Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 PM

47 posts, read 86,607 times

Advertisements

I live paycheck to paycheck, and I have a decent set up. I live within my means, and I never use "credit" for things I can't afford right then and there. I am a very patient person and I work hard for everything I have. It pains me to see women picking up their kids from daycare after staying HOME all day doing God knows what, knowing that they are most likely getting free childcare (while I shell out $500 monthly) AND they roll up in a tricked out gas guzzling vehicle....doesn't seem to be fair. The foodstamp thing is funny too...I just read last week that a few states allow the use of food stamps at fast food restaurants...give me break! I think that is the most stupid idea ever! If you need assistance and have to rely on foodstamps, then you are in NO position to be eating out. For a family of 4 to go out, it's around $25 or so, that would go so much further at the grocery store..and you'd have a hopefully healthier meal.

I just don't get it...there's a boy in my son's class whose mother always brags about going out the night before, blowing all her funds, and she gets to take her boy to school for free, then go back home and nurse her hangover. While I'm at work, my hubby is at work, and barely making ends meet...

Grrrrrrr...........just venting...

Last edited by Bo; 07-07-2011 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Is this truly a daycare program or is it a Head Start program designed to give the kid a leg up on school?

Old 07-07-2011, 02:31 PM

418 posts, read 784,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojahseh81 View Post
It pains me to see women picking up their kids from daycare after staying HOME all day doing God knows what,
It depends what they are doing at home... they may actually have a job and be working from at home.

When I was working at home some folks asked me if I switched jobs... given I seemed to be at home all day and went out only in the evenings.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
This doesn't seem like a specificially local topic...maybe more of a debate on whether or not recipients of free day care and/or food stamps are abusing the system?

As far as I know, in order to get free child care, the moms have to be working. They can get a week of child care once while they're looking for a job, but other than that, no job, no daycare. Possibly they work weekends...lots of people who don't make much money work the weekends...and so they have days off during the week instead.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:54 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,959 times
what really bugs me is that in this country you can get pregnant while you are a teenager, spend every night out partying and "dating," get sent to jail on charges of killing your baby, be found innocent and then end up a multi-millionaire thanks to book deals and paid interviews at the ripe ol' age of 25.

Some days I really wonder why I bother following all the rules when clearly that is nothing but a one-way ticket to nowhere...

Old 07-07-2011, 05:07 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,431,637 times
Life isn't fair. Never will be. Worry about yourself and what makes you happy. Don't worry about other folks.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:52 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,655,378 times
Up until last year maybe year before you could buy your medical pot with the Cali version of the Lone Star card. That would get me if I had to live there! You can smoke if you want but I don't want to pay for yours!

Old 07-07-2011, 06:35 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,177,920 times
Like my dad used to tell me when I'd say "That's not fair"

"The fair comes in September, and it's 5 bucks to get in"

Old 07-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,547,026 times
I understand all of this. I remember growing up teachers would say "Buy good tires for your Car. They will save your life." Then you find out how much "Good tires" cost and you can't afford them. You get hurt and the hospital bill is a thousand dollars. How do you pay that? I was working an 8 to 5 job. As soon as my salary got over 12 dollars an hour, they didn't want me anymore. I struggled and stayed employed. I met a homeless woman who was deserted by her husband. I let her move in with me. I got her the lone star card and SSI. She is better off than me now. I don't get unemployment even though I have worked since I was 18. I do what I can and spend my retirement money as little as possible. My last job was with the Census. Just do what you gotta do and don't think about anything else. I am selling stuff on Ebay, why don't you have a look?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
that they are most likely getting free childcare (while I shell out $500 monthly) AND they roll up in a tricked out gas guzzling vehicle
You guys really need a new story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies