Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:07 PM

20 posts, read 13,391 times

Advertisements

Paul Ryan has been touting how his hero is Ayn Rand. The Russian born atheist who taught many of the same things the Nazis, Alister Crowley and Nietzsche taught. That is the all men are not created equal, that there are those who are stronger and more intelligent and deserve to be treated as hero's . The superman of Nietzsche and the Nazi's come to mind, the Crowley idea of do what thou will comes to mind also. Rand believed that only being true to ones one desire was right and that being altruistic was wrong and that the welfare state should be destroyed, and the government had no right to collect taxes form producers or earners. Ryan does not make a secret of this, he has quoted from her works as has Hannity touting the movie Atlas Shrugged that has just came out. He [Ryan] ran form a Christian who wanted him to read Luke where it talks about a Christian's responsibility to take care of the poor and sick. Rand believed that the "retarded" has no place in a society of producers and had no "virtue" [I wonder how Palin would feel about how these people really feel about Trig?] Rand was nothing more than a cult leader who pandered to the greed and lust of the rich and influential. Greenspan was a follower of Rand and we see where the greed of the financial institutions has gotten us. Rand believed that government should be relegated to keeping out of the way of pure capitalism. If you read Rand you will hear her in the ecos of Limbaugh, Beck [who actually says she was a great influence on him.] and other right wing nuts. Although Rand was an Atheist the right does not care because their greed supersedes their belief if they have any real belief in any religion. You can hear her in Gordon Gekko "Greed is good" Although she spouted to end welfare, Medicare, Medicaid and social security she too its benefits even though some of her true believes did not and some died penniless. She spouted that the Green movement was a hoax and that the studies that said that smoking Tobacco was a cause of lung cancer were lies, contracted lung cancer after smoking two packs a day. She died of lung cancer and took social security and Medicare payments nun the less. The was little more than a selfish hypocrite cult leader who had a following of people who may have and are changing our world for the worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 12:09 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,357 times
Rand was a hypocrite. She used Social Security and Medicare.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 PM

20 posts, read 13,391 times
True enough. She was a two bit cult leader that was not particularly smart nor gifted. She just pandered to the greed of others to manipulate them to her purposes. Many in the GOP have been taken over by her ideas, Bortz daily cries about how the government taxing citizens is stealing while forgetting how Washington lead an armed suppression of the Whiskey tax rebellion. While Palin trys to rewrite history and Paul Revere warning the British and how it was the first shots for the NRA, the real truth behind all this would be Euthanasia for the mentally ill and further polarization of the wealthy to the few.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Although Rand was an Atheist the right does not care because their greed supersedes their belief if they have any real belief in any religion.
In that one sentence you have captured the one of the core tenets of the Conservative mind. The Conservative Movement basically uses Social Conservatives for votes and increase the legitimacy of their cause. Which is why you have guys like David Vitter, John Ensign, Mark Sanford, Larry Craig and Mark Foley talk the Social Conservative talk but walk an entirely different path in their private lives.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackspartyhouse View Post
Paul Ryan has been touting how his hero is Ayn Rand. The Russian born atheist who taught many of the same things the Nazis, Alister Crowley and Nietzsche taught. That is the all men are not created equal, that there are those who are stronger and more intelligent and deserve to be treated as hero's . The superman of Nietzsche and the Nazi's come to mind, the Crowley idea of do what thou will comes to mind also.
Not that there aren't problems with Randian thought, but this was a pretty terrible (as well as poorly punctuated) summary.

"Hitler liked dogs; Jones likes dogs; ergo, Jones is a fascist." Folks on the left tend to call this rhetorical technique 'McCarthyism' when it's directed at them. It's no prettier when directed at anyone else.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:09 PM

674 posts, read 698,378 times
To the OP Rand certainly was intelligent if we're talking in terms of percentiles but she was far from perfect....just like the rest of us. I don't agree with her stance on environmentalism and many other issues but all in all she is a hero of mine and one of my favorite writers. I admire Rand because of her libertarian beliefs (to the objectivist extreme) and her blunt honesty. So she was wrong about lung cancer.

Also I'm a libertarian and I'll collect social security. I've been paying into it for my whole career and I'd be a fool not to....if the government can manage it so that it's still around. However I'd opt out tomorrow if given the chance to do so under the condition that my forced investment (at prevailing interest rates) would be returned. I don't see how collecting social security makes Rand a hypocrite...if it is true that she did.

I sincerely doubt that Rand would admire either Glen Beck or Limbaugh because frankly both choose to be driven by emotion rather than logic. To Rand the ideal person makes choices based solely on logic and self-interest. Because we are human we fall short of this but Beck and Limbaugh aren't even in the logic universe.

Good Rand interview on objectivism and her personal beliefs:

YouTube - ‪Ayn Rand Interview with Tom Snyder, (1 of 3)‬‏

Old 06-12-2011, 01:18 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,317,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
That's cause the government took her money by force.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,317,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
To the OP Rand certainly was intelligent if we're talking in terms of percentiles but she was far from perfect....just like the rest of us. I don't agree with her stance on environmentalism and many other issues but all in all she is a hero of mine and one of my favorite writers. I admire Rand because of her libertarian beliefs (to the objectivist extreme) and her blunt honesty. So she was wrong about lung cancer.

Also I'm a libertarian and I'll collect social security. I've been paying into it for my whole career and I'd be a fool not to....if the government can manage it so that it's still around. However I'd opt out tomorrow if given the chance to do so under the condition that my forced investment (at prevailing interest rates) would be returned. I don't see how collecting social security makes Rand a hypocrite...if it is true that she did.

I sincerely doubt that Rand would admire either Glen Beck or Limbaugh because frankly both choose to be driven by emotion rather than logic. To Rand the ideal person makes choices based solely on logic and self-interest. Because we are human we fall short of this but Beck and Limbaugh aren't even in the logic universe.

Good Rand interview on objectivism and her personal beliefs:

YouTube - ‪Ayn Rand Interview with Tom Snyder, (1 of 3)‬‏
All she said was that altruism is a selfish endeavor.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 PM

674 posts, read 698,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
All she said was that altruism is a selfish endeavor.
Not a single word of truth in this illogical statement. If you are quoting her please put your quote in the context of a written work or video clip (exact time)

Old 06-12-2011, 08:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
Ha ha so but her overall message that fascism and Stalinism are bad is more important than a slight contradiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies