Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:33 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times

Advertisements

Don't worry guys, things might be scary for the next few days on the stock market, but I believe no deal will pass and Obama will use the 14th Amendment on August 1 or 2.

Obama is waiting until the last day to use this power because it's a fail safe mechanism.

If anyone tries to challenge him, it will have to be after Aug 2 and they won in court, they would take full responsibility for the downfall of our economy.

With that being said, NO ONE will challenge it. If Obama used this power last week, he would have faced opposition because there would have still been time.

This is my prediction of what will happen.

...and I hope I'm right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 01:37 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,982,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Don't worry guys, things might be scary for the next few days on the stock market, but I believe no deal will pass and Obama will use the 14th Amendment on August 1 or 2.

Obama is waiting until the last day to use this power because it's a fail safe mechanism.

If anyone tries to challenge him, it will have to be after Aug 2 and they won in court, they would take full responsibility for the downfall of our economy.

With that being said, NO ONE will challenge it. If Obama used this power last week, he would have faced opposition because there would have still been time.

...and I hope I'm right!
I hope he uses the 14th also

Old 07-28-2011, 05:29 AM

84 posts, read 54,527 times
He can't "use" the 14th amendment. WHere did this garbage come from?

The 14th amendment just recognizes the validility of public debt, and declares that government can not take the property of those southerners who fought against the United States in the civil war. Only Congress has the power to envoke anything within the 14th amendment. Jesus Christ can you people learn how to read?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Independents don't like power grabs. Bad idea politically on his part, and no one could prove that not invoking it would have been the better approach. He desperately wants to avoid using it from a strategic standpoint.

But I agree with the OP in that I am definitely hoping he uses it!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,837,136 times
The 14th Amendment specifies the public debt authorized by law - which is now capped at the debt ceiling by legislation ...

We MUST pay our debt UP TO that point -BUT it in NO WAY gives the President unilateral authority to raise it ...

BOGUS argument - and MOST LIKELY unconstitutional ...

If Obama invokes the 14th Amendment of the Constitution to unilaterally and illegally issue additional debt, then the Congress needs to invoke Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution and remove him from office.

By the way, I would be surprised if anyone would buy Obama’s new treasury bonds, because they will not have been authorized by Congress and therefore will be not legal and valid obligations of the US government.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-28-2011 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: response to deleted quote

Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

...and I hope I'm right!

If these "presidential" and "constitutional" powers were legal and legitimate, then there would be no need whatsoever for debt limit legislation at all -none.

If the president attempts to invoke "constitutional powers" which do not exist, it would probably trigger impeachment proceedings. Obama is incompetent, but not stupid. There is no way he will attempt to exceed his constitutional authority.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Go ahead...make my day!

Pure fascism.

The day he becomes a dictator, is the day the people have the right to remove him from office.

Not months or years later.

It is in our US Constitution.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:14 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
I love how his supporters actually want him to go dictator style.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If these "presidential" and "constitutional" powers were legal and legitimate, then there would be no need whatsoever for debt limit legislation at all -none.

If the president attempts to invoke "constitutional powers" which do not exist, it would probably trigger impeachment proceedings. Obama is incompetent, but not stupid. There is no way he will attempt to exceed his constitutional authority.

He already told the Mexicans here just days ago, he would not go around congress to pass the dream act.

...but this is much different.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:16 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I love how his supporters actually want him to go dictator style.
It is simply because they are interpreting the amendment the way they like it to be.

(In before libs spout about gun-lovers' 2nd amendment interpretation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies