Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,390,380 times

Advertisements

Michelle Bachmann tweeted that the US is getting trounced economically by Canada, which she says is recovering inspite of having "no stimulus" spending.

Wrong Michelle! Canada spent $360 million in stimulus money, half the US total, in a country 1/10th our size.

If Bachmann wants to be taken seriously as a candidate, she's going to have to stop pulling stuff out of her butt. She's entitled to her own (screwy) opinions, but not her own facts.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/06/bachmann-canada-did-no-stimulus-oh-really.php?ref=fpc

Last edited by Gurbie; 06-21-2011 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Michelle Bachmann tweeted that the US is getting trounced economically by Canada, which she says is recovering inspite of having "no stimulus" spending.

Wrong Michelle! Canada spent $360 million in stimulus money, half the US total, in a country 1/10th our size.

If Bachmann wants to be taken seriously as a candidate, she's going to have to stop pulling stuff out of her butt. She's entitled to her own (screwy) opinions, but not her own facts.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/06/bachmann-canada-did-no-stimulus-oh-really.php?ref=fpc
So much silence from the righties, I wonder why?
Casper

Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,519,462 times
I'm only the 3rd post

Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I guess that makes her mistakes okay then.

Michelle Bachmann is not in charge of anything yet. She can say whatever she wants until election day.

Her "mistake" is not as bad as a Barry outright LIE.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:25 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Canada spent $360 million in stimulus money, half the US total, in a country 1/10th our size.
uhm

360 million is half of 890 billion.........?????????

btw 1/10 of the spending would have been 8.9 billion...1/100th of the spending would have been 890 million...so they spent about 1/250th of the money for a country 1/10th the size(in population)....so if reality they really didnt have any stimulus spending

so I guess you are just as wrong as that politician.....

btw specify when you say size,, because geographicly canada is actually larger....I understand you meant population

Old 06-21-2011, 11:26 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,527 times
Quote:

I didn't realize Canada was 1/10th our size.

Also, the Canadian stimulus was 40 billion compared to our 787 billion.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,584,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

I was thinking the same thing. Although I was thinking it was around $700 Billion, but still...

Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Barry said that he has created over 2.1 million jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
How awesome!

Another thread based on the ever so popular kids' game, "My dad can beat up your dad". Unfortunately the adults who participate in this game have downgraded it to, "My political party is only partially as horrifyingly disgusting as your political party".

Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Michelle Bachmann is not in charge of anything yet. She can say whatever she wants until election day.

Her "mistake" is not as bad as a Barry outright LIE.
People running for President are on their game--showing you their best. If they cannot do that during their campaign (or whatever she is doing) then, I don't expect much more of them when they have gotten where they want to be. I look at the candidates as if they were on a job interview. So, I don't agree that she can say what she wants.

Personally, I don't care about little "mistakes" but I also won't pass them off because someone who opposes my candidate did the same or worse. Each person should stand on their own merit.

I think the American people deserve better than sloppy candidates.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 AM

958 posts, read 2,622,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

No, you're as wrong as she is. 360 million? Where'd you come up with that one? Did you read it in full? Apparently not. Here's the quote.

"As Bloomberg reported in January 2009, this stimulus was CAN$40 billion, equal in then-current exchange rates to US$32.6 billion, over two years (a similar period as Obama's US$787 billion stimulus). If we make further adjustments, using IMF data for each country from the year 2008 for purchasing-power parity, per-capita GDP, and the much larger population of the United States, this would work out as very roughly equal to a stimulus of over US$360 billion if it were done here."

It's really not that hard to comprehend, if you read what was written, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies