Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,000,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Wow are you guys all wealthy retirees! I am glad you're happy. Unfortunately in the short term, there will probably be more unemployment and deflation (I was wrong about inflation, I now believe) in the US. Sadly, even with lower prices, the "average American" still won't be able to afford the goods.

Entities who have variable rates of credit (credit cards, lines of credit) or who rely on credit to make large purchases will have to do without the items such as cars, electronics and houses. Those guys may also have to pay higher interest rates. Interest rates can get as high as 50% or higher. It has happened in other countries, if I am not mistaken.

While people without unique skills, connections or even advanced education may have been able to make very high salaries in the US in the past couple of decades, that's probably a phenomenon of the past. I predict the US will start to resemble modern day Mexico: Large lower class vs small extremely wealthy upper class...high unemployment...scarcity of goods.

I guess an extremely wealthy and powerful upper class may seem nice...but those guys seem to produce offspring like Paris Hilton and the heiress who married Tila Tequila LOL. Also, the Republicans spent a lot of our money themselves to get us into massive debt... Nevertheless, the ones who do not want to raise taxes on "job creators" may have won...

I'm not sure how this will play out in the rest of the world...China, for instance has a lot of consumers, and with low prices, they may buy more and make their region more prosperous...Perhaps India may suffer as US companies move their "IT" work to less expensive locations (not because they HAVE to, but to squeeze another penny of profit out)...but for people who live and work in America...average people...who have been able to get jobs and buy things...up til now...It's not looking so great.

Sadly, while I am in a better financial position than a lot of people, I'm not independently wealthy...so I can't really rejoice.
Do you know 16 States are considering creating their own currency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Do you know 16 States are considering creating their own currency?
Is that 16 States or 16 mountains in Montana?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Why would the Republicans want to raise the debt ceiling twice; once now and then again before the 2012 elections?
To get more cuts of course. Only a fool would do otherwise.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I am definitely not a RW nut, if that's what you think a Centrist is, but do enjoy your fantasy.
yep, 1 track mind.. If they dont agree with YOU, they are a nut, even if you are wrong. Sorry, I'm not a "yes sir" type of guy. Sad to see so many pathetic liberals who are, and then have to mask it by claiming they are a "centrist"..

Old 07-25-2011, 10:38 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Big question is, do they know, or are they intent go be memorialized in History by the "Great Republican Depression" of 2011? Or, maybe "The Huge Norquist Boehner of 2011".

Wonkbook: Republicans have won. But can they stop there? - Ezra Klein - The Washington Post
The repubs HAVE passed bills.

The dem controlled Senate not only have NOT passed anything, the haven't even proposed anything.

I think you need to get up to speed.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Dems took over for 2 years and ran through money like it was no tomorrow with no concern. They didn't even pass a budget in 2010. The effects of the stimulus wore off and we're back to where we started out.

Republicans have been in the House only for 6 months and you call "Republican's fault" ?

Blind partisanship is all I can attribute this to.
Nor 2009. Remember the $410 billion Omnibus spending bill?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
First of all, why would this be attached to republicans, do we no longer have a president? Are presidents. or at least this one, so inconsequential now, that the economy is no longer influenced by them?

You guys whine that 0bama inherited the economy from Bush, and yet the democrats controlled both houses of congress for the last two years under Bush!!! Why isn't this 0bama's economy, just because the republicans hold one house for seven months? Is 0bama that insignificant, is Reid that inept, are both men that inconsequential???

The dems can **** and whine all they want, they ran the complete show in Washington for two years; with plenty of clowns, geeks and bearded women. The dems had two years and never passed a budget, never bothered to tackle the inevitable debt crisis; and even now Reid has not passed a budget. So here we are at the nth hour..... and still no plan in writing from the democrats, that can be scored by the CBO, or passed by the house.

The republican congress sent two bills to the democratic controlled senate, and they refused to event debate, amend, pass, or offer any plan, in writing, related to the debt or budget.

Edit: You want bipartisanship!! The cap, cut and balance bill that the congress just sent to the senate was bipartisan, so how about Reid debate it in open session.

We will witness the 0bama depression, he is the president after all. Or is this another new historic event we can hand 0bama, where the president no longer leads the nation, and is no longer the steward of the economy?
Budgets do not come from the White house they come from Congress and the party that has controlled Congress since January, 2007 is the Democrat party.

Furthermore, the Democrats have controlled the budget process for FY 2008 and FY 2009 as well as FY 2010 and FY 2011.

In that first year they had to contend with G.W. Bush, which caused them to compromise on spending, when Bush somewhat belatedly got tough on spending increases.

For FY 2009 though, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid bypassed Bush entirely, passing continuing resolutions to keep the government running until Obama took office. At that time they passed a massive omnibus spending bill to complete the FY 2009 budgets.

And where was Obama during this time? He was a member of the very Congress that passed all theses massive spending bills and he signed the omnibus bill as president to complete the FY 2009.

If the Democrats inherited any deficit, it was the FY 2007 deficit, the last of the Republican budgets. That deficit was the lowest in 5 years, and the fourth straight decline in deficit spending. After that the Democrats took control of Congress and that included Obama who voted for the budgets.

If Obama inherited anything, he inherited it from himself.

In a nutshell, what Obama is saying is I inherited a deficit I voted for, then voted to expand that deficit 4 fold since January, 20th.

But, it is Bush's fault!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
The Republicans have not yet won. They are, however, trying to destroy Obama, at the risk of destroying America.

It will not happen.

Why would the Republicans want to raise the debt ceiling twice; once now and then again before the 2012 elections? Why would the Republicans want to go through this fight twice rather than come to an agreement on a long term, BALANCED bill? Why? Why?

Because they are more concerned about destroying President Obama than they are concerned with rebuilding and saving America.

_____ all republicans. And ____ to hell all teabaggers.
And some question why the repubs can't negotiate with the left!

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John
Wayne

Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,000,585 times
Quote:
The Republicans have not yet won. They are, however, trying to destroy Obama, at the risk of destroying America.

It will not happen.

Why would the Republicans want to raise the debt ceiling twice; once now and then again before the 2012 elections? Why would the Republicans want to go through this fight twice rather than come to an agreement on a long term, BALANCED bill? Why? Why?

Because they are more concerned about destroying President Obama than they are concerned with rebuilding and saving America.

_____ all republicans. And ____ to hell all teabaggers.
OBAMA doesn't need the REPUBS to destroy him he is doing a great job destroying himself...Obama Self-Destruction Destruction Co.Inc LLC.

Obama is more worried about his IMAGE and being RE-ELECTED...

Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
It could be that a short tern ceiling is not a bad idea. I don't know why the GOP would want this issue alive in the heat of the Campaign, considering how it's helping the Dems now. Brightness is not a trait of the current RW extreme GOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies