Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 PM

760 posts, read 685,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
They rail on the evil oil companies who rake in .02 to .05 off a gallon of gas while the state/fed pull down .40/.80 a gallon depending on where you live.
I'm paying $3.50 for a gallon. The government is taking in $.40 per gallon (here in Texas it's about $.20 fed/$.20 state). Someone want to explain where the rest of that money is going if the oil companies are only raking in .02 to .05 per gallon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
I'm paying $3.50 for a gallon. The government is taking in $.40 per gallon (here in Texas it's about $.20 fed/$.20 state). Someone want to explain where the rest of that money is going if the oil companies are only raking in .02 to .05 per gallon?
The bulk of what you are paying per gallon comes from the cost of the crude, refining, distribution and marketing costs. The cost per gallon of gasoline and diesel can be broken down as follows:
  • 10% - 12% = Taxes;
  • 05% - 11% = Distribution & Marketing;
  • 13% - 16% = Refining;
  • 64% - 69% = Crude Oil.
The percentages will vary from state to state of course. The above percentages are the national average break-down of the cost of gasoline and diesel.

Source: Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update

Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
This makes little sense to me. The U.S. is exporting a large quantity of oil. It is difficult to tell how much we export as a percent of production, but why do we export any? We obviously have a demand here in the U.S. because of the huge amount that we import so why don't we use our own oil.

It is a confusing maze because you have to look at both the refined fuel and the heavy oil.

I am not opposed to drilling, but where is the guarantee that if we drilled more that we would use the oil instead of exporting it to a better market, which brings up another question, why would another market be better.

U.S. Exports of Crude Oil and Petroleum Products
Something just does not add up here.

There is no guarantee. However, I will guarantee you this. If we do not produce more oil, prices will go up. Supply and demand baby.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:02 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
There is no guarantee. However, I will guarantee you this. If we do not produce more oil, prices will go up. Supply and demand baby.
That's nice and all, but from what I understand it will take somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years to bring any meaningful amount of oil to market, and even then the amount we bring isn't going to change the global price of crude all that much....

The other options could have us well on our way to being off oil all-together in 10 years and not having to worry about what the price of crude is today or, quite frankly, what's going on in the Middle East today...

I like the second options better.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:57 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
That's nice and all, but from what I understand it will take somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years to bring any meaningful amount of oil to market, and even then the amount we bring isn't going to change the global price of crude all that much....

The other options could have us well on our way to being off oil all-together in 10 years and not having to worry about what the price of crude is today or, quite frankly, what's going on in the Middle East today...

I like the second options better.
What other option? Where is this mythical alternate energy. People have to stop with the timeline to getting oil out of the ground objection. That is no reason to delay.

It is impossible to know the impact of future oil finds would have on the market.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well, you could consider lowering demand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies