Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:12 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times

Advertisements

Economists warn that dramatic spending cuts could double dip the recession and kill the already fragile economy. Republicans are taking us on a one way ticket to the abyss.

I Ruined the Economy and All I Got Were These Lousy Tax Cuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Lol, what a dreadful piece of tripe. There is so much silliness in this piece the OP should be ashamed to link to it. There is so much to be easily refuted, I will start at the top. The piece warns that "most" economists warn of a double dip if there are spending cuts, then goes on to quote one left wing economists. So it begs the question who are these " most" economists? Also what effect would a down grade of our debt have (because we have too much, as the ratings agencies have warned us) on our economy?

Stand by for more debunking.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
From the about us page of the OP's source;

Quote:
At the dawn of a new progressive era and a time of economic transformation for the United States and the world, The American Prospect will strengthen the capacity of activists, engaged citizens, and public officials to pursue new policies and new possibilities for social justice.
Not what I'd consider fertile ground for the airing of factual unbiased analysis of the economy.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Boo hoo! Another I Hate the Rich thread.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Economists warn that dramatic spending cuts could double dip the recession and kill the already fragile economy. Republicans are taking us on a one way ticket to the abyss.

I Ruined the Economy and All I Got Were These Lousy Tax Cuts
There is a gap between tax revenue and spending. So there are three choices ... 1) increase taxes, 2) decrease spending or 3) do a bit of both.

Right now, I don't see a lot of appetite in the country for serious cuts in spending. Cuts to social security and/or Medicare seem to be a big no-no. The Republican loss of a safe seat in New York is an indicator of that. However, there is clearly no willingness on the part of Congressional Republicans to increase taxes. So we have fiscal gridlock and I don't see that ending any time soon.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Boo hoo! Another I Hate the Rich thread.
What an intelligent response.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
There is a gap between tax revenue and spending. So there are three choices ... 1) increase taxes, 2) decrease spending or 3) do a bit of both.

Right now, I don't see a lot of appetite in the country for serious cuts in spending. Cuts to social security and/or Medicare seem to be a big no-no. The Republican loss of a safe seat in New York is an indicator of that. However, there is clearly no willingness on the part of Congressional Republicans to increase taxes. So we have fiscal gridlock and I don't see that ending any time soon.
It is true. There is going to have to be a combination of both. We are on the precipice. At no time in modern history have we been in such a difficult situation. At least with the great depression, there was not the double edge sword of the defict and high unemployment. It is going to have to be a gradual change. Small tax increases on the very wealthy and small cuts in spending.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:46 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Here's a whopper.

Most economists warn, as Bernanke did, against an immediate drawdown in federal spending. With business investment, trade and consumer spending all still lagging, government remains the only actor with the power to maintain economic demand. “Curtailing the one major consumer that is continuing to consume—it’s just a terrible idea, especially when you have a major demand gap,” says Michael Linden of the Center for American Progress.

Here is what he really said.

Fed chief: Cuts won't derail recovery - The Hill's On The Money

"Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke says a plan from House Republicans to cut $61 billion in spending this year would not harm economic growth."

"Although Bernanke didn't provide a projection of possible jobs losses from the spending bill, he said the proposed spending cuts aren't likely to lead to the 700,000 job losses predicted by*Moody's Analytics chief economist Mark Zandi."

And from his comments.
"At the same time, establishing a credible plan for reducing future deficits now would not only enhance economic performance in the long run, but could also yield near-term benefits by leading to lower long-term interest rates and increased consumer and business confidence."
http://federalreserve.gov/newsevents...e20110607a.htm

Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
one more time, we dont have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem. the federal government has gotten a hold of the american express platinum card and has charged it up to the max, and is wanting more credit to spend even more money.

it has been calculated that we can take ALL income from all individuals over $50,000, and take EVERY dime of profit for EVERY business in the country, and we can run the federal government for a grand total of 7 months. too much spending and too much debt has caused the financial issues we see today. we need severe spending cuts, and we need to make the business environment much more friendly in this country so that we can grow the economy to get out of our financial issues. until that happens, this country is going to head down the road of financial ruin.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Here's a whopper.

Most economists warn, as Bernanke did, against an immediate drawdown in federal spending. With business investment, trade and consumer spending all still lagging, government remains the only actor with the power to maintain economic demand. “Curtailing the one major consumer that is continuing to consume—it’s just a terrible idea, especially when you have a major demand gap,” says Michael Linden of the Center for American Progress.

Here is what he really said.

Fed chief: Cuts won't derail recovery - The Hill's On The Money

"Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke says a plan from House Republicans to cut $61 billion in spending this year would not harm economic growth."

"Although Bernanke didn't provide a projection of possible jobs losses from the spending bill, he said the proposed spending cuts aren't likely to lead to the 700,000 job losses predicted by*Moody's Analytics chief economist Mark Zandi."
Did you read the OP...dramatic cuts. From your own source.

Bernanke "Two percent [reduction in growth] is enormous and would be based on $300 billion in cuts," Bernanke told the panel in his semiannual report to Congress. "Sixty billion to $100 billion isn't sufficient to create that kind of effect

300 billion is dramatic. However Moodys and Sachs seem to believe 61 million would be enough to have detrimental effect. Why do you always post articles that support my post and undermine yours. You should read before you cite something, but thanks for the help although completely unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies