Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support reparations?
Yes 27 9.57%
No 255 90.43%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
4 decades is not a lot of time. Let's also remember that racism still exists.

Did you know that a Black person with the same qualifications as a White person working at the same job, will on average make less than his White counterpart?

Did you know that unemployment for Blacks with a bachelor's degree is double that of unemployment for Whites with bachelor's degree?

Did you know that Blacks with a Master's degree make less on average than their White counterparts?

Did you know that Blacks with the same financial standing as Whites were offered subprime mortgages at a higher rate?

Did you know that Blacks that are convicted of the same crime as a White person are more likely to have a harsher punishment?

Did you know that Black students are more likely to in worse trouble for doing the same thing as their White counterparts in elementary school?

Did you know that you're less likely to be interviewed for a job with a Black sounding name than a White sounding name...with the same qualifications?

Did you know that a Black person is more likely to be pulled over than a White person?

Did you know that a Black person has a higher risk of police violence than a White person for the same crime?

Did you know that Blacks have a higher foreclosure rate per capita?

It will take a lot longer than four decades to reverse slavery and segregation, especially at how we approach the subject.

However, the good news is that those that benefited by the large expansion of the middle class in the 1960s-1970s and again in the 1990s are doing okay. Though they may make less and have a higher unemployment rate, those that made it past that strata no longer deal with the racism that exists. Those in the top 10% of earners essentially are set. What is thus occurring is a wealth gap within the Black community...that part is not really good news.

Money is only part of the answer. Money enables power allows for greater organization and mobilization. Without money, the means to change things does not exist. However good policies are the other component.
Good post but I'd say that a great idea would be to add a donation box on the 1040 form asking people to donate to a slave reparations fund.

As you say money isn't the only answer but I think Americans would not be against a fund to help pay tuition for black students in the sciences.

This way the whole country can be helped by a small sacrifice from each of us.

Last edited by clb10; 11-05-2013 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:00 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
4 decades is not a lot of time. Let's also remember that racism still exists.

Did you know that a Black person with the same qualifications as a White person working at the same job, will on average make less than his White counterpart?

Did you know that unemployment for Blacks with a bachelor's degree is double that of unemployment for Whites with bachelor's degree?

Did you know that Blacks with a Master's degree make less on average than their White counterparts?

Did you know that Blacks with the same financial standing as Whites were offered subprime mortgages at a higher rate?

Did you know that Blacks that are convicted of the same crime as a White person are more likely to have a harsher punishment?

Did you know that Black students are more likely to in worse trouble for doing the same thing as their White counterparts in elementary school?

Did you know that you're less likely to be interviewed for a job with a Black sounding name than a White sounding name...with the same qualifications?

Did you know that a Black person is more likely to be pulled over than a White person?

Did you know that a Black person has a higher risk of police violence than a White person for the same crime?

Did you know that Blacks have a higher foreclosure rate per capita?

It will take a lot longer than four decades to reverse slavery and segregation, especially at how we approach the subject.

However, the good news is that those that benefited by the large expansion of the middle class in the 1960s-1970s and again in the 1990s are doing okay. Though they may make less and have a higher unemployment rate, those that made it past that strata no longer deal with the racism that exists. Those in the top 10% of earners essentially are set. What is thus occurring is a wealth gap within the Black community...that part is not really good news.

Money is only part of the answer. Money enables power allows for greater organization and mobilization. Without money, the means to change things does not exist. However good policies are the other component.
Good post but I'd say that a great idea would be to add a donation box on the 1040 form asking people to donate to a slave reparations fund.

As you say money isn't the only answer but I think Americans would not be against a fund to help pay tuition for black students in the sciences.

This way the whole country can be helped by a small sacrifice from each of us.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
well for one they could stop throwing 10x blacks in jail for weed then whites.. just legalize it..

Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
At the time, slaves were considered PROPERTY. Should I pay reparations to my car if I fail to change the oil?
Dear Lord...... Reading that almost makes me not want answer honestly. However....

A hundred years ago it would have been very, very appropriate, but that time has passed. No one living today was slave when it was legal in this country. We have created laws to attempt to partially erase some of the multi-generational effects. At this point, we all need to work on letting go of the sins of our ancestors. We should never forget our past but it is time to let go of the emotional baggage it carries.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Nope, but I'd like to see all people treated equally, with dignity and respect.
They are for the most part, not to much you can do if someone practices individual racism.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And they're broke compared to the average American, thus why there's a relative poverty line.
We need to redefine poverty in this nation. Poverty is not being unable to have expensive shoes or electronic things. Poverty is not having a home, enough food, or utilities.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
No.

Never before in the history of human kind has so much been given to so few who have done nothing with it.

Let's face it, the black community has had ALL of the advantages for the last 4 decades.

What have they done with the advantage?

Remember the Philadelphia philanthropist who took 125 "underprivileged" black 1st graders under his wing? He promised them 100% tuition for life.

The result? 2 graduated with 4 year degrees. 2 graduated with 2 year degrees.

Most dropped out, went to prison, became unwed welfare moms.

Money is NEVER the answer.
I.Q. Issue???

Old 11-05-2013, 08:40 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Nope, but I'd like to see all people treated equally, with dignity and respect.

It is a shame that so many fail to see that good manners, showing respect or treating others the way we ourselves wish to be treated costs absolutely nothing.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They shed that blood because they were attacked at Fort Sumpter and wanted to save the Union, not because they wanted to help black folks. Freeing the slaves was a peripheral action.
That is funny you say that, because most blacks on this forum would insist the civil war was fought only because of slavery. Slavery was only part of the reason, and would have been abolished eventually, war or not.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:32 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default This Is A Old Post But What The Heck

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why do you always say that 300 million other Americans have similar stories to mine?

If they did, there would be nobody on welfare, unemployment, food stamps, etc.

My point is that many people have had hard times, not just blacks. The others, however, didn't stop evolving socially. The black community seems to have a built in excuse.

Nobody gave white people a break just for being white.

It sounds as if you had a pretty good start.

Why are you so bitter?

The vast majority of people on Welfare , Unemployment and Food Stamps are White People <Caucasian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies