Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:32 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times

Advertisements

"But Obama has all but ruled out invoking the 14th Amendment to raise the debt limit and prevent a government default.
There is a provision in our Constitution that speaks to making sure that the United States meets its obligations, and there have been some suggestions that a president could use that language to basically ignore that debt-ceiling rule, which is a statutory rule, Obama said last week during a town hall meeting. I have talked to my lawyers; they are not persuaded that that is a winning argument.
The Democratic leaders acknowledged Obamas reluctance to invoke the Constitution amid the debt-limit fight, but said they simply wanted to inform the president that theyd support him if Republicans left him no other choice.
He has taken … a position on this already, Larson said. But circumstances could change [and] we just want to let him know that this caucus is prepared to stand behind him.

Of course he won't use it because then HE would own it and couldn't blame Bush or repubs or whoever he can come up with. What a coward in chief. Get it past the election is all he wants or cares about. Oh and his golf and vacations. Meechele must be getting pretty pissed off they haven't been able to tour across the world lately on the taxpayers dime.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/17...14th-amendment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:33 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,106 times
Amazing only time Dems talk about the Constitution is when they are trying to shove something down our throats...

Old 07-27-2011, 11:35 AM

LOL. Yeah but the orator is scared as a roach when the lights come on. He can save all those po old seniors he's always claiming to care about but noooo he cares more about next election.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
He doesn't want to get impeached by the house before the 2012 election. It wouldn't pass the Senate or make it to POTUS but it would be a HUGE BLACK mark on his presidency for a first termer. Then again maybe not.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,122 times
I'm betting Obama will end up using the constitutional provision. I'm not even sure why the House Republicans are going to try to push through a bill that won't pass the Senate.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
"But Obama has all but ruled out invoking the 14th Amendment to raise the debt limit and prevent a government default.
There is a provision in our Constitution that speaks to making sure that the United States meets its obligations, and there have been some suggestions that a president could use that language to basically ignore that debt-ceiling rule, which is a statutory rule, Obama said last week during a town hall meeting. I have talked to my lawyers; they are not persuaded that that is a winning argument.
The Democratic leaders acknowledged Obamas reluctance to invoke the Constitution amid the debt-limit fight, but said they simply wanted to inform the president that theyd support him if Republicans left him no other choice.
He has taken … a position on this already, Larson said. But circumstances could change [and] we just want to let him know that this caucus is prepared to stand behind him.

Of course he won't use it because then HE would own it and couldn't blame Bush or repubs or whoever he can come up with. What a coward in chief. Get it past the election is all he wants or cares about. Oh and his golf and vacations. Meechele must be getting pretty pissed off they haven't been able to tour across the world lately on the taxpayers dime.

House Democrats urge Obama to invoke the 14th Amendment in debt fight - TheHill.com
Bothers you that President Obama is going to make the GOP deal or get their fair share of blame if we default doesn't it. Good
Casper

Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I'm betting Obama will end up using the constitutional provision. I'm not even sure why the House Republicans are going to try to push through a bill that won't pass the Senate.
They are Pandering, That is why.
Casper

Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Actually I wish he would. Just as long as his name is on the note for any money he borrows. He borrows it, he pays it.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Bothers you that President Obama is going to make the GOP deal or get their fair share of blame if we default doesn't it. Good
Casper
Apparently you havn't been paying attention.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:44 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

House Democrats urge Obama to invoke the 14th Amendment in debt fight - TheHill.com
Must be a bunch of constitutional scholars in that Dem caucus. Actually, at best, the 14th Amendment would allow the president to prioritize spending to ensure that our bondholders are paid first. And that is entirely consistent with a move by House Republicans to pass a law to require the president to pay bondholders first, then Social Security recipients and then our military personnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies