Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 07:14 PM

80 posts, read 42,035 times

Advertisements

I had an argument with a family member about homosexuality and she tried telling me that homosexuality is normal. She took a class on Cultural Anthropology, so she had plenty of liberal garbage to spew. Having taken anthropology as well, I had plenty of ammunition to disprove her arguments.

My argument consisted of two statements: homosexuality is maladaptive to a species (homo sapiens sapiens specifically) and it is abnormal (in that a small percentage of the population is homosexual).

She mentioned the fact that ancient Greeks had homosexual relations for "fun" and also mentioned that homosexuality has been observed in almost every species of life. Her argument is fallacious in both arguments. That's like me saying that since there is slavery going on in the Sudan (and a number of African countries), that therefore, slavery is normal.

I would like someone to refute my statement so I can gain some insight into this issue, because I believe my statement is irrefutable. I am open-minded, so if someone can give me a sincere, logical argument, maybe you can make me a believer.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:17 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
I don't spend much time thinking about homosexuality.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:21 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
If your narrow definition of "abnormal" means not the most common ....so what?

Red heads are "abnormal" then.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:21 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs985 View Post
I had an argument with a family member about homosexuality and she tried telling me that homosexuality is normal. She took a class on Cultural Anthropology, so she had plenty of liberal garbage to spew. Having taken anthropology as well, I had plenty of ammunition to disprove her arguments.

My argument consisted of two statements: homosexuality is maladaptive to a species (homo sapiens sapiens specifically) and it is abnormal (in that a small percentage of the population is homosexual).

She mentioned the fact that ancient Greeks had homosexual relations for "fun" and also mentioned that homosexuality has been observed in almost every species of life. Her argument is fallacious in both arguments. That's like me saying that since there is slavery going on in the Sudan (and a number of African countries), that therefore, slavery is normal.

I would like someone to refute my statement so I can gain some insight into this issue, because I believe my statement is irrefutable. I am open-minded, so if someone can give me a sincere, logical argument, maybe you can make me a believer.

I find this hard to believe. you seem so "sure" of your op. you think it is wrong plain and simple and are looking for support for the bigotry. you won't get it from me. FYI your family member was right, you are wrong. they gave you enough information.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:22 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
we really don't know how small the population is.. I would venture to say that if we included all bisexuals.. ATLEAST 20-30 percent of the population has some sort of homosexual attractions.. that's not very small.
societal structures today hide what's really going on.. Just because someone has a spouse and kids and is married doesn't mean they are 100 percent straight.. they chose to live within those confines of society.. THAT's ALL.
Which is why in other societies that didn't have such confines, homosexuality was more open and considered more prevalent..
your family member is simply pointing out that looking at different societies is telling into what's REALLY going on biologically with humans..
It's like the leader of IRAN saying "we don't have any homosexuals in iran" to which anyone with common sense would say.. "really?"

Old 05-29-2011, 07:25 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Also he calls it "maladaptive"...when there are scientific theories that suggest homosexuality and evolution go hand in hand.

Evolution myths: Natural selection cannot explain homosexuality - life - 16 April 2008 - New Scientist

Old 05-29-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
If your narrow definition of "abnormal" means not the most common ....so what?

Red heads are "abnormal" then.
You are correct. Red hair is technically abnormal.

By the way, what is your definition of abnormal? Also, you didn't attempt to refute my statement. Is that because you are incapable of disproving it or because you dislike rational thought? Or is there some other reason?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I don't spend much time thinking about homosexuality.
I'm guessing you are unable to refute my statement.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:28 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs985 View Post
I'm guessing you are unable to refute my statement.
I don't know or care. I don't sit around thinking about gay stuff.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I find this hard to believe. you seem so "sure" of your op. you think it is wrong plain and simple and are looking for support for the bigotry. you won't get it from me. FYI your family member was right, you are wrong. they gave you enough information.
So let me get this straight....having a viewpoint that doesn't agree with your viewpoint automatically makes me a bigot? I recommend that you take a course in basic logic.

Also, you did not refute my statement. Try again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies