Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:24 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Typical Medicare beneficiaries receive 2-3x in benefits compared to the money they put in. No private insurance entity could stay in business with that sort of payout risk.
Exactly, you are preaching to the choir. No one can make money insuring elderly sick people with a zillion diseases. The only place where money can be made is in insuring the young.

Medicare insures the old and loses money----------rightfully so.
Private Health Insurance provides coverage to the young and makes a profit.

What is wrong with this picture????????? Can you see it??

Old 10-12-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
OK, you are free to pay $20,000 per simple surgery that would cost around $2,000 somewhere in the Western Europe to an uninsured foreigner. You are free to pay $10,000 per ER visit to set a simple broken bone, the service that even gosh forsaken poor countries feel obliged to provide free of charge to everyone unlucky enough to break that bone. Even despicable insurance industry cannot contain boundless greed of medical biz. Why do you defend indefensible? Why do we need an overpriced industry whose services we cannot afford?
Docs and hospitals do pro-bono work regularly.

Whatever a doctor or a hospital charges for services is moot since the pay schedule is set by Medicare and the Private Insurance. The only docs that can charge at lib are the plastic surgeons.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:42 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
That was my experience in the past 10 years, minor health issues, make appointments with a doc, I listen bunch of trivialities diluted with fake smiles, issue was not solved, I do research, order bloodtests (myself) through labcorp, point at a mistake in dosage or the kind of medication, get my suggestion rubberstamped, get pills, feel better. Basically, I do all the work, and pay tribute to medical biz holding monopoly over the most innocent prescriptions (steady, unearned income raketeers enjoy). Then I get a major problem, the morons show total lack of common sense, expertise (plenty of fake smiles though), and basic human concern, they screw me etc. really bad and get paid hansomely in the process. The medical monopoly over prescriptions generate steady business but makes no sense for huge number of meds. Hey, if I cannot afford $300 per trivial visit, I should be given an option to "self-medicate", it is not rocket science really.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

Whatever a doctor or a hospital charges for services is moot since the pay schedule is set by Medicare and the Private Insurance. The only docs that can charge at lib are the plastic surgeons.
As somebody who was overcharged 20 times fold by a hospital, no kidding, the sobs have no shame, I would say that they can charge at will anyone who has no big, bad insurance guys fighting for their slice of a pie, imagination is their only bound if they know you are on your own.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:50 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Exactly, you are preaching to the choir. No one can make money insuring elderly sick people with a zillion diseases. The only place where money can be made is in insuring the young.

Medicare insures the old and loses money----------rightfully so.
Private Health Insurance provides coverage to the young and makes a profit.

What is wrong with this picture????????? Can you see it??
I'm not preaching to you. This is for general information. You already get it.

Medicare will necessarily increase our deficits/National Debt moving forward, unless we the people decide otherwise.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
As somebody who was overcharged 20 times fold by a hospital, no kidding, the sobs have no shame, I would say that they can charge at will anyone who has no big, bad insurance guys fighting for their slice of a pie, imagination is their only bound if they know you are on your own.
Hospital bills are very negotiable. Find out what the insurers pay your hospital for similar encounters, and shoot for 1/2 of that. Be sure to look and sound destitute or disreputable when you talk with them. 1/3 is typically very easy.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:

I dont want pro bono, I dont want them working for free, I want sane, reasonably priced service the rest of the developed world enjoys. If a median income does not buy much of healthcare, there is no point for that industry, it should be re-classified as luxury goods provider.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I'm not preaching to you. This is for general information. You already get it.

Medicare will necessarily increase our deficits/National Debt moving forward, unless we the people decide otherwise.
If medicare insured the young folks they could make some money to offset the expense of covering the elderly.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
That was my experience in the past 10 years, minor health issues, make appointments with a doc, I listen bunch of trivialities diluted with fake smiles, issue was not solved, I do research, order bloodtests (myself) through labcorp, point at a mistake in dosage or the kind of medication, get my suggestion rubberstamped, get pills, feel better. Basically, I do all the work, and pay tribute to medical biz holding monopoly over the most innocent prescriptions (steady, unearned income raketeers enjoy). Then I get a major problem, the morons show total lack of common sense, expertise (plenty of fake smiles though), and basic human concern, they screw me etc. really bad and get paid hansomely in the process. The medical monopoly over prescriptions generate steady business but makes no sense for huge number of meds. Hey, if I cannot afford $300 per trivial visit, I should be given an option to "self-medicate", it is not rocket science really.
You do have the option with OTC meds. Other than that it can get very dicey very quickly for the ill informed. As a doc myself I will give many reliable and knowledgeable patients all sorts of prn meds, that they can basically take from there and manage on their own.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Good for you. Next time try to provide a better medical history. It takes a lot of talent to make an accurate diagnosis in 10-15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies