Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:03 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,412,066 times

Advertisements

he he he heee he he . . you said ha"boob" - hee, hee, he, he, hee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,211,658 times
In any case I prefer the Hijazi Arabic term "Shamal" or the Maghrebi "Mariah*" to the rather silly sounding "Haboob".

* Bet you didn't know Carey shared a name with a North African wind storm did you?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
How cute and "trendy" to use the arabic term, by the progressives. No doubt some attempt at appeasement. The intent, not the word itself, is what "critics" abhor. Look for more of the same. And I am not a "citizen of the world", as the article alludes. But am a proud citizen of the United States of America.
"Muslims, please like us! We'll use your words for dust storms, ok?"

What a ridiculous assertion. Languages borrow words from others all the time. "Tornado" comes from Spanish, must we insist we all say "twister" lest we be accused of trying to appease Hispanics?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,425,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I think they should call them Freedom Storms, that worked for french fries and toast.
Epic win

Old 07-22-2011, 11:17 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
"Muslims, please like us! We'll use your words for dust storms, ok?"

What a ridiculous assertion. Languages borrow words from others all the time. "Tornado" comes from Spanish, must we insist we all say "twister" lest we be accused of trying to appease Hispanics?
Or we could call them "cyclones" in order to appease the Greeks.

Quote:
cyclone etymology
1848, coined by British East India Co. official Henry Piddington to describe the devastating storm of December 1789 in Coringa, India; irregularly formed from Gk. kyklon "moving in a circle, whirling around," prp. of kykloun "move in a circle, whirl," from kyklos "circle" (see cycle). Applied to tornados from 1856.

Source: Online Etymology Dictionary

Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,259,294 times
I don't know if I am more bothered with the folks in the article making this fuss or with the many more people in this thread who agree with them.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
This just seems extreme. I wouldn't go so far as to use the term racist, but xenophobic definitely.

However, I would like to here from people who have served in the Middle East feel about the use of this term.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/22/us/22haboob.html
Why would it be xenophobic to suggest it was wrong to use the term? Why would you use a foreign term in the way that it was used?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Why would it be xenophobic to suggest it was wrong to use the term? Why would you use a foreign term in the way that it was used?
You might want to rethink your use of the word xenophobic. It is not like someone created that word while riding on the Mayflower. I am sure that you can find a more patriotic, All-American substitue if you try.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,294,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Given the xenophobic wave in Arizona recently, this isn't a surprise. It's become a very narrow-minded state. I'd even call it reactionary at this point.

The word "monsoon" also has Arabic roots, yet Arizonans have used it to describe the rainy season in Arizona for as long as I can remember. Are they now going to be upset about that word too?
Yep, many Americans call any really rainy period a monsoon but it is said in a joking manner by most I ever hear using it. i have always thought that the monsoon is a completely Southeast Asian phenomenon but maybe I am wrong. I remember the huge monsoons that happened in China in 2006 and telling people that the Chinese government must have rented the terrible Bush-Cheney giant wind machine that was used to blow up the hurricanes in the Gulf states that summer.

I say that haboob will soon replace dust storm is it is allowed. I can safely say that the red dust storms we experienced in western Kansas in the mid and early 50s didn't blow up from some down draft. That dirt came up out of west Texas and Oklahoma and could be seen coming for over 24 hours.

However, since about 1 in 4 people in the world are Muslims maybe we better get started playing up to them early so they won't force us to be dhimmis when they take over the US.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,294,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I'm a meteorologist. We have always called these haboobs, and it is nothing new.

This is just like that time social conservatives wanted to rename French fries to freedom fries. Ironically, when I was at the University of Arizona in 2008-2009, there was a cafeteria that still called them freedom fries. I didnt eat there again.
I bet they changed the name to french fries when you griped by not going back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies