Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Race is an artificial construct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The premiss is so wrong on so many levels...
"In general, species interbreed. It's mutations that adapt to the environment that evolve species, not interbreeding.
Sorry it was suppose to be "don't interbreed", still maybe no more less disturbing.

Quote:
You make it sound that one day there is species A and sometime overnight there appeared mutation B and once mutation B appeared all sexual activity between group A and group B came to a crashing halt despite the fact that geographic isolation plays a huge and crucial part in the development specification, not some sort of perceived discrimination.
Work with me here, I'm just proposing a question, something more than the usual Palin thread.

Quote:
Ah, since humans are all members of the same species where does discriminatory DNA come into play????
I'm not sure. I'm thinking it would be perception.Maybe darker skin left a stigmata of slave laborer or lighter skin left the stigmata of unhealthy, maybe even hemophiliac.

Quote:
Not as long as people are home schooled or believe in intelligent design we will be saddled with these addled brained hypotheses.
You really think a "social" schooling or the abolition of religion will get rid of the differences we have? What IQ level will people realize it's just us and the planet, no gods? If they do realize that, what's to keep the planet from anarchy?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Race is an artificial construct.
I believe that too.

I've tried to convey such messages in the past although probably not successful.

I started with "Adam" and "Eve" who were most likely born in Africa and most likely of the darker decent.

Well the supposed dominant race these days are white which meant the human had to evolve to that sort of climate.

That doesn't mean that whitey runs things for all time though and it shows how little of importance race is anyways.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^ Well, whaddya know? We agree on something!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
you do understand that black people, white people etc. Are all the same species right?
Of course. I also understand there are underlying things that drive psychologies of different races. It appears you knocked your brain our of your ear.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Sorry it was suppose to be "don't interbreed", still maybe no more less disturbing.
Don't worry about it, I still understood your point, I think.

Quote:
Work with me here, I'm just proposing a question, something more than the usual Palin thread.
I honestly would love to work with you on a conceptual argument, the only problem is that your hypothesis is so off that there isn't much to work with.

Quote:
I'm not sure. I'm thinking it would be perception.Maybe darker skin left a stigmata of slave laborer or lighter skin left the stigmata of unhealthy, maybe even hemophiliac.
Well I'm absolutely positive that darker skin had no such stigmata until the attempt to rationalize racism in the 18th century when pseudo scientist developed an "biological" construct of race.

Quote:
You really think a "social" schooling or the abolition of religion will get rid of the differences we have? What IQ level will people realize it's just us and the planet, no gods? If they do realize that, what's to keep the planet from anarchy?
I would never call for the abolition of religion, and even if I would I don't think that would be the answer unless I could pick and choose which sects to abolish.. but I digress. Yes, I do believe that proper education in the biological sciences would go a long ways in solving a great deal of our problems. As for the IQ level needed to realize that it is just on this planet I sometime think that the idiot savant is leagues ahead of most of the population.

As for no gods to keep the planet from being in a state of anarchy? Humans did pretty damned well before the invention of religion.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
This is logical. Men are from Mars and women are from Venus.

[shrug]

Old 06-14-2011, 11:25 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,476 times
That post is so ignorant in regards to biology and psychology I just...

Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
In general, species don't interbreed.

America is the first real experiment of the mingling of races, it's no surprise it's rather tenacious and vitriolic.
All humans, regardless of color or race belong to the same species.

Your thread has failed, anyone who has taken 9th grade biology could see that.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
For discussion purposes.

In general, species don't interbreed. It's mutations that adapt to the environment that evolve species, not interbreeding.

So is prejudice built into our DNA, maybe as a survival technique?

Is it possible to ever understand this and move past it?

America is the first real experiment of the mingling of races, it's no surprise it's rather tenacious and vitriolic.
Wow. First of all, your suggestion that prejudice would be a "survival technique" is highly dubious and unscientific - to put it mildly. Furthermore, you have no evidence that prejudice is even a genetic characteristic. So basically, your entire premise seems to be pretty misguided. It appears to be a veiled attempt to broadcast some of your personal beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies