Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you back the court's decision, which was a victory for mandatory obamacare
yes, we should have mandatory health insurance 9 19.57%
no, no american should be forced to buy health insurance 35 76.09%
not sure/don't care either way 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's like that for our local doctor in Apex, who only accepts cash and no insurance. Couple of small islands on Jordan Lake but he doesn't do business over there.

On a more serious note, I visit him and I'm just a poor grad student, because he comes so highly rated. Even if government made it illegal, I'm sure they'd find ways to keep practicing what they love.
I wonder why more doctors don't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I wonder why more doctors don't do that.
It's becoming more popular. They find it easier and a more pleasant environment to work with patients.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
It's becoming more popular. They find it easier and a more pleasant environment to work with patients.
Something can become popular when there is no other choice. So the question now is, what is driving that? Why didn't it start sooner? And is it going to be a slow, prolonged process or a quick one? You would think something good would be picked up and run with right away?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Something can become popular when there is no other choice. So the question now is, what is driving that?
Some doctors are more noble and prefer expending their entire effort with the patient rather than with the administrative paperwork. One Minnesota cash-only doctor even accepts eggs and other foodstuffs as a "tip". I'm sure she'll make great friends with the IRS.

Quote:
Why didn't it start sooner? And is it going to be a slow, prolonged process or a quick one? You would think something good would be picked up and run with right away?
Some doctors are greedy. They realize they can make a little more money from the taxpayer and insurance companies and spend less time with the patient if they accept insurance, subsidized or not. If UHC is very generous, you'll find the greediest doctors accepting it. You'll want to find doctors who refuse any sort of public option or UHC program.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Study: Doctors More Likely To Drop Private Insurance Than Medicare : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

One big question: Does the squeeze on Medicare that has limited the program's pay increases to doctors lead them to see fewer of those patients?

Some researchers decided to look at recent data for clues. And they found a slight drop — a little less than 3 percent in the proportion of doctors taking new Medicare patients between 2005 and 2008.

But that drop, which still left 93 percent of docs taking new Medicare patients, wasn't much compared with the hit for patients with typical private insurance.

Read more. I thought this was interesting, in light of all the publicity, threads on CD, etc about doctors dropping Medicare. I know, slightly off-topic.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Some doctors are more noble and prefer expending their entire effort with the patient rather than with the administrative paperwork. One Minnesota cash-only doctor even accepts eggs and other foodstuffs as a "tip". I'm sure she'll make great friends with the IRS.
And that is the kind of doctors I implied in one of my first responses, when you suggested doctors will not accept UHC patients. Such doctors happen to be in my family.

Quote:
Some doctors are greedy. They realize they can make a little more money from the taxpayer and insurance companies and spend less time with the patient if they accept insurance, subsidized or not. If UHC is very generous, you'll find the greediest doctors accepting it. You'll want to find doctors who refuse any sort of public option or UHC program.
And that would be the kind of doctors who would oppose UHC.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
Quote:
welcome to the evisceration of free choice in america. i suppose they will be able to tell us what we can and can't eat, and that will be good for us too. (after all, it would keep healthcare costs down....)
I guess people like you can stop freeloading off of my health insurance premiums now. Things cost money in this country and it's time you actually paid your own way. Kind of silly for you to be crying about it.

Given how upset you are about this, it's odd that you aren't making any posts that every state requires automobile insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies