Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,916,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Indeed it is. A living wage is earned, not expected, and not given. Glad we can agree on that!
Yet due to the policies of our government across both political parties in the past 10 years, a living wage is not expected anymore. Just ask all the people out of work actively seeking work.

An economy is not successful when 50% of the new jobs created are minimum wage with no hope for advancement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
If unions want to tell people how to run their businesses why don't they take that dues money (required from their membership) that they use to buy politicians and pay big union bosses, and instead, start their own corporation that pays a living wage? You know, actually provide jobs to those who expect rather than earn instead of liberal lip service!

just sayin.....

Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
I am just gald I live in a area where I deidn't even know what a flashmob was util I ready up on them. I woud think any organization would get any good from supportig such activity really in public opinion.Seems unions have already in some instances turned out to be their own worse enemy in that reguard.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,622,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They provided low paying crap jobs that replaced the manufacturing jobs they destroyed by basically forcing all of their suppliers to shift production overseas.

Wal-mart are "the job producers" also I guess..their executives and stockholders got rich while they helped destroy American manufacturing and small business. They are purely benevolent in the minds of the Fox News crowd, somehow.
And we all know that the way to go is high-paying union jobs, huh? I mean...look how the auto industry has been so successful the last few years....er....wait.....

Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,387,910 times
Quote:

Retail is not a high paying job, less so at discount stores. Is not some income better than no income? If the employees are that unhappy with their jobs and their pay they can choose to work elsewhere.
While retail is not a high paying field, apparently Wal-mart has a higher % of employees on assistance than other corps. If you recognize that these are working people and not sitting on their arse, I take it you're ok with providing assistance to them with your tax dollars.

And choose to work elsewhere? Is it that easy in Mo?
I'm sure it isn't in many other locations.

If you google "Wal-mart employees welfare" or "Wal-mart management" you'll find plenty of evidence that they have a record of questionable employee policies.

Oh well, at least these people are working even if it isn't enough to not require assistance or medicaid.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
While retail is not a high paying field, apparently Wal-mart has a higher % of employees on assistance than other corps. If you recognize that these are working people and not sitting on their arse, I take it you're ok with providing assistance to them with your tax dollars.

And choose to work elsewhere? Is it that easy in Mo?
I'm sure it isn't in many other locations.

If you google "Wal-mart employees welfare" or "Wal-mart management" you'll find plenty of evidence that they have a record of questionable employee policies.

Oh well, at least these people are working even if it isn't enough to not require assistance or medicaid.
So you do support flashmobs and tresspassing on private property by unions, is that correct?

Again, if unions can do it so much better let them start up their own corporation to compete against the likes of those corporations having employment policies whith which they disagree. Of course, entrepreneurship is not exactly the union way is it. Wouldn't union empoyees stand in line for those kind of jobs? Wouldn't families of union workers support such businesses?

Go build a better mousetrap; but, don't tell someone else how they have to attend to theirs. Especially not through flashmobs, protesting, trespassing, bully tactics, etc... .

Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,371,754 times
Quote:
So you do support flashmobs and tresspassing on private property by unions, is that correct?
They were not trespassing on private property, Walmart invites the public into their stores.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,622,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
They were not trespassing on private property, Walmart invites the public into their stores.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighttttt......cuz we all know that Walmart has weekly sing-alongs and invites the public to gather and disrupt business.

Heck...maybe next week I'll head over to the Sporting Goods aisle and fire up a Coleman to sing kumbayah around it.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
To shop, not to have a flashmob. Unless of course you can post where Wal-Mart invites union protestors specifically to hold internet SEIU inspired flashmobs inside of their stores during hours of operation; then, and only then, I'll retract my statement.

Forgive me if I don't hold my breath.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,387,910 times
Quote:
Again, if unions can do it so much better let them start up their own corporation to compete against the likes of those corporations who's policies they disagree.
Frankly, I don't know what a flash mob is. I'd have to read up about it and the reports as to what happened at the Wal-mart store. I take it you consider it to be an unethical tactic.

I used to work for a company a long time ago that not only trained us on how to keep unions out of our workplace, but some of the tactics were downright unethical in my opinion. The union did come in and oddly enough, I got along fine with them. Yes, it took a lot of documentation to discipline or fire workers, but it could be done. And, yes, some of the rules were silly... like I wasn't supposed to pick up something and move it. But it wasn't that big of a deal. And yet, I still won an award for the quality of work my staff did.... and made a nice profit for my company.

So, I dont understand why I only see folks saying how unions use dirty practices. Corporations and business are by no way innocent of dirty tricks.

The only reason I support unions these days is because I think the power has shifted too far in the corporations favor. Back in the 60s, I didn't support unions much at all as I thought they had too much power and were too inflexible. I think the environment has changed way in favor of the employers. You don't agree, fine. I can live with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies