Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:53 PM

45,750 posts, read 27,380,703 times

Advertisements

New Trier High School employees and retirees live high on taxpayer dollars

“New Trier’s public school employees are really raking it in," said Tobin. "The largest salary goes to Linda Yonke, of New Trier Twp HSD 203, whose annual salary is $266,420. Donald Goers, also of New Trier Twp HSD 203, is close behind, making $244,397."

“New Trier’s retired public school teachers in the Teachers Retirement System (TRS) are also getting rich" said Tobin. "The largest annual TRS pension goes to Henry Bangser, formerly of New Trier Dist. 203, whose annual pension is a staggering $261,680 -- $21,806 a month. Robert Larsen, also formerly of New Trier Dist. 203, already has received a total pension payout of $1,849,614.

Their solution...

Ending pensions for all new government hires will eventually eliminate unfunded government pensions; putting new government hires into social security and 401(k)s would achieve this.

Sounds good to me. The truth is slowly coming out.

Here's something else I just thought. My retirement and others who use the 401K rules have their retirement tied to the stock market while those who receives government pensions don't. Their money seems to be guaranteed - but ours is not. And are they tied down to early withdrawal penalties?

Can someone clear this up about pensions? Are they subject to the markets? And do they have early withdrawal penalties?

Whatever the case may be on those, government union employees are not paying for their pensions.
Is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 02:02 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,621,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

“New Trier’s public school employees are really raking it in," said Tobin. "The largest salary goes to Linda Yonke, of New Trier Twp HSD 203, whose annual salary is $266,420. Donald Goers, also of New Trier Twp HSD 203, is close behind, making $244,397."

“New Trier’s retired public school teachers in the Teachers Retirement System (TRS) are also getting rich" said Tobin. "The largest annual TRS pension goes to Henry Bangser, formerly of New Trier Dist. 203, whose annual pension is a staggering $261,680 -- $21,806 a month. Robert Larsen, also formerly of New Trier Dist. 203, already has received a total pension payout of $1,849,614.

Their solution...

Ending pensions for all new government hires will eventually eliminate unfunded government pensions; putting new government hires into social security and 401(k)s would achieve this.

Sounds good to me. The truth is slowly coming out.

Here's something else I just thought. My retirement and others who use the 401K rules have their retirement tied to the stock market while those who receives government pensions don't. Their money seems to be guaranteed - but ours is not. And are they tied down to early withdrawal penalties?

Can someone clear this up about pensions? Are they subject to the markets? And do they have early withdrawal penalties?

Whatever the case may be on those, government union employees are not paying for their pensions.
Is this correct?
Based on my California CalSTRS

Are they subject to the markets?
Yes, CalSTRS invests in markets.

And do they have early withdrawal penalties? Yes

Whatever the case may be on those, government union employees are not paying for their pensions. Is this correct? False, I paid into the retirement system.

CalSTRS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Arizona I pay into State Retirement.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:51 PM

20,379 posts, read 20,001,125 times
Quote:
Illinois Union Teachers Making 6 figure Pensions
That's cool. Is the money there to pay for those pensions?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM

45,597 posts, read 60,900,071 times
Are these folks mentioned classroom teachers or administrators? A salary of $150K and up is not unusual for district superintendants even in smaller systems. High school principals will touch around $100K to $120K.

In my area of MD you're looking at a couple of supers with a $250K base and other compensation (housing allowance, car allowance, additional pension contribution, life insurance, etc.) touching $400K total.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:12 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,746,126 times
Sounds to me like these people are retired Administrators, management, not teachers and not union.
Their base salaries would have to be almost half a million, I don't think even the right wing rag that is your source thinks teachers make half a million a year

Old 06-10-2011, 04:48 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,343,543 times
Sounds about right. My sister's mother inlaw retired at age 55 and makes $97,000/year from the Illinois teacher's pension. Nothing like retiring at 55 and making more than twice the average wage. I believe they get annual cost of living increases too and health care for life.

Does anyone in the private sector get benefits like this? I know I won't.

ETA: She was a social studies teacher. I believe they get 80% of the average pay from their last 3 years of work.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,130,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

[color=darkred][i]“New Trier’s public school employees are really raking it in," said Tobin. "The largest salary goes to Linda Yonke, of New Trier Twp HSD 203, whose annual salary is $266,420.
Huh hmmm.

What the OP fails to mention (unsurprisingly) is that Linda Yonke ISN'T a Union teacher, in fact a 3 second Google search reveals that Linda Yonke ISN'T EVEN A TEACHER. Instead we find that Linka Yonke is the CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER of the School District.

Contact Information for Linda L Yonke | New Trier Township High School

Old 06-10-2011, 05:28 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,412,058 times
A CEO? Thanks for posting the info ovcatto, Thread fail.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 PM

30,435 posts, read 52,068,476 times
LOL... they've tried this debate before, and always look stupid when we point out these "teachers" are actually administrators. Nice try, though! I'm a public employee myself (librarian), and I pay into retirement every pay period - add that to my union dues, taxes & partial benefit payments, and I'm lucky if I take home 60% of my rather measly salary. If I'm living the good life, somebody forgot to tell my bank account.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,343,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Huh hmmm.

What the OP fails to mention (unsurprisingly) is that Linda Yonke ISN'T a Union teacher, in fact a 3 second Google search reveals that Linda Yonke ISN'T EVEN A TEACHER. Instead we find that Linka Yonke is the CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER of the School District.

Contact Information for Linda L Yonke | New Trier Township High School
Who really cares if she's in administration or a teacher? She still gets the same pension paid for compliments of the Illinois taxpayers. Do you really think she should be earning more than the Governor of Illinois? More than the Mayor of Chicago? More than the Secretary General of the United Nations? Good lord, man. Does your blind allegiance to your party know no bounds?

Illinois Loop: Salaries and Pensions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies