Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

I am a "Baby Boomer" and I was very glad to make 20 years old. A year in Viet-Nam can do that for you. I am very glad not to have to do that again. Now that I have turned 65 I am about to retire. I got out of college into the 1973-3 "downturn". It took a year for me to get a professional job. Thankfully I was also a machinist so I worked for temp employment firms during the job hunt.
What did I believe in? I believed we should make certain everyone had an income before anyone got rich. Still believe in that. I also believed if any of us had to fight in a war all of us should be drafted. Still do believe that.
I am glad I am not trying to start out in this economy and this social nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:24 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times
I believe my generation thinks we're better than the previous generation but essentially (in most cases) we're not. I see a lack of understanding of our own history in people my age (and younger). In general, there's also no real outrage over the multiple wars we have going on... even when our own people are being killed. It's like our generation doesn't care about anything unless it's right in front of our face. Does apathy apply to us? Perhaps.

I could be speaking of MULTIPLE generations btw, not just people in their 20's and 30's (which I'm in my early 30's). In general, we're not any better but I don't think we're necessarily worse as some would imply. Fortunately we have it pretty good since the previous generations have fought for us (in terms of equality, civil rights, etc., etc.). Perhaps we should be more grateful and acknowledge what we haven't done and do more to make the world better for those who come afterwards.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I believe my generation thinks we're better than the previous generation but essentially (in most cases) we're not. I see a lack of understanding of our own history in people my age (and younger). In general, there's also no real outrage over the multiple wars we have going on... even when our own people are being killed. It's like our generation doesn't care about anything unless it's right in front of our face. Does apathy apply to us? Perhaps.

I could be speaking of MULTIPLE generations btw, not just people in their 20's and 30's (which I'm in my early 30's). We're not any better but I don't think we're worse.
I don't think so either. Neither better nor worse. "Human Nature" hasn't changed in a few millenia.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's still better than what a lot of us Boomers had at the same age. For the most part, preventive care was exempted from the deductible back then. In other words, it didn't even count towards the deductible.
how could you possibly know it is better? I didn't give you enough information about my health insurance to reach a conclusion like that. The biggest omission, of course, is my healthcare premiums.

Let's compare apples to apples here. At my place of employment, decades ago, healthcare used to be free. Every year that went by, costs went up, and more and more of the burden was shifted to the worker.

it really does blow my mind that you are trying to argue that healthcare is cheaper now, than it was "back then."

Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
I do think that our generation is worse off. We're loaded with student debts, an incompetent president, a failing economy, high debt levels, etc.

I don't know about everyone else, but I believe in self responsibility and not being dependent on the government.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I do think that our generation is worse off. We're loaded with student debts, an incompetent president, a failing economy, high debt levels, etc.

I don't know about everyone else, but I believe in self responsibility and not being dependent on the government.
Maybe a new sense of living within your means should apply like if you dont have enough money to go to school with out incurring debts then maybe you just cant afford to go to college.
Incompetent President? you should have figured it out by now,they're all incompetent given the job they're expected to do.
Failing economy? if it takes $10 to make a widget in the USA and it costs $1 to make that same widget in China then its going to cost the Chinese a $9 surcharge if they want to sell that widget in the USA,would end the rush to move production to China.
High Debt levels? maybe its time to accept the fact that we can no longer afford the luxury of having all sorts of military groups entrenched around the world,We cant afford the wars we are in or the hundreds of bases around the world or all the battle fleets floating around.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,202 times
Right now nothing.It is not the same in years past,such as the 1960's when there were political marches everywhere.There are no such marches over the debt ceiling issue.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe a new sense of living within your means should apply like if you dont have enough money to go to school with out incurring debts then maybe you just cant afford to go to college.
Incompetent President? you should have figured it out by now,they're all incompetent given the job they're expected to do.
Failing economy? if it takes $10 to make a widget in the USA and it costs $1 to make that same widget in China then its going to cost the Chinese a $9 surcharge if they want to sell that widget in the USA,would end the rush to move production to China.
High Debt levels? maybe its time to accept the fact that we can no longer afford the luxury of having all sorts of military groups entrenched around the world,We cant afford the wars we are in or the hundreds of bases around the world or all the battle fleets floating around.
I know. Why are you telling me this?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
how could you possibly know it is better? I didn't give you enough information about my health insurance to reach a conclusion like that. The biggest omission, of course, is my healthcare premiums.

Let's compare apples to apples here. At my place of employment, decades ago, healthcare used to be free. Every year that went by, costs went up, and more and more of the burden was shifted to the worker.

it really does blow my mind that you are trying to argue that healthcare is cheaper now, than it was "back then."
I know it's better b/c I know what kind of health insurance I had "back then". We had no well care for our children. You paid cash, and it wasn't exactly cheap. You paid for each and every immunization, or you went to the health dept and got subsidized imms. I recall when an immunization against meningitis came out, my pediatrician said, "Now your insurance won't pay for this. But if she gets meningitis, they'll pay for the hospitalization". If you needed an X-ray, a lab test, whatever, you paid for that in addition to your doctor's visit. We had no prescription drug coverage, no vision, no dental. A lot of expenses did not apply to the deductible at all.

The "free" healthcare your comapny paid for probably was similar to the above, in that you (actuall, the employees of the day) were paying for a lot more out of pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

Whine, whine, whine.

I did not have any student debt, but that was b/c my parents made it a priority to pay for my college education. Many in my class did have loans. When I graduated from college in 1970, a lot of guys in my class got drafted. Some of them got sent to Viet Nam. Some of them got killed there. My high school class did a memorial for all the class members who were killed in 'Nam.

Incompetent president? We had a crook, Nixon.

Failing economy? Check

High debt levels? I don't know.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I know it's better b/c I know what kind of health insurance I had "back then". We had no well care for our children. You paid cash, and it wasn't exactly cheap. You paid for each and every immunization, or you went to the health dept and got subsidized imms. I recall when an immunization against meningitis came out, my pediatrician said, "Now your insurance won't pay for this. But if she gets meningitis, they'll pay for the hospitalization". If you needed an X-ray, a lab test, whatever, you paid for that in addition to your doctor's visit. We had no prescription drug coverage, no vision, no dental. A lot of expenses did not apply to the deductible at all.

The "free" healthcare your comapny paid for probably was similar to the above, in that you (actuall, the employees of the day) were paying for a lot more out of pocket.

Whine, whine, whine.

I did not have any student debt, but that was b/c my parents made it a priority to pay for my college education. Many in my class did have loans. When I graduated from college in 1970, a lot of guys in my class got drafted. Some of them got sent to Viet Nam. Some of them got killed there. My high school class did a memorial for all the class members who were killed in 'Nam.

Incompetent president? We had a crook, Nixon.

Failing economy? Check

High debt levels? I don't know.
The reason you didn't have any debt was becuase college didn't cost as much. Hell you could work during college and pay most of it off back then. Now just 4 years of college will cost $100,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies