Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:05 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times

Advertisements

adoption, marriage etc.

I'm gay and have no choice but too be gay. the quality of my life gets to be decided by straight people who DO NOT have to be gay. That makes no sense too me. If gay people can't get married and you're straight why should you get to decide on this? Afterall, either way the impact on YOUR quality of life is little to NONE.

When the polls close and everything is said and done you get to go home STRAIGHT and with the right to marry with marriage being defined ONLY to encompass YOUR sexual orientation. Thusly, why should you even be allowed to have a say?

I think that only GAY people should HAVE a say on things that have to do with OUR quality of life since we're the ones who's lives are actually IMPACTED by this.

Same goes for things like adoption. I never understood how it was any way LEGAL to NOT let me adopt since I"ve broken no law other than being born in a way some people don't like. I could never understand how people weren't like 'duh' there isn't a legal constitutional right to even CONSIDER not letting gay people adopt. unless being born gay is illegal.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:20 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
adoption, marriage etc.

I'm gay and have no choice but too be gay. the quality of my life gets to be decided by straight people who DO NOT have to be gay. That makes no sense too me. If gay people can't get married and you're straight why should you get to decide on this? Afterall, either way the impact on YOUR quality of life is little to NONE.

When the polls close and everything is said and done you get to go home STRAIGHT and with the right to marry with marriage being defined ONLY to encompass YOUR sexual orientation. Thusly, why should you even be allowed to have a say?

I think that only GAY people should HAVE a say on things that have to do with OUR quality of life since we're the ones who's lives are actually IMPACTED by this.

Same goes for things like adoption. I never understood how it was any way LEGAL to NOT let me adopt since I"ve broken no law other than being born in a way some people don't like. I could never understand how people weren't like 'duh' there isn't a legal constitutional right to even CONSIDER not letting gay people adopt. unless being born gay is illegal.

Marriage is a word that has meaning.

By changing the meaning of that word, you alter the definition of the unions based on it.

Marriage is the business of breeders, not homosexuals.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:27 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Marriage is a word that has meaning.

By changing the meaning of that word, you alter the definition of the unions based on it.

Marriage is the business of breeders, not homosexuals.
I'm 'married' and have no intention of 'breeding'
I married to formalise my love and commitment to my husband.
I don't get why gay people are not legally allowed to make the same commitment?

Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
I'm 'married' and have no intention of 'breeding'
I married to formalise my love and commitment to my husband.
I don't get why gay people are not legally allowed to make the same commitment?

Good point!

I don't get why I'm not allowed to call my garage band "Van Halen".

Old 07-16-2011, 10:41 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
Since gay people have no choice but to be gay why do straight people get to decide on things that ONLY affect us?
Because the Bible says so, and the Bible is the only book that matters.

Tis true, Sarah Palin said so.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Because the Bible says so, and the Bible is the only book that matters.

Tis true, Sarah Palin said so.

Atheist don't marry?

Hindus don't marry?

Buddhists don't marry?

Muslims don't marry?

Old 07-16-2011, 10:48 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Atheist don't marry?

Hindus don't marry?

Buddhists don't marry?

Muslims don't marry?
I don't remember the last time I saw a group of Atheists protesting gays right to adopt. Same goes for the other groups.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:48 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,203 times
What is wrong with the words "civil union?" I know someone who got married, got divorced, and then went to a justice of the peace to hook back up again. I think a lot of this is about semantics. As long as you get the same rights, must you insist on the same verbiage?

Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
adoption, marriage etc.

If you are sincere about not interfering with marriage as it applies to heterosexuals, why don't you invent your own unique brand of union with its own unique name?

Define it as you like and call it whatever pleases you.

Just don't call it marriage.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I don't remember the last time I saw a group of Atheists protesting gays right to adopt. Same goes for the other groups.

"Right to adopt"?

Who presently has the right to adopt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies