Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:36 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,936 times

Advertisements

Seriously. Why is it people act like Israel is a perfect nation that never does anything wrong and lacks any power or influence in the world?

Why can't you disagree with it's policy's without being a Jew hater or something? I think afghan has terrible policies. Do I hate Muslims? No.

That logic doesn't extend to Israel for some here it seems. Israel must be like Scientology. Free from criticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,145,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Seriously. Why is it people act like Israel is a perfect nation that never does anything wrong and lacks any power or influence in the world?

Why can't you disagree with it's policy's without being a Jew hater or something? I think afghan has terrible policies. Do I hate Muslims? No.

That logic doesn't extend to Israel for some here it seems. Israel must be like Scientology. Free from criticism.
Yes, it is. Don't be bullied or intimidated.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 AM

764 posts, read 597,443 times
I really dislike how we have to pretend Israel is a perfect nation that hasn't done anything shady. They may not be as bad as alot of the Middle East, but they aren't perfect, and for some reason you can't bring that up...

Old 06-20-2011, 01:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
I really dislike how we have to pretend Israel is a perfect nation that hasn't done anything shady. They may not be as bad as alot of the Middle East, but they aren't perfect, and for some reason you can't bring that up...

I cannot rep you enough.

I grew up amongst Jews, went to school with Jews, and lived amongst Jews, and have a great admiration for the Jewish people. They have been overall a positive influence in America (and Canada, and Britain, etc.) At one time I greatly admired Israel, which for a long time seemed like the only Middle Eastern nation that shared our values. However, this isn't your father's Israel. The actions of Israel today, its repression of Palestinians, its drift away from democratic values towards racism, Putinism, a disregard for human rights, and a vicious ultra-nationalism fueled by the settler movement and espoused by politicians like Netanyahu and Lieberman have caused it to lose the moral authority it used to have to the point that today it has no more moral authority than Lebanon or Turkey. I support the Jewish people but I do not support Israel as it is right now - and if Israel continues to be an oppressive nation than the US should not financially support it, especially considering the US is more or less broke.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:09 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Research the Temple of Solomon and what happened to the Jewish, because they would not allow the Egyptians access.

The battle has raged for that long....

Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Is it possible to disagree with Israel without hating it or Jews in general? Seriously.
Sure you can.
But where's the fun in that sort of approach?

Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
Jews against Israel

YouTube - ‪Haredi Jews Against Israel‬‏

YouTube - ‪Jews Who Stand With Palestinians Against Israel‬‏

Old 06-20-2011, 05:29 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,518,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
rep'd

Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

I cannot rep you enough.

I grew up amongst Jews, went to school with Jews, and lived amongst Jews, and have a great admiration for the Jewish people. They have been overall a positive influence in America (and Canada, and Britain, etc.) At one time I greatly admired Israel, which for a long time seemed like the only Middle Eastern nation that shared our values. However, this isn't your father's Israel. The actions of Israel today, its repression of Palestinians, its drift away from democratic values towards racism, Putinism, a disregard for human rights, and a vicious ultra-nationalism fueled by the settler movement and espoused by politicians like Netanyahu and Lieberman have caused it to lose the moral authority it used to have to the point that today it has no more moral authority than Lebanon or Turkey. I support the Jewish people but I do not support Israel as it is right now - and if Israel continues to be an oppressive nation than the US should not financially support it, especially considering the US is more or less broke.
I agree that it is hard to know if one is criticizing Israel if they just don't agree with Israeli policies or are anti-Semitic. I think it depends on who is doing the criticizing.
As for the remarks above, Israel is no more racist or oppressive than it has been in the past. Israeli Arabs still prefer to live in Israel rather than in any future Palestinian country. Israel is still the most democratic country in the region.
As for the American financial support, I think the Americans should first take care of their own people's problems before sending financial support to any other country except in emergency/humanitarian situations. (I don't think Israel should be singled out. For example Egypt has been receiving financial support all these years and nobody was criticizing the former Egyptian regime for its actions towards its people.)

Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,784 times
I've come across a few irrational, far-right wing fascist Israelis and their supporters. I believe they are mostly ultra-Orthodox Jew, but there could be more sects involved. These are the ones who are loudest and most obnoxious about Israel. They commonly denounce any slight against Israel as being anti-Semitic in whole, and they commonly call more liberal Jews (the entire Reform sect, I believe) as anti-Semitic. They also routinely support the round up of Palestinians.

These are the ones who are most annoying about this subject. It's sad too, because they are supporting the very things that were imposed on them by Nazi Germany... yet they are so blind to it that they have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies