Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 10:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidee View Post
Actually, when convicts/pasients are released from forced psychiatric care they may be transferred to a regular prison.

Breivik did not fear being declared insane because of this. He feared this would weaken his cause and agenda. Meaning he thought the cultural marxists would use this as a tool to commit character assassination. He believes he is a martyr (or even hero/savior) and had already accepted death or any kind of prison sentence.

This certainly borders schizophrenia... The question is if he was psychotic during the mass murders. There are experts saying he wasn't. Even though they haven't read the full report. Considering the amount of years he planned this. I'm eager to see if they want a second opinion in this matter.

Edit: I would provide articles confirming this, but it's in Norwegian and I'm to lazy to google
I have to say, as he receives treatment and medication for his delusions, how terrible it would be to come to the realization that you are a monster, a vicious murderous monster that cold-bloodedly mowed down children. I think if I were him, I'd refuse treatment, because the alternative to accept responsibility for his terrible actions, to acknowledge how monstrous those actions were, is just awful. I think I would prefer death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 AM

119 posts, read 150,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I have to say, as he receives treatment and medication for his delusions, how terrible it would be to come to the realization that you are a monster, a vicious murderous monster that cold-bloodedly mowed down children. I think if I were him, I'd refuse treatment, because the alternative to accept responsibility for his terrible actions, to acknowledge how monstrous those actions were, is just awful. I think I would prefer death.
Interestingly you present a catch 22 problem. Because if he would fear realizing what he has really done he may not be schizophrenic to begin with. I doubt he would refuse treatment for this reason.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Interestingly you present a catch 22 problem. Because if he would fear realizing what he has really done he may not be schizophrenic to begin with. I doubt he would refuse treatment for this reason.
To accept treatment is a tacit acceptance that his perceptions of reality may be wrong. To refuse treatment is an assertion that his perception of reality is the correct one.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
To accept treatment is a tacit acceptance that his perceptions of reality may be wrong. To refuse treatment is an assertion that his perception of reality is the correct one.
Not necessarily. I believe he will accept treatment but not because he accepts that he needs it. He believes he is a martyr and is willing to die or be tortured for his cause.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily. I believe he will accept treatment but not because he accepts that he needs it. He believes he is a martyr and is willing to die or be tortured for his cause.
If he doesn't accept that he needs treatment, why accept treatment? And even if he does accept treatment, as the enormity of what he's done becomes clear, what's to stop him from declining treatment in the future? When faced with the reality that you have committed a monstrous act, how many of us would prefer our delusions?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:13 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,143 times
Quote:
Norwegian newspaper spoke to other people with the diagnosis paranoid schizophrenia, who were quite offended at being lumped in with Breivik. (Although it just went to show that people really were out to get them, apparently)

One of them, who had recovered from psychotic episodes, said he hoped Breivik never recovered, because he would not wish upon anyone waking up and realizing they'd done something like that.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:35 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,053 times
When I first heard the news I was incredulous but then I thought- must be worse in Norway to be institutionalized for life in a mental facility than to go to jail for 15 years for heinous crimes committed against humanity.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
When I first heard the news I was incredulous but then I thought- must be worse in Norway to be institutionalized for life in a mental facility than to go to jail for 15 years for heinous crimes committed against humanity.
He would get either 21 years or 30 years... but he would in reality probably never be let out again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies