Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
None of us have the right to marry people of the same sex, except in a few states that have decided to go against the will of their residents.
Perhaps you don't understand the Constitution or how our political system works. The voters don't always get the final word. We have a judicial branch of government for a reason.

Go back and take American Government 101.

Quote:
The gays seem so intent on calling each other husband and husband and wife and wife...
There you go again, assuming that all gays are alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Sure, you have the right to feel that way.

The rest of us also have the right to judge and potentially shun you.

And your rights end right at the point where your actions break any laws.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
An Indian man and a Swedish woman can still produce a child. Two men or two women can't. Race is a ridiculous medium to base marriage off of. Gender is not. There is no purpose for gay marriage. It's just nonsensical and unnecessary.
Sorry, but there's nothing in any state's marriage laws that says reproduction is required for a marriage. Using your rule, there's no reason for anyone to marry unless they plan to produce children, and that's just silly. Most people marry for companionship and friendship more than anything else.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What? Civil marriage contracts have never required that those who contract them be able and/or required to reproduce.
Huh? I was explaining how comparing an interracial marriage to a homosexual marriage differs. In interracial marriages, you still have the fundamental make up of a marriage: a man and a woman. In same sex marriages you just have two men or two women.

Many people who get married end up procreating. In many religions people are encouraged to produce children within a marriage. Marriage for many is a religious ceremony that is the precursor to beginning a family. Some married couples cannot or choose not to have children, but marriage is still a special bond that is awarded to heterosexual couples.

Why gays need to be married baffles me. Why do their unions need to be called marriages when the fundamental make up in their relationship (gender) differs from the purpose of marriage? It just seems so nitpicky and annoying.

Quote:
What are these "concessions" you're talking about??? You've lost me.
The 1400 concessions that you have repeatedly talked about desiring to have. By the way, what are some of those concessions?

Quote:
No. I'm effectively banned from the 1400 civil rights that come with a civil marriage contract. I am not allowed to contract a civil marriage with a member of my own sex - that's the only acceptable option for a homosexual.
No one is allowed to contract a civil marriage with a member of their own sex. You have not been singled out.

You have the option to commit yourself to your partner. Why in the world do you need to be each others husbands?

Quote:
Actually, a majority of Americans support giving gays equal rights - a majority of Americans support re-legalizing gay marriage. And I don't want to move because I'm an American. I love my country. I love our Constitution that guarantees all citizens be treated equally under our civil laws.
No, we don't. California, the most liberal state in the nation, has proved exactly where Americans stand on this issue. We are all treated equally. We just don't allow for special concessions for just any cause.

Quote:
I think you're problem is you're conflating religious and civil marriages. They have nothing to do with each other. A civil marriage is simply a contract between two people, given power by the State, that confers some 1400 civil rights. It has nothing to do with your or my religion.
Yes, they do. You are dead set on getting married no matter what concessions are awarded to you. Just stay in your civil union and be happy.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
The primary purpose of marriage should be for procreation. Most married people do procreate. That's the way our society has worked for centuries.
Fewer married couples are having kids, and more unmarried couples are. Cultural norms are always evolving. Try to keep up!

Numbers Drop for the Married With Children - washingtonpost.com

1,027 posts, read 824,843 times
I don't understand why gays want a MARRIAGE. Religions see them as abominations so why seek acceptance from religions that despise you?

A Civil Union with ALL the protections and benefits of marriage seems like common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sorry, but there's nothing in any state's marriage laws that says reproduction is required for a marriage. Using your rule, there's no reason for anyone to marry unless they plan to produce children, and that's just silly. Most people marry for companionship and friendship more than anything else.
Where did I say there was?

The majority of people within marriages procreate. For many Americans that's one of the primary reasons to get married.

People do not get married for friendship. That is ludicrous.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
California, the most liberal state in the nation, has proved exactly where Americans stand on this issue.
Actually, California is not the most liberal state. It's not even in the top 10, according to Gallup polls.

Wyoming, Mississippi, Utah Rank as Most Conservative States

Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Huh? I was explaining how comparing an interracial marriage to a homosexual marriage differs. In interracial marriages, you still have the fundamental make up of a marriage: a man and a woman. In same sex marriages you just have two men or two women.

Many people who get married end up procreating. In many religions people are encouraged to produce children within a marriage. Marriage for many is a religious ceremony that is the precursor to beginning a family. Some married couples cannot or choose not to have children, but marriage is still a special bond that is awarded to heterosexual couples.

Why gays need to be married baffles me. Why do their unions need to be called marriages when the fundamental make up in their relationship (gender) differs from the purpose of marriage? It just seems so nitpicky and annoying.

The 1400 concessions that you have repeatedly talked about desiring to have. By the way, what are some of those concessions?

No one is allowed to contract a civil marriage with a member of their own sex. You have not been singled out.

You have the option to commit yourself to your partner. Why in the world do you need to be each others husbands?

No, we don't. California, the most liberal state in the nation, has proved exactly where Americans stand on this issue. We are all treated equally. We just don't allow for special concessions for just any cause.

Yes, they do. You are dead set on getting married no matter what concessions are awarded to you. Just stay in your civil union and be happy.
religion does not define marriage under the law though.. do YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?
your point of view is from a religious PERSPECTIVE.. which has no weight in a court of law..
whatever it seems, or however you "feel" about it.. is irrelevant.. once you bring religion into the argument.. you're done! because it has nothing to do with religion

Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Fewer married couples are having kids, and more unmarried couples are. Cultural norms are always evolving. Try to keep up!

Numbers Drop for the Married With Children - washingtonpost.com
Believe me, I am up. Just because people outside of wedlock are having children doesn't mean any fewer people within marriages are. It also doesn't make gay marriage permissible. Try to stay on topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies