Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 07:33 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually there are very few vaccines that could even be considered important ones. The polio vaccine for one -- and that one became necessary because of hygiene, it was the delay in encountering the virus that led to the problems which is why babies used to get the live virus vaccine -- get them the normal childhood illness at the proper time rather than risk them getting it when they were too old to get it.

The tetanus vaccine is another good one. Measles and mumps are just mild illness as long as a child gets them early enough -- delay their meeting up with the virus until their teen years and there can be problems.

But also there are studies showing that illness actually helps the body because defective cells like cancer cells don't survive a cold virus while the healthy cells do.

But oh well -- the pharmaceutical companies are making a huge fortune by having the government mandate all their products.
Illness may help those who don't die but there are many folks with compromised immune systems who are alive today only because these diseases aren't around to kill them. I suppose you have to choose your poison and the lesser of two evils ehh?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Illness may help those who don't die but there are many folks with compromised immune systems who are alive today only because these diseases aren't around to kill them. I suppose you have to choose your poison and the lesser of two evils ehh?
Those people should get the vaccines -- but I haven't missed a day of work ever in my life, never missed a day of college or high school so not getting every vaccine they come out with isn't killing me.

It makes no difference - if my immune system encountered the real measles or the real chickenpox, I'm every bit as or more immune then someone who got the vaccine. If I get the flu and they got their flu shot, they don't need to worry.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Actually there are very few vaccines that could even be considered important ones. The polio vaccine for one -- and that one became necessary because of hygiene, it was the delay in encountering the virus that led to the problems which is why babies used to get the live virus vaccine -- get them the normal childhood illness at the proper time rather than risk them getting it when they were too old to get it.

The tetanus vaccine is another good one. Measles and mumps are just mild illness as long as a child gets them early enough -- delay their meeting up with the virus until their teen years and there can be problems.

But also there are studies showing that illness actually helps the body because defective cells like cancer cells don't survive a cold virus while the healthy cells do.

But oh well -- the pharmaceutical companies are making a huge fortune by having the government mandate all their products.
So much misinformation!

1. The US went from OPV (oral, live vaccine) to IPV (inactivated vaccine) b/c the risk of someone contracting polio from a recently vaccinated person was higher than the risk of polio in general. In countries where polio is still epidemic and/or endemic, OPV is used b/c it is a better vaccine and the risks of the disease are higher.

2. Measles is a very dangerous disease.
Measles - MayoClinic.com
Also called rubeola, measles can be serious and even fatal for small children. While death rates have been falling worldwide as more children receive the measles vaccine, the disease still kills several hundred thousand people a year, most under the age of 5.

Mumps isn't *as* bad, but it too can cause serious side effects.
CDC - Mumps: Complications
Mumps and Measles
Deafness. Mumps was a leading cause of acquired deafness before the advent of mumps vaccines but nevertheless hearing loss is rare (one in every 20,000 mumps cases). It is usually unilateral. The patient may not, in fact, have overt mumps. Deafness may improve with time but is usually permanent.

As far as vaccines being a big moneymaker, consider this:
Vaccinations Can Be Money-Losers For Doctors : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

I would like to see a link about this cancer issue.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I would like to see a link about this cancer issue.
Common Cold Virus May Kill Breast Cancer Cells

"If this research is successful we could have something that produces side effects as harmless as a mild, common cold-like infection yet it could successfully treat breast cancer," Ms Skelding said.

Common Virus Kills Cancer Stem Cells

Dalhousie Medical School cancer researcher Dr. Patrick Lee has proven that a common virus can infect and kill breast cancer stem cells. ....

In addition to its ability to kill cancer cells and cancer stem cells, reovirus stimulates the anti-cancer immune system. Since virus therapy also invokes an anti-virus response, Dr. Lee and post-doctoral fellow Dr. Shashi Gujar are working on a way to harness the immune system so it attacks cancer cells while allowing the virus to freely infect and destroy cancerous cells.

Indian-origin scientist discovers cold virus that kills cancer - Economic Times

"With reovirus, we're able to accentuate the positive and attenuate the negative. What's left is a virus in search of a host, and reovirus loves the environment inside a specific kind of cancer cell," said Deepa Subramaniam, the study's lead investigator at Lombardi.

That specific kind of cancer cell is one with malfunctioning machinery called KRAS or EGFR mutation.

"These mutations leave the cancer vulnerable to a viral take-over. Once it's in, the reovirus exploits the cell's machinery to drive its own replication. As a result, the cell is filled with virus particles causing it to literally explode," she added.

Johns Hopkins - Brady Urological Institute- Prostate Cancer Update

What DeWeese calls the �Achilles heel� of any adenovirus-based treatment is the idea that the body�s immune system will cut off the virus at the knees, and stop it from taking hold and killing the cancer. He and Rodriguez have a different take on this idea, which they hope to prove one day soon: �We believe that this is part of the reason why it works�that we induce an immune response to the virus. The virus is replicating and killing cells, but also your own body is trying to get rid of that virus�and that, in and of itself, will also be anti-cancer.�

Cancer-Killing Virus Modified to Deliver a One-Two Punch

Scientists claim to have made recent progress targeting cancer cells with modded cold, herpes and smallpox viruses. These viruses infect and kill cancer cells while leaving healthy cells alone.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:11 PM

Common cold virus may be new weapon to fight cancer | Science | The Guardian

One of the country's leading geneticists, Prof Seymour has been working with viruses that kill cancer cells directly, while avoiding harm to healthy tissue. "In principle, you've got something which could be many times more effective than regular chemotherapy," he said.

Cancer-killing viruses exploit the fact that cancer cells suppress the body's local immune system. "If a cancer doesn't do that, the immune system wipes it out. If you can get a virus into a tumour, viruses find them a very good place to be because there's no immune system to stop them replicating. You can regard it as the cancer's Achilles' heel."

Only a small amount of the virus needs to get to the cancer. "They replicate, you get a million copies in each cell and the cell bursts and they infect the tumour cells adjacent and repeat the process," said Prof Seymour.

Lilith News: Virus Kills Cancer Cells

Canadian researchers have discovered a virus which causes a mild runny nose, but also kills cancer cells. Treatments using the virus are expected to start in 2012.

Could The Common Cold Really Cure Cancer?

Dozens of dying men and women are now being deliberately infected with viruses as doctors determine if these microscopic bugs can kill the cancers without killing the patients. People desperate to beat their disease have volunteered to catch the flu, a cold, even a modified version of herpes.

Results from animal studies have been astounding. Injected with viruses, human tumours in mice have shrunk and vanished completely without harming the animal. And viruses have worked against not just one cancer, but nearly every malignancy medicine knows, whether breast, lung, liver, colon, ovarian or even brain.

Non-Disease Virus Kills Breast Cancer Cells In Lab

He and his team believe that AAV2 is switching back on the apoptosis pathways that were switched off in the cancer cells.

For their study they used lab tissue cultures of cancer cells and found AAV2 killed 100% of them within seven days, with most of the cell death proteins activated on day five.

In another experiment, working with cancer cells from an aggressive form of breast cancer, they found the virus took three weeks to kill the cells.

Alam said they can see the virus is killing the cells, but exactly how it is doing it remains somewhat of a mystery.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,150,313 times
When did a Whooping Cough vaccine become mandatory? I google that question and came up with this...

Whooping Cough Epidemic Caused by Virulent New Pertussis Strain—And It’s the Result of Vaccine

The CDC and NIH keep pushing the pertussis vaccine, in spite of info that it’s causing the new whooping cough epidemic that is 10 times more deadly than the old whooping cough.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) would prefer that you remain unaware of a couple of highly significant facts about the whooping cough resurgence. It is most likely caused by the pertussis vaccine and it’s ten times more deadly than the original variety.

To top it all off, they are blaming the unvaccinated for the new more lethal strain of whooping cough, and they are pushing people even harder to be vaccinated with the same vaccine that’s almost certainly responsible for it!

Deadlier Whooping Cough Epidemic Likely Caused by Vaccine | Health Freedom Alliance

In this day and age, when the pharmaceutical companies have become almost criminal is their pushing of drugs that are not yet proven safe via Madison Avenue advertising campaigns, people are skeptical.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:29 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
Quote:
Those people should get the vaccines -- but I haven't missed a day of work ever in my life, never missed a day of college or high school so not getting every vaccine they come out with isn't killing me.

It makes no difference - if my immune system encountered the real measles or the real chickenpox, I'm every bit as or more immune then someone who got the vaccine. If I get the flu and they got their flu shot, they don't need to worry.
I don't give a hoot about your sick days...you realize that means nothing to anyone right?

I'm talking about everyone. And people with compromised immune sytems can't always take a vaccine and even if they do it's not always 100% effective hence the need for herd immunity.

We could NOT vaccinate and just let nature take it's course but you wouldn't like it as much as you think you would. You are lucky to be in a position to gripe.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,532,526 times
Alright!! Malamute and Sickofnyc....excellent posts.

The Medical Establishment is becoming outnumbered by folks like us that no longer are uninformed sheeple. We are in control of our own health and bods.

WE are the true Pro choicers and many of them that would gladly allow us an abortion are livid that we aren't hypocrites as they are. Shots? no shots? Our choice, not theirs to make for us.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
When did a Whooping Cough vaccine become mandatory? I google that question and came up with this...

Whooping Cough Epidemic Caused by Virulent New Pertussis Strain—And It’s the Result of Vaccine

The CDC and NIH keep pushing the pertussis vaccine, in spite of info that it’s causing the new whooping cough epidemic that is 10 times more deadly than the old whooping cough.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) would prefer that you remain unaware of a couple of highly significant facts about the whooping cough resurgence. It is most likely caused by the pertussis vaccine and it’s ten times more deadly than the original variety.

To top it all off, they are blaming the unvaccinated for the new more lethal strain of whooping cough, and they are pushing people even harder to be vaccinated with the same vaccine that’s almost certainly responsible for it!

Deadlier Whooping Cough Epidemic Likely Caused by Vaccine | Health Freedom Alliance

In this day and age, when the pharmaceutical companies have become almost criminal is their pushing of drugs that are not yet proven safe via Madison Avenue advertising campaigns, people are skeptical.
A good way to gauge whether a site is quackery or not is if they are selling all sorts of crap on the site. This one's a really winner! Quack, quack!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,532,526 times
Excellent report on the failures of the whooping cough vaccine. (watch the pro-vaccers work to discredit the doc cuz they can't discredit the facts)

This physician HAD a son harmed by the shot for it.

The whooping cough vaccine doesn't work so what are they injecting??? - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies