Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times

Advertisements

So many on here know that I'm quite an advocate for a Parliamentary system on the Federal level here in the United States with a President as head of state and a Premier as head of government located within the House of Representatives, and a Senate that acts simply as a check on the House for most nonbudgetary matters, helps approve treaties, approves Supreme Court Justices, etc.

In addition to that, I also advocate for a more Parliamentary system on the state level, with unicameral legislatures headed by a ___ (help me out here... if we have a Premier on the federal level, what do we call it at the state level? The best thing I can come up with is Prime Commissioner... but that doesn't seem to flow right and sounds like it is out of a scifi movie... we don't have Ministers in the United States, so Prime Minister is out.), a Governor with limited powers, and no Senate (there is absolutely no reason for states to have bicameral legislatures... federal yes... but not states. It's just more bureaucracy and a waste of time and money.)

I have also had another thought about this system. When a President or Governor receives a bill from the legislature, he or she will have three options:

1. Sign it for Assent
2. Send it immediately to the Supreme Court for Constitutional Review (System's version of a veto)
3. Do not sign it and force the legislature to vote to override the P/G (if a majority is gained again, but not enough to override, it will be sent to the Supreme Court for Constitutional Review)

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 03:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Yes. I quite like it that the individual states each have their own peculiarities and structures. I don't want them to have a dictated structure and process at all.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:26 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,965 times
Isn't Nebraska unicameral?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:31 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes. I quite like it that the individual states each have their own peculiarities and structures. I don't want them to have a dictated structure and process at all.
It doesn't really vary that much. Nebraska is the lone exception in terms of uni or bicameral... and Governors are still both HoS and HoGs everywhere.

I'm not saying that the federal Constitution dictate the exact structure of state governments. I'm moreso saying let one state change, enjoy its success, then watch the popularity of the system spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Isn't Nebraska unicameral?
Nebraska is unicameral and nonpartisan, and that works really well out there... I lived there for a little while. Between them and the Canadian provinces, that's where this idea came from. The nonpartisan part doesn't since parties still "suggest" candidates to vote for, though. One problem, though, is that the executive is still removed from the legislature and the Governor is still both HoS and HoG.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Good thing Constitutional Conventions are rare.

An upper body 'overseeing' a lower body? Who's gonna oversee the upper body? The wealthy? Dems will love that one.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:02 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
States have their own constitutions and I'm pretty sure that any state could adopt a parliamentary system if the people wanted to. Some states allow constitutional referendums, which is true democracy in action, while many do not. In a state like California, given enough popular support, a referendum to rewrite the state constitution could probably be put to a vote.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 PM

396 posts, read 906,346 times
My ideal Parliamentary Govt for the country is,

Abolish the Senate
Supreme Court powers limited

House of Reps is expanded to include 601 representatives. Prime Minister is elected out of the House. No President. Parliamentary Sovereignty.

I think duel executives is kind of dumb but go the France route if you absolutely must have duel executives.

I wouldn't mind State Govts being abolished honestly. I prefer a Unitary system but the US might be too big to enact such a system.

Proportional Representation of the House. Multi party coalition system Governments! Elections must be held at least once every 5 years for the house. Presidential, if you have a duel executive, would be held only once every 4 years.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:26 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The states don't have a dictated structure or process. Any state that wants to follow the OP's suggestion is free to adopt constitutional procedures to do so.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:27 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
I like it tbh

Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
So many on here know that I'm quite an advocate for a Parliamentary system on the Federal level here in the United States with a President as head of state and a Premier as head of government located within the House of Representatives, and a Senate that acts simply as a check on the House for most nonbudgetary matters, helps approve treaties, approves Supreme Court Justices, etc.

In addition to that, I also advocate for a more Parliamentary system on the state level, with unicameral legislatures headed by a ___ (help me out here... if we have a Premier on the federal level, what do we call it at the state level? The best thing I can come up with is Prime Commissioner... but that doesn't seem to flow right and sounds like it is out of a scifi movie... we don't have Ministers in the United States, so Prime Minister is out.), a Governor with limited powers, and no Senate (there is absolutely no reason for states to have bicameral legislatures... federal yes... but not states. It's just more bureaucracy and a waste of time and money.)

I have also had another thought about this system. When a President or Governor receives a bill from the legislature, he or she will have three options:

1. Sign it for Assent
2. Send it immediately to the Supreme Court for Constitutional Review (System's version of a veto)
3. Do not sign it and force the legislature to vote to override the P/G (if a majority is gained again, but not enough to override, it will be sent to the Supreme Court for Constitutional Review)

Any thoughts?
Good god no! the reason europeans are almost always rioting is that even tho they have the opportunity to vote none of their poliltical parties can govern without forming coalitions with other sometimes hostile parties. They can never really assuage their their bases leaving the people fully convinced they cannot affect change at the ballot box. I believe the parlimentary system would be horrible for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies