Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:38 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
2.2 mill in last 16 months is a help, but we need 8 mill and the Repubs to act on existing bills that will help and create new ones that will help. So far in 6 mos what, other than abortion bills, has come out? Oh, kill Medicare, forgot that one.
Here's what happened in the six months:

1. We did not spend any more money to buy road-worthy cars in order to crush them.

2. We did not take money from most of us to bribe a few of us to buy a house.

3. We did not transfer new large piles of money to state and local governments so they could maintain bloated payrolls, salaries, and benefits of government employees.

Here's what happened that the Congress has no control over:

A. We maintained a de facto moratorium on developing domestic energy reserves, causing tens of thousands to be unemployed.

B. We stymied the building of the petroleum pipeline from Canada to refineries in the US, which would have employed about 100,000 directly and indirectly.

C. Via the EPA, we decided to condemn about 20% of our electricity generating capacity, 10% of our cement plants, and countless other industrial facilities--at an immeasurable cost in jobs and lost capital.

D. Via the NLRB, we decided that a new plant employing 2,000 workers was built in the wrong state, and needed to be closed.

Are you getting the drift? The important thing for jobs is NOT what the government does, it is what the government stymies. The role of the government at this point in history should be to get the hell out of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The big job losses are now in the public sector, as federal, state and local governments cut employees.

Frankly, I'd think Republicans would be pleased about that. Not because they're glad to see people out of work but because they favor shrinking the size of government.
Slightly pleasing maybe but the cuts so far won't make a dent in the unfunded obligations to the unions. I'll be a lot more pleased when we get them switched to SS and 401K like the poor private sector slobs...

Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You're right, since WTC came down, it was okay for the country to not recover from it for a long time. But when the financial structure of the entire nation comes down, the ship ought to be turned around on a dime.

So, after a "landslide" win, why haven't the republicans?
Unfortunately having only one house doesn't give the Republicans too much power, that will be remedied in 2012.

Oh yeah, even with the WTC the economy was in much better shape than today. Thanks to the 2003 tax cuts.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:49 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
The more I look at it, the more I see that this nation is headed for a "revolution", and I think it will be on a massive scale - no, not bloody violence, but I mean major turnover in the government and a new sense of holding these people way more accountable for messing around with our lives and the economy.

Americans are fed up with this nonsense and bickering over a lofty "debt ceiling" and tax cuts for millionaires and having entitlement spending "off the table." EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is on the table.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Slightly pleasing maybe but the cuts so far won't make a dent in the unfunded obligations to the unions. I'll be a lot more pleased when we get them switched to SS and 401K like the poor private sector slobs...
Just so you know, I'm a government worker with a 401K and SS. We don't all have pensions. So try not to use that broad brush.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Austerity is what we need. And a citizen revolt in the streets.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Some of the citizens are quite revolting already.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Just so you know, I'm a government worker with a 401K and SS. We don't all have pensions. So try not to use that broad brush.
I stand corrected. I was aware that federal employees were in SS, and some teachers, but I wasn't aware of any govt employees in SS without an additional pension. May I ask what govt entity that is? I would like to reference it as a model...

Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What have they done about helping the economy?
Absolutely nothing, which is why they were elected. I think we've had enough help from the federal government in the economy. They "helped" us into this crisis, time to step aside.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think austerity is already here but I do not think our leaders/media want to use that word. Just for the reason you gave a revolt in the streets like a few of the EU countries. But I think what is taking place there will appear here sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies