Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 AM

773 posts, read 503,738 times

Advertisements

The government is spending TWICE what it did only 11 years ago. Why is it so hard for liberals to realize we are spending WAY too much? They love Clinton so much, why won't they agree to go back to the Clinton spending levels? If we went back to the spending level of 11 years ago, the budget is balanced without even fixing the tax code. Fixing the tax code (flat tax or consumption tax) on top of fixing the spending would allow us to pay off the liberal debt extremely fast. (Yes, Bush was a liberal too when it came to spending)

FWIW - I am prepared to cut in every category. Bar none.

Also, why are liberals so opposed to a balanced budget amendment? Doesn't it make sense to spend less than you take in? How do liberals run their household budget? I know I use a strange formula. Take in x dollars and spend less than x dollars. It seems to work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 06:56 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,115 times
Clinton didn't balance the budget. He signed balanced budgets the GOP controlled Congress sent to him, thus enabling him to claim:
1. he balanced the budget
2. he created a surplus

Clinton was too busy dogging interns to do anything but sign what was put in front of him!

BTW, it's been 800+ days since the democrat controlled Senate has produced a budget. The DEMS are not serious at all about fiscal responsibility. They never have been. They are serious about increasing spending and in bankrupting the country.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
The government is spending TWICE what it did only 11 years ago. Why is it so hard for liberals to realize we are spending WAY too much? They love Clinton so much, why won't they agree to go back to the Clinton spending levels? If we went back to the spending level of 11 years ago, the budget is balanced without even fixing the tax code. Fixing the tax code (flat tax or consumption tax) on top of fixing the spending would allow us to pay off the liberal debt extremely fast. (Yes, Bush was a liberal too when it came to spending)

FWIW - I am prepared to cut in every category. Bar none.

Also, why are liberals so opposed to a balanced budget amendment? Doesn't it make sense to spend less than you take in? How do liberals run their household budget? I know I use a strange formula. Take in x dollars and spend less than x dollars. It seems to work for me.
A balanced budget amendment, if it were even possible to pass and get ratified by enough States, would take about 10 yrs. We need to strat with a balanced approach to handling our deficits much earlier than that. So to waste time on an amendment now is idiotic.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Clinton didn't balance the budget. He signed balanced budgets the GOP controlled Congress sent to him, thus enabling him to claim:
1. he balanced the budget
2. he created a surplus

Clinton was too busy dogging interns to do anything but sign what was put in front of him!

BTW, it's been 800+ days since the democrat controlled Senate has produced a budget. The DEMS are not serious at all about fiscal responsibility. They never have been. They are serious about increasing spending and in bankrupting the country.

Yes, I know but the liberals are foolish enough to think Clinton was responsible for it.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
A balanced budget amendment, if it were even possible to pass and get ratified by enough States, would take about 10 yrs. We need to strat with a balanced approach to handling our deficits much earlier than that. So to waste time on an amendment now is idiotic.
That's the type of thinking that has us in this mess. We can do more than one thing at a time and a BBA is key to our future. Saying it won't work for several years is as dumb as when people say we can't drill because it takes 5 years. Well, we said it 5, 10 and 15 years ago. We'd be there now if people didn't think the way you are thinking.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:14 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
The budget can almost entirely be balanced by modest increases in the wealthy's tax rates and modest cuts in defense. Our bloated defense budget is obscene.

No need to cut SS or Medicare benefits. Both programs are modest compared to what other Western Nations provide for their senior citizens.

Budget Puzzle: You Fix the Budget - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Old 07-09-2011, 07:19 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:

Simple. If they can't throw goodies (taxpayer money) to their campaign donors and political base, they won't get re-elected. Self serving shills. They will take this country down.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:24 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
That's the type of thinking that has us in this mess. We can do more than one thing at a time and a BBA is key to our future. Saying it won't work for several years is as dumb as when people say we can't drill because it takes 5 years. Well, we said it 5, 10 and 15 years ago. We'd be there now if people didn't think the way you are thinking.

I know, Rand Paul has implied it is a simple quick thing. As usual, he is lying for diffusion purposes, it isn't, it will take a lot of time and negotiating to come to some form of Amendment that would work. Then have to pass super majorities in both Houses and 3/4 of the States. We need action on the deficits, yesterday. That could be done relatively quickly and painlessly, if the politicians would allow it.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I know, Rand Paul has implied it is a simple quick thing. As usual, he is lying for diffusion purposes, it isn't, it will take a lot of time and negotiating to come to some form of Amendment that would work. Then have to pass super majorities in both Houses and 3/4 of the States. We need action on the deficits, yesterday. That could be done relatively quickly and painlessly, if the politicians would allow it.
Can you chew gum and walk at the same time? Just wondering.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:29 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:

Also, why are liberals so opposed to a balanced budget amendment?
Liberals aren't the least bit interested in a balanced budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The budget can almost entirely be balanced by modest increases in the wealthy's tax rates and modest cuts in defense.
This is what they want. Remember the term, shared sacrifice, you will hear it over and over. It is Obama's and the libs mantra. They don't care about reigning in spending or putting controls on social entitlement programs or letting the private sector grow us out of the recession. They just want to bang the rich as hard as they can. It's all about class envy, not a healthy or mature way to grow our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies