WASHINGTON, D.C. DO NOT WORK FOR THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

Why is that so hard to understand?
that is irrelevant.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:28 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I voted for freezing pay but I don't agree with "until the Feds are paid only slightly more...". Some federal employees are already below the private sector. Considering they have much better job security they should be at least 15% below the private sector. Ideally we could require State and local employees funded by the Feds to have their pay frozen. Most of us have been forced to make sacrifices, Federal employees should as well. Note that includes Congress.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:02 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I voted for freezing pay but I don't agree with "until the Feds are paid only slightly more...". Some federal employees are already below the private sector. Considering they have much better job security they should be at least 15% below the private sector. Ideally we could require State and local employees funded by the Feds to have their pay frozen. Most of us have been forced to make sacrifices, Federal employees should as well. Note that includes Congress.
Do you think government contractors, who derive their funding directly from the annual appropriated congressional budget should also be under a pay freeze? I mean, if we are going to cut government expenditure for labor to save money, should those contract expenditures be frozen? Because at least in the DC area, they are not and are still being given 4%-8% annual increases. Many of these contractors work on a cost plus fee basis which means that the more they can get away with paying their employees, the more fee they earn on top of that. Fixed fee contracts somewhat stop that.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Fire 70% of all government workers and go from there.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:08 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
Most people in the Federal Government aren't paid that much. It's the few at the top that bring the average salary way up. Just like America as a country.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Keep them frozen because of budget issues like state and local governments are doing. Not because I really beleive they are over paid or some nonsense about paid better than private sector.Many government workers when they leave make much more in the private sector as has been seen.When the real budget cuts come;I thniok people are goig to be shocked at now its effects private employers and employees because of government contact cuts.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:30 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Most people in the Federal Government aren't paid that much. It's the few at the top that bring the average salary way up. Just like America as a country.
Look. I don't know you and I don't know if your a government lifer.

But that is EXACTLY the attitude that America is sick of.

While most Americans are just trying to scrape by in this recession the government paper-pusher is saying, "Hey leave my benefit package, perks and pay alone and pay attention to the guy above me. He's the one who is really getting over.

Of course, when you knock on his door, that guy says THE EXACT SAME THING ABOUT THE GUY ABOVE HIM!

That "pass the buck", D.C. attitude is what people are just sick and tired of AND ITS GOT TO STOP!!

Government Workers: ITS TIME THAT YOU SACRIFICE ALONG WITH THE REST OF US OUT HERE! THE PRIVILEGE STOPS NOW!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies