Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:13 PM

915 posts, read 1,191,263 times

Advertisements

I know it is said that immigrants must conform to our way of life, but that does not mean our way of life cannot be altered at all over time. When you mix 2 large amounts of anything, the resulting mixture has qualities from both sides.

If immigrants do not know how to speak English after living here for years, that is their shame. Not ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:19 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,103,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
I know it is said that immigrants must conform to our way of life, but that does not mean our way of life cannot be altered at all over time. When you mix 2 large amounts of anything, the resulting mixture has qualities from both sides.

If immigrants do not know how to speak English after living here for years, that is their shame. Not ours.
As an immigrant family, I find it offensive that you think I am either incapable of learning English, or unwilling. We came here for a better life, how disrespectful would it be for us to not even try to learn the language? If you were to move to another country, would you not be expected to learn that language?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
I don't think there should be a requirement for people to understand English... but I do believe that this nation should only support the English language. I don't want to see the DMV manual being released in Spanish, etc.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Check you state's Constitution. This is a 10th Amendment issue at this time. Many states have it written into their Constitutions that the business of that state will be conducted in English. This cuts the costs of the state when printing documents, ballots, signs, information pamphlets, bills, etc... .

Those who cannot or will not assimilate to the degree that they are willing to speak/read English should really not immigrate here. It doesn't mean that anyone must speak English, however there does have to be a single standard set for official correspondence and that of the court systems. It is unrealistic to believe that any state should have to keep interpreters on the payroll to readily interpret over 100 languages (see California) for those who cannot/will not learn English.

That said I think American children currently in our school systems should become fluent in at least two languages. It would allow them to compete better in the workplace not only in the US but abroad.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think there should be a requirement for people to understand English... but I do believe that this nation should only support the English language. I don't want to see the DMV manual being released in Spanish, etc.

Why not? As an immigrant family we were excited to learn it; outta respect and also because it would only help us get ahead. Did you know that we are the only 1st world country in the world that does not have an "official" language?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:28 PM

915 posts, read 1,191,263 times
What I am saying is that if someone comes here and does not learn English, they are only hurting themselves. They are limiting their personal and business interactions to people only within their own community which in my opinion puts them at a disadvantage.

But this is their choice to make. Not mine.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
What I am saying is that if someone comes here and does not learn English, they are only hurting themselves. They are limiting their personal and business interactions to people only within their own community which in my opinion puts them at a disadvantage.

But this is their choice to make. Not mine.

What does this even mean? You already speak English. We are the only developed nation in the world without an official language, and it's about high time that changed.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:32 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Did you know that we are the only 1st world country in the world that does not have an "official" language?
Another thing I like about us! One area we don't force conformity!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:34 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Did you know that we are the only 1st world country in the world that does not have an "official" language?
Is that an important issue?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Another thing I like about us! One area we don't force conformity!
How is a common language "conformity?" Did you think that I was incapable or unwilling to learn the language? Either way you had a very poor outlook of me. If you were to move to another country, I'd fully expect you to learn the language; out of respect and for your own advancement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies