Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
So get a lawyer and write a contract. Leave marriage out of this. If it was only about a contract, why are people whining?
Because all it takes is one person of your mindset in, say, a hospital.

"Sorry, visitation is for family only - you're obviously not the spouse" - and somebody dies alone in a hospital room while their loved one sits crying in the parking lot. This actually happens.

It's not a remote hypothetical or an interesting moral discussion about Bible verses, your attitude causes real, tangible pain. I guess the wquestion is whether it's a Christian thing to do - to let other people suffer for your desire to feel morally superior?

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 06-28-2011 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
I am married. That makes my opinion on the subject relevant.
Well, I am married, too. And for some reason, I don't see my marriage threatened or cheapened the slightest bit by gay marriage. So - sorry if your marriage is fragile enough to be influenced by somebody else getting married.

Quote:
Don't try to redefine what marriage is. You don't have that right.
According to some, I already have. After all, it's an interfaith marriage, something manifestly not recognized by many, many congregations. Who, I am sure, also think that "their opinion on the subject is relevant."

Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

"Sorry, visitation is for family only - you're obviously not the spouse" - and somebody dies alone in a hospital room while their loved one sits crying in the parking lot. This actually happens.

It's not a remote hypothetical or an interesting moral discussion about Bible verses, your attitude causes real, tangible pain. I guess the wquestion is whether it's a Christian thing to do - to let other people suffer for your desire to feel morally superior?
Married Same Sex Couple In Vermont Faces Deportation:

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-28-2011 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: discuss the thread topic and NOT other posters

Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:

I honestly wouldn't care if you wanted to visit your boyfriend in the hospital. Do you have an actual link to a real news story that shows that this sort of thing happens with any amount of regularity to it? More than once in the past 10 years?
Quote:
I am sorry you have an issue with my morals. I really am. You question if it's "Christian" to call a sin a sin. I don't advocate that we be mean or rude, or mistreat you because of who you sleep with...I honestly don't care.

The gay lobby is forcing a lot of stuff on Christian America that we find offensive as well. But then you don't stop to think about that, do you?

Quote:
Well, I am married, too. And for some reason, I don't see my marriage threatened or cheapened the slightest bit by gay marriage. So - sorry if your marriage is fragile enough to be influenced by somebody else getting married.
Bully for you. You are one person. Your opinion matters, but you don't speak for everyone.
Quote:
According to some, I already have. After all, it's an interfaith marriage, something manifestly not recognized by many, many congregations. Who, I am sure, also think that "their opinion on the subject is relevant."
My church would recognize an interfaith marriage. I'm not catholic.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:01 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times
I love it, the way that ppl who are opposed to gay marriage are automatically labelled as "anti-gay bigots", just b/c they happen to object to that particular lifestyle, and practice of arbitrarily redefining marriage (in their favor), vs. as it has historically been known for millennia

Why doesn't it go both ways though? Why aren't pro-marriage gay ppl also labelled as "anti-hetero bigots"?

Just b/c a gay person calls a straight person opposed to gay marriage a bigot, doesn't automatically make him or her so. I am a straight guy who supports gay civil unions, but opposes gay marriage.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:02 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
I honestly wouldn't care if you wanted to visit your boyfriend in the hospital. Do you have an actual link to a real news story that shows that this sort of thing happens with any amount of regularity to it? More than once in the past 10 years?

I am sorry you have an issue with my morals. I really am. You question if it's "Christian" to call a sin a sin. I don't advocate that we be mean or rude, or mistreat you because of who you sleep with...I honestly don't care.

The gay lobby is forcing a lot of stuff on Christian America that we find offensive as well. But then you don't stop to think about that, do you?

Bully for you. You are one person. Your opinion matters, but you don't speak for everyone.

My church would recognize an interfaith marriage. I'm not catholic.

Giving other people equal rights is not forcing anything on anybody.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:06 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Why doesn't it go both ways though? Why aren't pro-marriage gay ppl also labelled as "anti-hetero bigots"?
I've never met a gay person who was against straight marriage while advocating marriage for gays only. If I did, I would consider them to be prejudiced against heterosexuals.

Quote:
Just b/c a gay person calls a straight person opposes to gay marriage a bigot, doesn't automatically make him or her so. I am a straight guy who supports gay civil unions, but opposes gay marriage.
I agree with this too. One can be against same-sex marriage and not necessarily be bigoted. I'm against same-sex marriage and opposite-sex marriage. I'm against legal marriage in general. I think it's stupid. I think we should give up the idea of giving marriage benefits to anyone and we should just consider everyone an individual in the eyes of the state.

And I'm gay myself so I'm obviously not bigoted towards gays.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:07 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I love it, the way that ppl who are opposed to gay marriage are automatically labelled as "anti-gay bigots", just b/c they happen to object to that particular lifestyle, and practice of arbitrarily redefining marriage (in their favor), vs. as it has historically been known for millennia

Just b/c a gay person calls a straight person opposes to gay marriage a bigot, doesn't automatically make him or her so. I am a straight guy who supports gay civil unions, but opposes gay marriage.
As far as it going the other way, well no one is trying to deny equal marriage rights to heterosexuals. Hell considering the support same sex marriage has, and the amount of people who are actually gay, the vast majority of those who support same-sex marriage (like myself) are heterosexual.

Now if someone were to say only homosexuals can get married and heterosexuals can't, then that would be an anti-hetero bigot, but of course no one is making that argument.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
If gays ever try to interfere with your ability to marry or worship, feel free to get back to me. Till then, it just doesn't compare. Gay rights groups aren't trying to actively take away the rights of religious people the way religious groups are trying to take away the rights of gay people. So I'm not exactly sure what gay people are "forcing" on America. I have yet to meet a gay person that tells straight people how to live, yet I have met many straight people that try to tell gay people how to live.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:10 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Adults should be able to enter into any contractual agreements with other adults of their choosing. Panicking over the idea of adults marrying children is just silly and irrational. Why do we need the government to sanction our marriages at all?
Because "conservatives" want less government....oh wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies