Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:51 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,984 times

Advertisements

Seems you are expecting Congressmen who do not represent your district to act a certain way. Seems a bit odd that you're surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,238 times
I want them to represent their district which means drop theatrics and represent people instead of the corporate interests that created this charade.

Seems like you are expecting Congressmen to represent corporate interests instead of people. That's a bit odd, unless you are a Republican.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I want them to represent their district which means drop theatrics and represent people instead of the corporate interests that created this charade.

Seems like you are expecting Congressmen to represent corporate interests instead of people. That's a bit odd, unless you are a Republican.

How does it help corporate interests if their corp. stocks crash back down to the size they should be before Paulson & Bernankee inflated it.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:00 PM

855 posts, read 1,172,829 times
regardless of where they are from, I have a hard time believing that their constituents advocate their behavior.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,696,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Seems you are expecting Congressmen who do not represent your district to act a certain way. Seems a bit odd that you're surprised.
How about every single citizen that has voted be responsible to the larger collective society called the United States of America?

As a US Citizen, I make sure that I vote reasonably for the benefit of not only myself, but for others as well. I can't always get what I want so I am willing concede on some things.

It's called compromise. Yes, it's that dirty word that the Tea Partiers and House GOP have removed from their vocabulary.

The Tea Party is the spoiled brat that need to be slapped around and then silenced before they spawn destruction of the economic's recent recovery.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
regardless of where they are from, I have a hard time believing that their constituents advocate their behavior.
May they be voted out next election then, but that is between them and their district, and doesn't involve you at all.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:13 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Because 100% of their constituents agree with their actions?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
How about every single citizen that has voted be responsible to the larger collective society called the United States of America?
OK. I think raising the debt ceiling is irresponsible.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,271 times
Quote:
It's called compromise. Yes, it's that dirty word that the Tea Partiers and House GOP have removed from their vocabulary.

The Tea Party is the spoiled brat that need to be slapped around and then silenced before they spawn destruction of the economic's recent recovery.
I will never understand why anyone would object to getting our bloated, insanely large government under some sort of control, considering how quickly our nation has declined in the era of Big Government. It robs the working class blind to pay for a million Special Interests, and most of us around now will recover virtually nothing in return for the massive tax burden we try to survive under.

Recent recovery? I live in NH, where the media loudly touts that we are flying through the Recession without any problems at all. If you didn't live here, you'd think jobs were available and costs sane. Yet my area no longer has a Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC, etc., despite insane numbers of human beings seething everywhere and clogging the roads. This weekend we went to the local BlockBuster to rent a movie, and found the place out of business. Now there are no places to rent a movie within 30 minutes drive. The only regular movie theater left in Southern NH is so crowded that you have to arrive at least 4 hours before the movie starts or it will be sold out.

The resident of southern NH now has less choices of restaurants, shops, and services than we had in the 1970s, when I was a kid. The difference is that now, after paying for Big Business necessities like utilities and health care, and paying property taxes that have exploded to absolutely ridiculous levels, the average citizen has very little left over for quality of life purchases.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,543 times
Quote:

As a US Citizen, I make sure that I vote reasonably for the benefit of not only myself, but for others as well. I can't always get what I want so I am willing concede on some things.

Compromise is not asking one group of people to have a tax rate while others do not have one (that is discrimination)...if revenues are to be raised it should be on everyone or non at all....that is compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies