Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 01:28 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
That's easy to say for somebody whose culture tells them that they have a future. What do you think the cultural impact is of a media that spends an inordinate amount of time focusing on the dregs of the black community (see "Cops", "Gangland", "Gang Wars", Blaxploitation films, Hood films, etc. etc.)? What do you think the cultural impact of said media is on white people's perception of blacks (and particularly on those who don't know any)?
You think it's only white people that watch that stuff? Why do they have that perception? The black culture creates it. White people didn't invent the "hood" culture. Sure, some white people capitalize on it, just like some white people capitalize on selling drugs to their white friends. So what?

My absolute first step would be to forget about the past (including every single one of those things you just mentioned, because they are all stereotypes arising from history), and refuse to let history get in the way of future success.

I'm not saying it's an easy solution, but blaming whitey won't get you anywhere.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:31 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
But you know they say that those that forget about the past are doomed to repeat it. It's like a Jew telling his child, "Forget the Holocaust, let's just move forward..."
You know what I mean. You know I don't mean you should literally blank slavery out of your mind. But I'll rephrase anyway.

My absolute first step would be to refuse to let history get in the way of future success.

Is that not the best way to fix it? Is that not better than dwelling on the past and letting it hold you back?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:33 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
If people no matter what race they are start viewing themselves as individuals and strive to make sure government views them as individuals and no groups they will find they aren't so poor in a nation with liberty.
When you depend on government to treat you as a victim of people who deserve free stuff individuals will fail with the group of underachieving thinkers and those who gladly take welfare.
It would be best to remove the welfare goods for the free markets of charity and self reliance.
That includes for the whites who are just as poor living in a trailer park.
But until businesses and government support the american ideas of liberty and freedom and restore good jobs in the nation instead of in mexico and indiaand china service jobs can not support a nation of failing central planning.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:34 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
That's easy to say for somebody whose culture tells them that they have a future. What do you think the cultural impact is of a media that spends an inordinate amount of time focusing on the dregs of the black community (see "Cops", "Gangland", "Gang Wars", Blaxploitation films, Hood films, etc. etc.)? What do you think the cultural impact of said media is on white people's perception of blacks (and particularly on those who don't know any)?
You do have a point about how those shows alter perceptions. Given the reality that those shows exist, it would make sense to figure out ways to prosper despite the shows and by not fitting into that perception. It would make sense not to dress like you just stepped off the set of these shows. It would also make sense to learn skills. As an additional step, it's wise to consider talking to people that have been successful and doing what they did.

These threads are full of people who accurately state that there are millions of blacks who do not fit the stereotype and are doing well. If those people have done it, then somehow the shows etc. didn't stop them. If I were struggling, I would plan to talk to as many people as I could that fit that category and get their advice.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:40 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You know what I mean. You know I don't mean you should literally blank slavery out of your mind. But I'll rephrase anyway.

My absolute first step would be to refuse to let history get in the way of future success.

Is that not the best way to fix it? Is that not better than dwelling on the past and letting it hold you back?
I understand what you are saying, but you are very vague? I don't think young black drug dealers dwell on slavery. I get the idea, but you'd actually step outside and do what? I'm not trying to be facetious. I'm genuinely interested.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You think it's only white people that watch that stuff? Why do they have that perception? The black culture creates it. White people didn't invent the "hood" culture. Sure, some white people capitalize on it, just like some white people capitalize on selling drugs to their white friends. So what?

My absolute first step would be to forget about the past (including every single one of those things you just mentioned, because they are all stereotypes arising from history), and refuse to let history get in the way of future success.

I'm not saying it's an easy solution, but blaming whitey won't get you anywhere.
White people didn't invent "hood" culture? Really?

So there was a difference in the "hoods" of some of the worse neighborhoods in New York or Chicago in the early 1900's than there is now? Really? The thugs that permeated the culture of the prohibition era sprung out of somewhere. Hell, they were thugging and tearing up sh*t even BEFORE the Prohibition Era....long before.

There is nothing new under the sun. Blacks didn't invent the thug or hood culture in this country. Not even close.

I do agree that we should get beyond the past. Forget the past? Hell no. Won't do it, can't do it, and shouldn't do it. And i'll make damn sure that my child and grandchildren understand what happened in the past too. The key is to use the past as an inspiration to move forward....and not get bogged down in it.

As for the "blaming whitey" stuff, no sense in going there. I'm black, and i've very rarely ever heard someone say something like that.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but you are very vague? I don't think young black drug dealers dwell on slavery. I get the idea, but you'd actually step outside and do what? I'm not trying to be facetious. I'm genuinely interested.
Young black people don't discuss slavery at all. Hell, i'm 45 years old, and i can't remember the last time slavery was brought up in any conversation with another black person.

People think that we talk about it far more than we actually do.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:45 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
In your opinions, how much of a role to you think American slavery plays (or has played) in the condition of poor or underachieving African-Americans today?

In others words, how much of the negative conditions/issues that Blacks face can be attributed to individual personal decisions, and how much can be atributted to the lingering affects of slavery, Jim Crow, welfare, etc.

For example, many believe that most blacks lack collective unity (like Jews, for example), but many scholars attribute this lack of unity to generations of mental conditioning brought about by slavery. When many Black Americans did unify to improve their condition in the 1960's, the fire was immediately extinguished with the assassination, murder, and arrest of nearly every galvanizing civil rights leader... then poor communities were flooded with drugs... then it was the war on drugs... and now corporate owned black radio stations are penalized if they do not play songs by rappers who glorify either sex, drugs, or money (or all three)...

What do you think Black Americans can realistically do to improve their family structure and overall economic/social condition?
None.

The problem is with bigoted libs who talk down to black folks, in an attempt to convince them how utterly pathetic they are on their own, and how desperately dependent they are on government, or on the race hustlers who make a living off angry and frightened people..

Old 06-15-2011, 01:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
In your opinions, how much of a role to you think American slavery plays (or has played) in the condition of poor or underachieving African-Americans today?
Absolutely none. Don't forget that were slaves. Period. If not here, then slaves under the Yoruba, Maasai, Ashanti, and other tribes. Overall, they fared far better here as slaves than in Africa as slaves.

Quote:
In others words, how much of the negative conditions/issues that Blacks face can be attributed to individual personal decisions, and how much can be atributted to the lingering affects of slavery, Jim Crow
None.

Black families were no different than any other. They were solid, hard-working, and well-educated, in spite of the fact that their schools were grotesquely underfunded. You can see that even now. Older Blacks are very articulate, literate, well-read and knowledgeable. The younger Blacks, well, if you can't rap it using the "F-word" they don't get it.

Quote:
welfare, etc.
Welfare destroyed the Black Family.

Too bad the Republicans weren't a majority in the House and Senate, otherwise their version of a revamped WPA would have been passed instead of the Democrat's Grotesque Society, and that would have changed everything. Instead of handouts, Black men would have been working in semi-skilled and skilled trades, inter-acting with other Black men and also White men that would allow them to foster relationships that later led to Black men owning their businesses in the services and trades. Those services would have been largely provided to the Black Community, but later expanded into the White Community, and eventually great success, that would have allowed them to send their children to university to have better jobs and opportunities than they had, and so it goes.

Quote:
For example, many believe that most blacks lack collective unity (like Jews, for example), but many scholars attribute this lack of unity to generations of mental conditioning brought about by slavery.
That would be nonsensical, not to mention stupid.

Every immigrant group in this country thrived in Ghettos. The Ghettos offered a lot of opportunities, not to mention community support. Blacks were widely dispersed, and not living in Ghettos. While there were some migrations to the Northern cities after the Civil War and again during and immediately after WWII, it wasn't really helpful, because a large number were still widely dispersed.

Quote:
When many Black Americans did unify to improve their condition in the 1960's, the fire was immediately extinguished with the assassination, murder, and arrest of nearly every galvanizing civil rights leader
That would be irrelevant, since no other immigrant group has ever had leaders.

Quote:
What do you think Black Americans can realistically do to improve their family structure and overall economic/social condition?
There are two separate groups: a thriving Black Middle Class that will continue to advance, and the Black Welfare Class who will continue to engage in insanity until someone cuts off their funding.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:46 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
...and then do what, literally?
Why, ACT upon them.

Stop doing things that only damage my life and the lives of others, for a start, such as dressing like a slob and talking trash.

If someone can afford to buy pants, they can afford to buy pants that fit, right?

People can clean up their language so every other word is not a curse word.

People can choose not to do drugs or stand around on a streetcorner looking tough.

I understand that it is hard to break out of a sterotype and acquire a feeling of self-worth, but it can be done. And that is really the crux of the problem, I think, the feeling that one's life is worth something. It's a tough row to hoe when generations before you have been beaten down (literally).

I know from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies