Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

The reason for the crash is irrelevant to the actions of the rescuers.tThis is just some opportunistic lawyers trying to sue the victim. No lawsuit should be filed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Nobody put a gun to their heads and told them to rescue her. I mean, I commend them for doing what few would have done but what do you expect would happen when you try to pull someone out of a flaming vehicle?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Wow, what a question for an ethicist. I can see arguments pro and con from all sorts of angles. Too many for me to even begin to respond with my own yet unformed opinion.
Don't always rely on precedent.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Tragic situation all around, but the lawsuit is unmerited. The men knowingly put themselves into a dangerous situation - we admire heroism precisely because it's voluntary, above-and-beyond.

Now, I would've hoped that some funds somewhere, be it charity or otherwise, could have been located - and if there's a medical coverage problem for the two men, it's absolutely scandalous.

The woman is a selfish twit, incidentally.
I don't know that I agree that it is unmerited. If you created a situation that incidentally and overwhelmingly compelled other individuals to put themselves in harm's way under a false premise, don't you feel that you should be held at least partially responsible?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The reason for the crash is irrelevant to the actions of the rescuers.tThis is just some opportunistic lawyers trying to sue the victim. No lawsuit should be filed.
I agree. Those men CHOSE to do what they did.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:45 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
I, for one, would be HIGHLY pissed if I suffered injuries helping someone who I later found out was trying to commit suicide. If you find it necessary to kill yourself, please reconsider. If you still want to do it, please do it in a manner where you do not involve other people.

No, the men didn't have to help, but what type of responses would this thread have generated if the title read "Men Stood By While Woman Burned Alive in Fire".

Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I don't know that I agree that it is unmerited. If you created a situation that incidentally and overwhelmingly compelled other individuals to put themselves in harm's way under a false premise, don't you feel that you should be held at least partially responsible?
Nope. She didn't blackmail them into saving her, she didn't threaten them with harm unless they helped her, it was fully THEIR choice. No law suit here, it will be thrown out.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post

No, the men didn't have to help, but what type of responses would this thread have generated if the title read "Men Stood By While Woman Burned Alive in Fire".
It would have been less ridiculous then a thread about them suing her. She didn't involve them, they involved themselves!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I agree. Those men CHOSE to do what they did.
They were circumstantially compelled.

They didn't choose for personal profit.

I'm surprised she hasn't countersued.

Last edited by ergohead; 08-02-2011 at 09:57 AM..

Old 08-02-2011, 11:51 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The reason for the crash has everything to do with the basis for legal action. If she had done everything in her power to avoid the collision then there is no room for punitive damages. No need to punish something you tried to avoid. With an intentional collision there is every reason to punish the person responsible. Both criminally and civilly.

The reason for the crash is the context in witch the rescuers got injured. Actions taken out of context lack their original meaning, just the same as words do. Her intention to cause herself harm means that the injuries to her rescuers were intetional not accidental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies