Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:31 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times

Advertisements

The "war on terrorism" is a "war on our freedoms". Plato
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I suggest you look up a fellow named Neville Chamberlain.

Cheers!
Are you referring to this? Guilty Men - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If so, I understand your concern. Many people think that war is necessary.

I disagree; we need to consider war "not an option" in order to find new solutions. The problem is, fighting is the "easiest" solution. All it takes is weapons and men who obey like robots. But the fact that it doesn't take much effort (in terms of solution-finding) doesn't mean that it is right or "necessary." It only means that other solutions are not being tried, or the right solution has not yet been found.

Peace,
brian

Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Are you referring to this? Guilty Men - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If so, I understand your concern. Many people think that war is necessary.

I disagree; we need to consider war "not an option" in order to find new solutions. The problem is, fighting is the "easiest" solution. All it takes is weapons and men who obey like robots. But the fact that it doesn't take much effort (in terms of solution-finding) doesn't mean that it is right or "necessary." It only means that other solutions are not being tried, or the right solution has not yet been found.

Peace,
brian
I am referring to the outcome of trying to negotiate with crazy people. It is a cautionary tale.

Cheers!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:12 AM

In war, both sides think they are right.

So who's right??

Perhaps rather than using military might, the decision ought to be left to a third, neutral party, with the best interests of all in mind.

Peace,
brian

Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Our government's self declared wars are always against we taxpayers.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I am referring to the outcome of trying to negotiate with crazy people. It is a cautionary tale.

Cheers!
Crazy is relative, depending on who you ask. To many people, going to war for oil is crazy.

That's why a third, neutral party should intervene, to establish rules which are fair for everyone, with benefits for everyone.

Peace,
brian

Old 07-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
In war, both sides think they are right.

So who's right??

Perhaps rather than using military might, the decision ought to be left to a third, neutral party, with the best interests of all in mind.

Peace,
brian

LOL, in war sometimes one side is right. WWII comes to mind.

I am sure Islamic extremists (people who commit suicide to get chicks) will sit nicely while some disinterested (whoever that might be, I can't think of any) party deterimes who is right. You do understand this isn't the campus debate society right?

I think you really need to join the real world.

Cheers!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Crazy is relative, depending on who you ask. To many people, going to war for oil is crazy.

That's why a third, neutral party should intervene, to establish rules which are fair for everyone, with benefits for everyone.

Peace,
brian

OK, if you think there are people who think Hitler wasn't crazy, you are entitled to think that. You would be wrong, but you are free to think that. Just as you are free to think people who commit suicide to get 72 virgins are sane.

Cheers!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
A virtual war can never be won. You cannot measure faceless, country-less war games.
But that's what they want, don't they. A war that can never be verified as won yet can continue to be funded indefinitely as long as they tell us the bad guys "are still out there".

Old 07-08-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
LOL, in war sometimes one side is right. WWII comes to mind.

I am sure Islamic extremists (people who commit suicide to get chicks) will sit nicely while some disinterested (whoever that might be, I can't think of any) party deterimes who is right. You do understand this isn't the campus debate society right?

I think you really need to join the real world.

Cheers!
Quote:
OK, if you think there are people who think Hitler wasn't crazy, you are entitled to think that. You would be wrong, but you are free to think that. Just as you are free to think people who commit suicide to get 72 virgins are sane.

Cheers!
It might come as a surprise, but actually many people supported Hitler's war, at least initially. Germany itself seemed to go along with his plans.

I think you completely missed my point, however.

My point is, that in a war situation, both sides believe they are right. That means that a third, neutral party must intervene and make an agreement that is acceptable to both sides. It doesn't mean that both sides are right. It means that an agreement must be reached. But both sides might be right; both sides might be wrong; or one side may be more right than the other. The guiding principles, however, must be for the peace and welfare of all involved, not just one side.

I hope you can understand my posts better now.

Peace,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies