Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:04 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually that makes a lot of sense. Even though a server might hold 100 different companies on it, the hard drive is broken up into sectors and each sector isnt dedicated to a single company. While we view "folders", thats not how data is saved. The only way to view all of the sectors is to take the whole server..

While they did take the whole server rack, which has different drives, this is because traffic gets routed through different pc's, all of the traffic, for all of the companies, gets routed through the same router and hence they share an IP. Furthermore, if you are violating the law, they will take all of the pc's, even the ones not hooked to the same IP, provided they share a facility.. Warrants are issued per property address, not IP's.
You don't know that all those complaining are date equipment experts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbow View Post
makes you realize what fools and idiots we have blindly elected to do this crap and then let it perpetuate.

The stupid progressive mentality, that everyone must suffer for the actions of one, to teach the rest a lesson.

We are all punished for the actions of a few. That is freedom and liberty at its finest, brought to you via the progressive mindset
fbi=kgb?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
pg..that image and explanation was not directed at you.
There are others posting here that are not familiar with server racks/servers.
Ok, but there just isnt enough information here to determine if the FBI overextended what they could have done. If each website was on a dedicated IP, then they COULD have taken just the server needed, but they have no obligation to minimize the damages.

If they shared an IP among multiple websites, (which is becoming far too common due to costs), then the FBI would have taken every server on a rack, or even in a building and done so properly.

Since we dont know if they were sharing IP's among other companies, we cant decide if the actions were overkill or not.

Regardless, the FBI is under no obligation to minimize your losses or your troubles, if you are accused of breaking the law, or in this instance, offering services to someone breaking the law by offering a server hosting illegal data (allegedly), its your responsibility as a hosting provider, to make sure your clients are operating legally or you get troubled when the FBI comes and takes your servers and need to be prepared to have all of your servers taken.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
What should anyone expect?
This is the same agency that took 16 years to catch a guy hiding in plain sight.
Government does not employ the best and brightest.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
"cloud" is just the next cool name for client/server.
In this case it's fail over hosting and as explained by the company owner if my site goes viral it won't be effected so its bit more than some cool name. In any event the point is storage across multiple disks.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I notice you always fail to mention that the dems voted for the PA also. And hasn't the Obama admin extended it.

But, I forgot, you aren't partisan.

Let see what else `ol Tempest has failed to see.

One of the most recent... Lets take a deep look into the BP oil spill.

The Progressive mindset. An isolated event. A single bad guy(that turned out, was our own Government) Yet everyone is punished and still being punished, after it was found to be the Governments own inspectors not doing their job and playing grabass.

New rules and more regulation along with higher fees to operate, paid to the Government(tax)

Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ok, but there just isnt enough information here to determine if the FBI overextended what they could have done. If each website was on a dedicated IP, then they COULD have taken just the server needed, but they have no obligation to minimize the damages.
Very true. My experience has only been in the area of big corporates/banks.
Those data centers are huge and redundancy plans span multiple floors in the same building as well as separate centers in separate states.

From reading the article it seems they only raided the single center so it may be a small outfit for smaller business. I'm not familiar with how that it run.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Quote:
The FBI won't comment.
Do you understand servers and server racks and data centers ?

I do. The FBI should have had someone familiar with IT hardware and server setup on that raid. Then only that server would have been taken down. Maybe the data center folks would have been given time to move the innocent customers from that server to other servers so they could continue doing their business.

The FBI acted like a bull in a china shop when there was no reason to do so.
They raided at 3am and just took what they wanted.

This was cyber crime, not a bomb threat at the airport.
I understand them. I also understand that you don't make wild assumptions based on the word of one party...But as usual, don't let that stop you.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
From reading the article it seems they only raided the single center so it may be a small outfit for smaller business. I'm not familiar with how that it run.
A lot of hosting companies don;lt have their own building and use colocation, they rent the space and provide the hardware, technicians themselves.

As the article states no one from the company was there during the raid.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In this case it's fail over hosting and as explained by the company owner if my site goes viral it won't be effected so its bit more than some cool name. In any event the point is storage across multiple disks.
Somewhat. If your program needs data from multiple sources and one of those sources goes down you're in the same boat..can't access your data but your program can run.

Also there is no defined standard yet. Each "cloud" provider can define his own and you might be SOL if they go belly up.

Google docs is a good simple example.

Import/export of docs can change the format and in some cases renders your document/spreadsheet unreadable.

I found it easier to just keep my docs local (use OpenOffice) and attach the doc rather than import and redo in Google docs.

If you stick to one source though, it's great because you can access online from anywhere. There's pros and cons depending on what you need and how you use the data. It's coming around though as standards take time to form.

I'm not knocking it..just not 100% buying into it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies