Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:37 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
This is all interesting, but it doesn't address what I consider the heart of the issue. I believe people have certain unalienable rights. One of the most fundamentally important of these rights is the right to have control over one's own body - especially its physical intactness. I can't understand for the life of me why anyone believes it's a parent's "right" to cut off perfectly functional and healthy parts of their children's bodies - be it for an aesthetic reason or because they believe doing so will favor curry with some deity. If someone, even a parent, is hellbent on violating the fundamental rights of a small boy, then I think it's our duty as a society (via our government) to protect that man's rights.
I totally, totally agree. Just as I would be against removing a baby's limb, I am against circumcision. There's no good reason for it. If a man wants to be circumcised, he can do it on his own when he's an adult - and I bet most guys would not choose to do it.

Even if the ban doesn't pass in San Francisco, it's doing a great service by getting people to think about the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I totally, totally agree. Just as I would be against removing a baby's limb, I am against circumcision. There's no good reason for it. If a man wants to be circumcised, he can do it on his own when he's an adult - and I bet most guys would not choose to do it.

Even if the ban doesn't pass in San Francisco, it's doing a great service by getting people to think about the issue.
Getting parents to think more about the issue is fine but, passing a ban for the benefit of all males?....where do you draw the line with something like that. There are thousands of decisions your parents make for you up until you become an adult. No they may not be physical but, there are plenty that can scar you far more mentally and emotionally than a circumcision does. That is what's important here, right....how it affects you mentally and emotionally...we're not talking about government stepping in and deciding a physical preference all males should adhere to, right?

If it didn't get done because of a ban, let's not be ridiculous, no man is going to want to get it done when they're an adult....so, basically it would pretty much eliminate the procedure getting done in the future.

My point it this, if you take this decision out of the hands of the parents then, you're going to have a lot of people with other decisions they'll feel should be handled the same way. Where do you draw the line? They'll all have reasons that they feel are valid (just as you do) to ban parents from making the decisions that they didn't like.

You have to remember that there will be decisions they want banned that you may not be happy with at all. Is a circumcision ban something that you feel is so important to you, that you would be willing to put up with the decisions that other people want their parents banned from being allowed to make. You have to think about other people to....do you really think this would be worth the can of worms it will open.

You have to be fair....arguing why yours makes sense but, no one else's does, that isn't going to work....that's the can of worms I'm referring to when ask if it's worth opening. Can you just image all the crap the far right will want to start getting banned? I know if I were you, I'd be willing to say, "maybe this isn't such a great idea".....you have to sometimes...we all have to get along and this is the kind of thing that adds fuel to a fire that I'm not interested in seeing get any bigger than it already is.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:26 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
I call shenanigans!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:33 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Why is it always the uncircumcised that freak out about circumcision? I have never heard a circumcised guy complain and hold it against his parents. Why is somenone else's penis their business??? I think that they have circumcised penis envy.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:39 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Why is somenone else's penis their business???
Exactly. My body, my penis, my decision. Nobody should be able to chop up my perfectly normal and healthy penis but me.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Exactly. My body, my penis, my decision. Nobody should be able to chop up my perfectly normal and healthy penis but me.
Who's asking or demanding you to? But as I've said, I have never heard a complaint from any man that was.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Who's asking or demanding you to? But as I've said, I have never heard a complaint from any man that was.
Nobody's asking or demanding me to - I'm intact. However, for millions of American men the decision is made for them without any input or consent whatsoever. Why that's allowed makes no sense to me.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Nobody's asking or demanding me to - I'm intact. However, for millions of American men the decision is made for them without any input or consent whatsoever. Why that's allowed makes no sense to me.
But when all is said and done...again, no man I have ever met is less fascinated with his penis than an uncircumcised guy is with his. If a guy has an issue with his genitalia, it is usually due to size and nothing else.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
But when all is said and done...again, no man I have ever met is less fascinated with his penis than an uncircumcised guy is with his. If a guy has an issue with his genitalia, it is usually due to size and nothing else.
So? If my nipples or my fingernails or my pinky toes or whatever had been cut off when I was a week old, I probably wouldn't care too much either - in fact I'd probably try and rationalize it as a good thing since it would be my physical reality.

That doesn't change the fact that my fundamental right to control over my own body was violated. That doesn't change the fact that perfectly healthy and normal parts of my body were permanently removed without my input or consent. That doesn't make it right.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
So? If my nipples or my fingernails or my pinky toes or whatever had been cut off when I was a week old, I probably wouldn't care too much either - in fact I'd probably try and rationalize it as a good thing since it would be my physical reality.

That doesn't change the fact that my fundamental right to control over my own body was violated. That doesn't change the fact that perfectly healthy and normal parts of my body were permanently removed without my input or consent. That doesn't make it right.
That is your opinion and you are entitiled to it, but why are you upset for people that are not upset for themselves? Female cirumcision takes away much of a female's sexual sensation, but in the male it does not. When the question is posed to a circumcised man as to whether or not they are sorry for the loss of their foreskin, I have never had one say that they were. If they are of the Jewish faith, they do not see anything negative in their parent's decision to abide by the practice and just as a Bar Mitvah is a rite of passage, so goes the circumcision.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 08-09-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies