Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:03 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Stole my post!
I was thinking the same thing. I agree that a congressional vote could certainly be called for emergencies. Bush refused to ask for any responsibility in the wars he launched, so I cannot stomach the notion that this deficit and economy is Obama's. I think folks would have taken a tax hike to catch Osama Bin Laden. Saddam Hussein, nope. And that would have been the right decision.

I also agree that they would try to abuse it. But it would not be a yearly habit.

I personally think a balanced budget would keep us from having to raise the debt ceiling to cover accumulating debt. The current deficit is the result of decades of irresponsibility by both parties, and it must stop.

If the Tea Party could pass a balanced budget amendment, and compromise on everything else (yes, tax hikes, spending cuts with some partisan balance, and a temporary ceiling raise), they would earn my respect, because that would be an undeniable step forward.

I would add (to stir the pot) that a surplus rainy day fund of, say, 10% of GDP would also be necessary. One cannot avoid a debt without a little cushion. I suspect that few conservatives would support this, but my experience from Oregon is that eliminating all excess funding guarantees a deficit in any year where revenues drop unexpectantly.

Since we didn't need a tax increase to catch Bin Laden, why would you advocate one as though the two were somehow connected?

"Bush refused to ask for any responsibility in the wars he launched, so I cannot stomach the notion that this deficit and economy is Obama's."

Bush's federal deficts averaged $285 billion in constant 2005 dollars. Since Obama took over, federal deficits have averaged $1,294 billion and now you're willing to share the blame.

Well, Bush didn't blow up the deficit. Democrats did that when they took over the Congress. Since the regime seized power, deficits have more than quadrupled. There is no compromise with people don't understand why that is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 12:14 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Likely had this POTUS and his 100% Democrat controlled Congress during his first 2 years in office fulfilled their responsibility this wouldn't be an issue. Irresponsibility in spending more than revenues and failure to balance the budget has brought us to this proposed Amendment.
This is one of those truly WTF moments.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:16 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Likely had this POTUS and his 100% Democrat controlled Congress during his first 2 years in office fulfilled their responsibility this wouldn't be an issue. Irresponsibility in spending more than revenues and failure to balance the budget has brought us to this proposed Amendment.
This is truly one of those WTF moments. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:33 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This is truly one of those WTF moments. Where do you come up with this stuff?
You realize congress holds the purse strings, right?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Since we didn't need a tax increase to catch Bin Laden, why would you advocate one as though the two were somehow connected?

"Bush refused to ask for any responsibility in the wars he launched, so I cannot stomach the notion that this deficit and economy is Obama's."

Bush's federal deficts averaged $285 billion in constant 2005 dollars. Since Obama took over, federal deficits have averaged $1,294 billion and now you're willing to share the blame.

Well, Bush didn't blow up the deficit. Democrats did that when they took over the Congress. Since the regime seized power, deficits have more than quadrupled. There is no compromise with people don't understand why that is a problem.
You know the drop in revenues with the recession exacerbated a huge problem. Bush's policies were a fiscal disaster, so it is a fair attribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies