Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:41 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymcmillan View Post
The upper class pays 70% of the taxes (and get more breaks) but controls well over 70% of the wealth.

How is that fair?
Well first off,those NOT paying taxes do get tax breaks,that is why they aren't paying any taxes....

As to it being unfair that the wealthy have more wealth....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
You just restated my point. A man making $5,000,000 a year through exploiting loopholes in the system pays nothing, yet the kid saving for his first car working 20 hours a week every day after school pays more?
Except for the matter that the wealthy pay more in taxes...I believe the figure is over 50% now of eligible American households that do not pay federal income tax....

Quote:
You... don't see a problem with this? I'm just asking when the rich will do their part. Oh wait... They won't. They've got the majority party in the house in their pockets.
The problem I see is where some pay a higher percentage than others,now if you want to discuss something being unfair,that would be it.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:59 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
You don't believe in progressive taxation, we get it. If you don't like it, move.
That's what most people will do.

But of course the government said the same, except they added, you just can't leave.

Added together you got this:

If you don't like it, move. But you just can't leave.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
About 47 percent will pay no federal income taxes at all for 2009. Either their incomes were too low, or they qualified for enough credits, deductions and exemptions to eliminate their liability. That's according to projections by the Tax Policy Center, a Washington research organization.
Quote:
In recent years, credits for low- and middle-income families have grown so much that a family of four making as much as $50,000 will owe no federal income tax for 2009, as long as there are two children younger than 17, according to a separate analysis by the consulting firm Deloitte Tax.
Quote:
The result is a tax system that exempts almost half the country from paying for programs that benefit everyone, including national defense, public safety, infrastructure and education. It is a system in which the top 10 percent of earners -- households making an average of $366,400 in 2006 -- paid about 73 percent of the income taxes collected by the federal government.
Quote:
The bottom 40 percent, on average, make a profit from the federal income tax, meaning they get more money in tax credits than they would otherwise owe in taxes. For those people, the government sends them a payment.
Nearly half of US households escape fed income tax - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nearly-half-of-US-households-apf-1105567323.html?x=0 - broken link)

Old 07-26-2011, 07:20 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Or it's more like... One tenant pays little to no rent through a hole in the contract and have a massive income and complains about it being too high while the tenants with the lowest income pay more rent and get no maintenance services while they're at it and would willingly pay more to have them... however, they wish the rich prick would actually pay his fair share so the landlord can afford to give them their maintenance services back.
So how does your fairy tale square with the fact that the top 10% of earners are paying 70% of the total federal income taxes collected? What would be a fair proportion of the total for them to pay, if 70% isn't enough? 80%? 100?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
You just restated my point. A man making $5,000,000 a year through exploiting loopholes in the system pays nothing, yet the kid saving for his first car working 20 hours a week every day after school pays more?

You... don't see a problem with this? I'm just asking when the rich will do their part. Oh wait... They won't. They've got the majority party in the house in their pockets.
Please name a single tax loophole that is available to the wealthy that is not available to the middle class. I am far from wealthy, and yet the most I have ever paid in income taxes has an effective yearly rate of 10.5%.

Maybe instead of complaining about the wealthy taking advantage of 'loopholes' you could educate yourself on the tax system and take advantage of them yourself. Don't punish someone else because you didn't take the time to study the American tax system and they did.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:28 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
So how does your fairy tale square with the fact that the top 10% of earners are paying 70% of the total federal income taxes collected? What would be a fair proportion of the total for them to pay, if 70% isn't enough? 80%? 100?

The top 10% earn more than the entire federal budget! Nobody wants to screw anyone over.. I believe its good to be rewarded for hard work and creativity. But its about taking fair responsibility for America's fiscal need - tax those who can afford it and cut spending not to screw anyone over either.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Please name a single tax loophole that is available to the wealthy that is not available to the middle class. I am far from wealthy, and yet the most I have ever paid in income taxes has an effective yearly rate of 10.5%.

Maybe instead of complaining about the wealthy taking advantage of 'loopholes' you could educate yourself on the tax system and take advantage of them yourself. Don't punish someone else because you didn't take the time to study the American tax system and they did.
This is a good point,what are the SPECIFIC tax loopholes ONLY available to the fabled rich?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Suppose you were renting a house from a landlord.

The landlord is very irresponsible with the rent money that they collect.

They realize that they will lose the property if they do not get more money.

They raise your rent for additional revenue, but not the other tenant because you earn more money.

Then they spend that extra money irresponsibly.

They come back to you for more revenue.

How long will you continue paying more?

This is exactly the position we are in with our government.

This is a typical nonsense statement - you are comparing a $14tn debt that has been created by decades of policy (from both parties) to 'renting an apartment from a landlord'???? And in your situation the 'irresponsible landlord' is the government, and the 'tenant' is the poor taxpayer!!

Please don't compare a $15tn economy with a single market transaction - its downright ridiculous.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
This is a good point,what are the SPECIFIC tax loopholes ONLY available to the fabled rich?

I can't believe you need this explained but: reforming the tax code isn't about the individual, it is about a fair system. If the $1m profit that a hedge fund manager can be written off as a 'capital gain', or a private Gulf Stream can be considered a corporate asset and tax deduct then this isn't a fair system. If I could afford a Gulf Stream or make $1m from hedge funds then it would apply to me too.

My wife and I pay taxes (to the US and UK government) on what we earn - so how can GE pay zero taxes on $15bn? It wouldn't be so bad if they actually employed more people but they actually cut 5% of the workforce!

Oh, and BP just announced a $6bn profit for the last P&L - I wonder what the tax bill will be against the 'goodness' for society this will bring - I'm so excited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies