Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Next time we have to pay to Russia to go up and Obama made sure jobs will be created in the Country of Russia and killed over here....Thanks Mr. president for making more people unemployed!

It was emotional to watch this last shuttle returns safely. One of my kids friends went to a College near Cape Canaveral to get a future at NASA...well that dream is over! Under Bush he went to College and now just graduated with an illusion killed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:29 AM

269 posts, read 295,970 times
While it is certainly sad to see this is the last shuttle mission, ultimately private exploration will have to take over. SpaceX has been seeing some good results, so I'm hoping that gap will be filled shortly.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Next time we have to pay to Russia to go up and Obama made sure jobs will be created in the Country of Russia and killed over here....Thanks Mr. president for making more people unemployed!

It was emotional to watch this last shuttle returns safely. One of my kids friends went to a College near Cape Canaveral to get a future at NASA...well that dream is over! Under Bush he went to College and now just graduated with an illusion killed!
Perhaps you should be whining to the righties who tell us government DOES NOT create jobs.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:49 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
NASA, b.1958, d.2011 R.I.P.

While honeymooning in Florida in 1983, my then-wife and I visitied KSC. She asked me that day if I could do anything in the world career-wise, what would I dream of doing. I simply said "work for NASA." A year later I was working at NASA Headquarters in Washington. Ove the next 10 years, I had the opportunity to do a lot of interesting things and meet some amazing people who will forever be in the history books.

Today is a sad day. Not only the end of the Shuttle era, but effectively the end of the NASA dream, as the US is adrift and now without any manned flight capability. The technology coming out of NASA's research programs is far more wide-reaching than many realize. There was a NASA program called Spinoffs which promoted the re-use of NASA-developed and -funded technologies in ways that would benefit US industries and competitiveness. It's not just Tang and Velcro.

That's all behind us now. We can only remember when we were once great. Constellation might have been the next great step, but that big-eared beanpole in Washington has made sure the final nail has been driven into the coffin as far as America's technological prowess.

I used to follow each mission with keen interest. I have mission patches from all Shuttle flights, many of them from the early years being flown and some even given to me by the crew members who carried them into space.

I guess the only thing left of any interest will be the day that the ISS is de-orbited, which can't be that far off now.

R.I.P., NASA. It was a good run.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I guess the only thing left of any interest will be the day that the ISS is de-orbited, which can't be that far off now.
2016, if they stay on schedule.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I watched the return as well with a bit of sadness. I almost took a job at NASA when I got out of school but decided instead on my current career. NASA does hold a bit of a special place in my heart.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:08 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
The number of consumer products that have been invented by NASA as a result of the space program is astounding. The shutdown of the space program will be, in the long run, detrimental to industries across the spectrum.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The number of consumer products that have been invented by NASA as a result of the space program is astounding. The shutdown of the space program will be, in the long run, detrimental to industries across the spectrum.
My favorite of all time...TANG!! Man, I loved that stuff as a kid.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
NASA is a waste of taxpayer money. It should have been privatized years ago.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
NASA is a waste of taxpayer money. It should have been privatized years ago.
Sorry to disagree, but with the amount of scientific and consumer research that has come out of NASA, it's hard to say it was a waste of anything. Perhaps it could be run more economically, but after all, it is a government program, let's not expect miracles.

Privatization of NASA would have kept many useful products and medical procedures from being generally available to the public market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies