Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
What about those who are poor because they decided to have 5 kids when they only make enough money to raise one child?
I feel sorry for the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
What about those who are poor because they decided to have 5 kids when they only make enough money to raise one child?
What about 'em?

Really, what do people get out of this "i don't feel sorry for so-an-so" stuff? It's amazing how so many people aren't happy unless they're looking down on someone else. In my whole damn life, i've never had a poor person come up to me asking for me to feel sorry for them. Most don't even want you to know that they're poor.

Anyway, enough of this nonsensical thread.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
I don't think it's the same for all peoples, but there are a good chunk of people who don't perform to their potential. In that group, there exists two sub-groups. Those who are lazy and those who don't recognize opportunities to perform to their potential. How many of each, is the question. And then you must realize that there are most likely all other sorts of groups out there.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Even with a disability, you don't necessarily have to resign yourself to poverty. Most disabled people can work. I had two jobs when I was totally deaf-blind. It's doable. It just takes a lot of patience and hard work. I was poor but that's cause I was spreading it across three people. If I was using it just for myself I would have had plenty of money to live on comfortably.

That said, easy to judge and hard to be judged. There are a million reasons someone could be resigning themselves to poverty and you and I just don't know what those reasons could be. So though they may appear able-bodied and able to make their own way, there may be something going on in their life that you and I simply don't know about that makes it impossible or near-impossible for them to climb up the ladder.

Another thing to keep in mind is that comparing people is not fair because people don't have a frame of reference experientially. We may know they have it worse in Afghanistan, for example, but we just don't know what it's actually like to live through those conditions, so we don't have the experiential frame of reference to understand what it's like and appreciate our conditions in the U.S.

It's like trying to compare a colorblind person to someone with regular sight. The colorblind person does not miss the color blue if they have never seen it and the person with regular sight would feel a loss if they were to become colorblind. Their frame of reference is different so their reaction to the same conditions will also be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies