Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:56 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

i don't accept the "1983 onwards" definition of gen y. In my mind, then Gen Y'ers are the population bulge that represents the children of boomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Liberals are ruining this country, look at the mess they've gotten us into.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM

810 posts, read 837,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Liberals like George W. Bush, who fooled many dopes into supporting corporate welfare.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:02 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Liberals like George W. Bush, who fooled many dopes into supporting corporate welfare.
Agree. Bush was no conservative.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:02 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
and the blame game begins now

Old 07-18-2011, 01:04 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Agree. Bush was no conservative.
If he wasn't a conservative, he sure fooled a lot of conservatives, and the majority (if not the entire) of republican voters and "conservatives" among the independents.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:09 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
9.2% Unemployed: Tech Isn't Helping

I keep working on my Facebook page, it's really hi-tech. But I haven't yet made a worthless red cent off of it. I thought it was one of those money making job creation tools. ??? What the hey ???
- - -

oh yeah... /sarc off

Old 07-18-2011, 01:36 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If he wasn't a conservative, he sure fooled a lot of conservatives, and the majority (if not the entire) of republican voters and "conservatives" among the independents.
You see the (R) next to George Bush's name doesn't mean Republican it means..

Responsibility.

Only Bush is responsible for what Bush did, not the majority of Republican Representatives and Senators that passed anything that he wished for.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:59 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
I worked for a fortune 500 company and they had an assembly plant that employed about 2500. The company did well and the employees did well. Then came technology by the bucket load and the company decided to build a state of the art, brand new, robotic plant. It took they two years to build this plant and in the process they had meetings and advised the employees that there would be massive layoffs because they were reducing their stall from 2500 to 300. Finally opening day of the new plant and the new multi million dollar robotic lines did not work in their entirety or in at least in part. The company had to bring back the employees they had just laid off. The company had even gotten more contracts for their products so their staff was increased to over 3000 employees. All seem good for the workers. However, over a ten year period this company did get this robotic equipment to work piece by piece. They also outsourced several of their products to other countries. At the end of ten years only a few employees remained until they outsourced all their products and closed the brand new state of the art robotic plant.

While we were waiting for the new plant to open one production worker said to me, "I can't wait to get to the new plant so I don't have to do this job anymore." I asked, "If they eliminate your job what is it you think you will be doing at the new plant?" He looked at me with a blank stare.

Even when technology was on the doorstep many production people did not realize the future implications. Those that were qualified and those who re-educated themselves did not fare well either because a million dollar robot will not complete with a worker earning $.25 and hour. The real thing that technology has done is make the rich richer and the poor poorer while eliminating the middle class. The final result will be America the new third world country.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:09 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
...The company had to bring back the employees they had just laid off. The company had even gotten more contracts for their products so their staff was increased to over 3000 employees. All seem good for the workers. However, over a ten year period this company did get this robotic equipment to work piece by piece. They also outsourced several of their products to other countries. At the end of ten years only a few employees remained until they outsourced all their products and closed the brand new state of the art robotic plant...
Outsourcing means that the company replaced domestic workers with foreign workers, not replacing them with robots. And then there is the issue of creating a whole new (now, "tech") industry that designs, builds and maintains these robots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies