Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:26 PM

391 posts, read 513,623 times

Advertisements

I just gave a final exam in which half my students scored less than statistically reasonable if they had been guessing. One student answered 100 questions to a 90 question test and two answered “C” on a true/false question. They have the points they need to pass or just don’t care. I guess it must be my fault? I was told the test was “just really hard” and they “couldn’t get it”. I gave them all the information that would be on the test beforehand (practically all the questions). I wonder what more can I do? Now, my pay will be based on the outcome of these tests, I hope that we have workshops on how to deal with student/parent apathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Do students get a grade for the test? In North Carolina the End of Course tests count for 25% of your grade and if you don't pass, the teacher can choose to have you retake the course.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:35 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
I just gave a final exam in which half my students scored less than statistically reasonable if they had been guessing. One student answered 100 questions to a 90 question test and two answered “C” on a true/false question. They have the points they need to pass or just don’t care. I guess it must be my fault? I was told the test was “just really hard” and they “couldn’t get it”. I gave them all the information that would be on the test beforehand (practically all the questions). I wonder what more can I do? Now, my pay will be based on the outcome of these tests, I hope that we have workshops on how to deal with student/parent apathy.
...well out here in the 'dreaded private sector'..we get judged, compensated and paid on performace...fair or not that's the way it is

...would you like a cheese with that whine...

Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
How does one teach the apathetic and disinterested?
I have no idea.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Do students get a grade for the test? In North Carolina the End of Course tests count for 25% of your grade and if you don't pass, the teacher can choose to have you retake the course.
No, they can fail the test and it doesn't keep them back if they have "passed the year" with a "D".

Old 06-07-2011, 04:44 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...well out here in the 'dreaded private sector'..we get judged, compensated and paid on performace...fair or not that's the way it is

Yes but do you get judged, compensated and paid based on your performance or others? It's not the same.

If you work in a library and you show someone where a book is on Tuesday and then on Wednesday they can't find the exact same book, is it your fault?

Old 06-07-2011, 04:45 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
No, they can fail the test and it doesn't keep them back if they have "passed the year" with a "D".
Welcome to the world of mediocrity and marginalism where the latest craze is fuzzy logic and excuse building.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:

I have worked in the "dreaded private sector" in which people on both sides have chosen to be involved and had a stake in what that they considered important. My problem is the students/parents in the public sector don't always care. Education is not IMPORTANT to them (hence apathy). Put a random bunch of people in a room selling new cars and judge the salesperson on how many people buy and see what happens. Yes, I think I need some wine.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:50 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
In the olden days, when I was young . . . it was the students who were held accountable when they did poorly in school, and they reflected on their parents.

This is why I chose not to go into teaching and just do some tutoring on the side on a volunteer basis.

Imagine if doctors were rewarded or penalized based on how healthy their patients were! There is no end to this analogy. Only teachers are held to this insane standard where they get blamed for something someone else chooses to do or not do.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:52 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:

Isn't it nice when you get the cherry pick of students? The private school kids are going to perform well no matter who is their teacher. You have it easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies