Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,746 times

Advertisements

Well a lot of the post WWII American innovation boom can be attritbuted to German engineering and innovation and the theft or take over of German companies, importing their scientists etc. That is fact! America has always been a country of innovation and technological advancement. Just look at our military. But then again what the hell would you expect when we spend more on defense than the next 20 countries combined. I would hope our return would be the best in the world. Sadly those days are over and the American economy is circling the drain thanks to our incompetent, corrupt, government and their corporate overlords. See that's the most depressing aspect. These corporations like GE etc. which were very loyal to the American economy could give a **** about being American or loyalty to the American economy. So future innovation will not be considered American...just some corporate monolithic global entity leading the way and getting all the credit. Globalization is killing America and will kill the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,331,463 times
Neon lights! My great, great, great, (IDK how many greats actually) grandfather invented neon lighting. Too bad he didn't patent it though.

What would Vegas be without NEON!?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:02 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
All I get when I check S. Korea Innovations are Multiple rocket launcher and Thundersticks Category:South Korean inventions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Call me crazy but I think our invention of Cancer chemotherapy adds more to the world than Thundersticks.
Haha are you ****ing serious? Chemotherapy has probably killed more people unnecessarily than many weapons. Chemotherapy for the most part is poison and is one of the most inefficient means of which to battle and fight cancer. You not only destroy cancer cells but you destroy the health of the host and its immune system. Yeah chemotherapy was an ingenuis invention...

Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Airplane. Car. Computers. Internet. Phone. Discovery of electricy. Oil wells.

I'm sure I could go on. Yawn.
I really don't care for these kinds of pissing matches and one of the reason is that like most things, inventions just don't come out of the inventors head but instead represent the cumulative knowledge of many inventors, scientist and others who came before them. The fact that the first person to perfect a particular device is laudable, to pretend that it was solely a product of their own genius is a bit of a stretch. For example, with Di Vinci's 1485 illustrated studies and George Cayley's research into aerodynamics where would the Wright brothers have been.

As for the automobile without Dutch physicist Christian Huygens work to develop the first internal combustion engine in 1680 not that it matters because the first car wasn't an American invention in the first place, see Karl Benz.

As you say, the list could go on and on.

Suffice it to say, that inventions are one of the primary achievements of mankind and such achievements are shared across the face of humanity.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,218,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Haha are you ****ing serious? Chemotherapy has probably killed more people unnecessarily than many weapons. Chemotherapy for the most part is poison and is one of the most inefficient means of which to battle and fight cancer. You not only destroy cancer cells but you destroy the health of the host and its immune system. Yeah chemotherapy was an ingenuis invention...
Tell that to my aunt.

It was a funny example of something very extreme from sticks used at Basketball games.

Lighten up!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The Wright Brothers were not the first in flight. That's a big American myth.

The first computer was invented in England. Look it up.

The car was not invented in the US. It was invented in the east.

The internet was not invented here either.

I think you should do more research before making general statements.
Ok, so I've heard that original versions of cars and certainly their combustion engines were not made in the US. But please enlighten me as to who made the first successful motorized airplane flight, who in England invented the computer, and who elsewhere in the world created the first version or working concept of the internet. I'm a bit dubious of your claims, and the quick internet research I have just done does not seem to back you up. But I'm willing to be educated.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:08 PM

724 posts, read 1,686,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ok, so I've heard that original versions of cars and certainly their combustion engines were not made in the US. But please enlighten me as to who made the first successful motorized airplane flight, who in England invented the computer, and who elsewhere in the world created the first version or working concept of the internet. I'm a bit dubious of your claims, and the quick internet research I have just done does not seem to back you up. But I'm willing to be educated.
I agree with this and would add that the OP's entire thread seems a bit of a contrarian cliche.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
But please enlighten me as to who made the first successful motorized airplane flight
The Wright brothers are credited with doing that, but the problem was cracked by other individuals at almost the same time. Once lightweight gasoline engines became available, people immediately started fitting them to gliders.

Quote:
who in England invented the computer
Hard to answer. Babbage is generally credited with the basic concept, Alan Turing with laying the mathematical/conceptual groundwork (hence we still talk of "Turing machines" and "Turing tests"), while the arguably first programmable electronic computer - Colossus - was built as a team effort at Bletchley Park. But it boils down to how you define computer.

Quote:
who elsewhere in the world created the first version or working concept of the internet.
The Internet - as in, the data transport network using packet switching, dynamic routing and IP addressing - is undoubtedly a US invention. The web - the concept of http and thus datasharing through browsers - is an overlay developed by a researcher at CERN. (Had to look it up: Tim Berners Lee.)

Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Cotton Gin - E Whitney.

Production Line - Ford.

Space Shuttle - NASA

TV - Sarnoff.RCA

Color TV - Sarnoff.RCA

HD transmission - Sarnoff

Suspension Bridge

Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 PM

27 posts, read 29,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The Wright Brothers were not the first in flight. That's a big American myth.

The first computer was invented in England. Look it up.

The car was not invented in the US. It was invented in the east.

The internet was not invented here either.

I think you should do more research before making general statements.
Actually the Wright Brothers were the first to create a machine capable of powered flight. Which is more important, and innovative, than what Europeans created with Hot-Air Balloons and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies