Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Death With Dignity - For or Against
For 7 100.00%
Against 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:13 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
OMG, you have REALLY gone over the top with this post. I am stunned. First, I am not into "social engineering." I do have a question for you before I comment further, but have you ever dealt with clinical depression yourself?
Yeppers, which is a large part of the reason I resent the implied idea that I am in need of fixing myself. I don't really want to fix myself. Or at the very least, if I were to hypothetically make a gigantic list of all the things I could change about myself (if I wanted to...), that particular trait would actually be really low on my list. I'm certainly not going to stuff drugs down my throat every single day of my life, just to make that happen. Show me a pill that will give me a 180 IQ... I might relent... but beyond the aforementioned, I don't want to be fixed up.

I very much like the cynicism and bitterness it has engendered in me. I feel it's a really positive coping mechanism for dealing with a world which I think is complete crap (which incidentally, I think that for political reasons, not for being depressed). The last thing I want is to be a happy (or anywhere close to it), because happiness is not an appropriate response to a dungheap world. I think my attitude is dead-on appropriate response to the problems I see in the world.

I think anybody who can look around at all the worlds problems and not be depressed, and who claims to be "happy" on a regular basis, is an individual who is quite possibly F-ed in the head and quite possibly has no moral conscience. Transitorily happy in a few fleeting moments here and there, perhaps. But not happy and content as a matter of routine course.

I edited in a minor addendum to my prior message. Not that it was important, but just thought I'd throw it out there again, anyway:

"... Some people also like who they are, and resent the idea of other people telling them they need to "get better," as in the minds of many depressed people, you are asking them to [partly] change who they are. These personality traits we acquire through the course of out life become incorporated into who they are, and some people just do NOT want to change that... and don't want to stuff drugs down their throat just so they can acquire a somewhat different personality."

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 07-13-2011 at 12:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:14 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I don't see what makes humans superior to other forms of life. We can relieve suffering, but we are also the cause of much of it.
First, I am so sorry for your loss. I have a couple of poems (hope they're on my external hard drive) and I'll DM them to you. They really are beautiful. Maybe they can help you.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
I am all for death with dignity, but I don't think it should be reserved just for people with less than 6 months to live.

If I were to end up like Christopher Reeve, for instance, I would want the option of euthanasia.

If I were diagnosed with Altzheimers, I would like to be able to sign an advanced directive stating that I be put to sleep after I was no longer able to care for myself.

Quality of life is more important to me than quantity of life.

And Claudhopper, I am so sorry for your loss. I have had to put to sleep many of my pets, have always held them while they died. Putting a pet to sleep is the hardest and most heartbreaking thing I have ever had to do in my life. You never get over it.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of every, single one of them.

I don't really believe in life after death, but I would die with a smile on my face if I knew I was going to be reunited with them once again.

Last edited by Annie53; 07-13-2011 at 12:36 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Yeppers, which is a large part of the reason I resent the implied idea that I am in need of fixing myself. I don't really want to fix myself. Or at the very least, if I were to hypothetically make a gigantic list of all the things I could change about myself (if I wanted to...), that particular trait would actually be really low on my list. I'm certainly not going to stuff drugs down my throat every single day of my life, just to make that happen. Show me a pill that will give me a 180 IQ... I might relent... but beyond the aforementioned, I don't want to be fixed up.

I very much like the cynicism and bitterness it has engendered in me. I feel it's a really positive coping mechanism for dealing with a world which I think is complete crap (which incidentally, I think that for political reasons, not for being depressed). The last thing I want is to be a happy (or anywhere close to it), because happiness is not an appropriate response to a dungheap world. I think my attitude is dead-on appropriate response to the problems I see in the world.

I edited in a minor addendum to my prior message. Not that it was important, but just thought I'd throw it out there again, anyway:

"... Some people also like who they are, and resent the idea of other people telling them they need to "get better," as in the minds of many depressed people, you are asking them to [partly] change who they are. These personality traits we acquire through the course of out life become incorporated into who they are, and some people just do NOT want to change that... and don't want to stuff drugs down their throat just so they can acquire a somewhat different personality."
Ah, we're on the same page to an extent - my favorite quote from Krishnamurti:

Quote:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:22 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I take offense at this. I spent close to $13K trying to save my dog. Even the Vet told me to quit after two surgeries as I'd spent so much but I said if there was any chance to save him I wanted to move forward. It was a close call, but he lived for another two months and I'll always cherish them. I brought him to the most expensive place in this state after consulting with two Vets about his condition and his blood platelets were halving in two days. There was no whole blood to do a transfusion.

I had a Vet come out to my home and put him to sleep as I did not want that done in a sterile environment. I had him groomed for cremation and even have pics of him laying in his blue basket deceased so don't you even DARE imply I didn't do everything in my power to save him. As to the rest of your comments, you are not even worthy of a response.
Okay....

Old 07-13-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

If I were diagnosed with Altzheimers, I would like to be able to sign an advanced directive stating that I be put to sleep after I was no longer able to care for myself.

Quality of life is more important to me than quantity of life.
It is interesting you bring up Alzheimer's.

We currently have living with us my MIL,she had what is termed mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease.
She is forgetful.
She is sometimes difficult to get motivated.
She needs to be told more than a few times how things are done or where things go.
She cannot be trusted to eat enough or to take her medication.
We were told someone had to be here with her at all times.

And yet she is living,she is having a life.

I do believe the group that supports the idea of having another kill you(instead of just doing it yourself...it isn't hard you know) are probably from their mid to late 40's and up...

The incredibly selfish generation should be their name.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It is interesting you bring up Alzheimer's.

We currently have living with us my MIL,she had what is termed mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease.
She is forgetful.
She is sometimes difficult to get motivated.
She needs to be told more than a few times how things are done or where things go.
She cannot be trusted to eat enough or to take her medication.
We were told someone had to be here with her at all times.

And yet she is living,she is having a life.

I do believe the group that supports the idea of having another kill you(instead of just doing it yourself...it isn't hard you know) are probably from their mid to late 40's and up...

The incredibly selfish generation should be their name.
I think most of us would agree that it would be selfish for you to kill your MIL because she has become an inconvenience. Without 2 physicians signing off on it, you would go to prison.
What is incredibly selfish is to deny others the option of a peaceful death.

Compassion & Choices of Oregon
Quote:
The new policy, “To Live Each Day with Dignity,” is the U.S. church’s first official policy on aid-in-dying, which also is legal in Montana under a 2009 Montana Supreme Court ruling. The policy follows increasingly aggressive efforts by the bishops to require Catholic health care facilities and providers to insert and maintain feeding and hydration tubes in terminally ill patients — even those who have written advance directives stating they don’t want them.
The bishops also have cracked down on Catholic hospitals that performed tube-tying operations for women who are not going to have more babies. Last year, a bishop expelled St. Charles Medical Center in Bend, Ore., a century-old hospital founded by nuns, from his diocese for refusing to stop performing tubal ligations.
These policies matter because the bishops oversee more than 600 Catholic hospitals and hundreds of Catholic nursing homes, assisted living centers, and hospices.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:56 AM

No-one is denied the choice of killing themselves....

What people want is to not be the one doing the killing,they don't want their hands dirtied.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'm on the side of people taking it in their own hands.

If the pain is so great, take matters into your own hands, or have a family member do it.

What's considered "dignified" anyway? A bullet in the head or a pillow over the face?

It becomes a slippery slope when government gets involved.
How bout camping in the coldest part of winter and a bottle of whiskey. Got to sleep, Go to sleep, little baby

Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No-one is denied the choice of killing themselves....

What people want is to not be the one doing the killing,they don't want their hands dirtied.
so they should be able to pull out the feeding and hydration tubes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies