Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 04:56 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,200,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
You and the congressmans lack of knowledge or pure ignorance show just how out of touch so many are with the mainstream. It's nothing to spin, "tar-baby" has been a racial slur for decades. In some households, that's not a big deal, using racial slurs is accepted as it probably is in this guys house.
Joel Chandler Harris wrote the Tar Baby story as satire about the problems that the South had with segregation and integration of the black race into mainstream society during Reconstruction. It was not a racist symbol in its original context, but has come in recent years to describe any problem anyone has with black people. In today's usage it is most certainly used as a racial slur unless someone is discussing literature.

I don't think Rep. Lamborn had the pursuit of literacy in mind when he made his little speech.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:58 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's not a big deal. So long as no one refers to me as as one, everything is cool.
Would you be offended if they did...?

Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Life at the Lab

Miz Kathy an de Scrapie Tar Baby

by Uncle Remus (sort of)

One day, Brer Fox and Brer Bear wuz sittin’ round in de woods, talkin’ about de way dem Gene Jocks wuz always cuttin’ up capers an actin’ so fresh.
“Dem Gene Jocks is gettin’ too sassy,” say Brer Fox.
“Dem Gene Jocks is gettin’ too bossy,” say Brer Bear.
“Dem Gene Jocks talk too biggity,” say Brer Fox.
“Dem Yaley Gene Jocks particulary think dey know everything,” say Brer Fox.
“I don’t like de way dem Gene Jocks go lippity clippity down de road,” say Brer Bear.
“Some dey I’m goin’ ter ketch one and scramble her brain.”
“Some dey I’m goin’ ter ketch a Gene Jock and stuff some good solid protein chemistry down her throat,” say Brer Fox.
“Some dey I’m goin’ ter ketch one and knock her head clean off, blim, blam!, say Brer Bear
Right den, Brer Fox get a powerful big idea. “I’m goin’ ter ketch a Yaley Gene Jock right now,” he say.
Well suh, Brer Fox went straight ter wurk. First he got some tar. Den he make it inter a shape, sorter like a baby, wid arms and legs, a stomick, an a head. De face he give dat dumb slow look of a protein chemist. “Now,” he say, “we got ter make dis Tar-Baby look fer real.” Wid dat he pull some hairs, plip! plip! right outer Brer Bear’s back. He stick um round de Tar-Baby’s head, but only ‘round de edges to make it look like de rest wuz pulled out. He snatch off brer Bear’s yeller hat an his own blue coat, an he put um on de Tar-Baby. “Come now, Brer Bear,” he say, “help me carry dis Tar-Baby ter de fast track where all dem Gene Jocks cruise ‘long.
Dey took de Tar-Baby, and dey sot him down under a tree at de side of de road, sorter like he mighter been restin’. Den, Brer Fox an Brer Bear lay down in de bushes ter wait fer a Gene Jock.
Dey didn’t have ter wait long. Purty soon, dey heard a whistlin’ an a hummin’ an along come Miz Kathy prancin’ lippity clippity, sassy ez a mockin’ bird, carryin’ an NEB catalog an a froze pouch of ‘striction enzymes on her belt. All’t once, she spy de Tar-Baby.
She weren’t goin pay it no mind, since Gene Jocks don’t have no truck wid low down trash on de road side. But just as she passed de Tar-Baby, she thought it said somethin’.
“Wut’s dat?, she snap.
De Tar-Baby say nothin’, an Brer Fox an Brer Bear, dey lay low in de bushes and dey say nothin’.
Miz Kathy was just turnin’ to hurry ‘long to Stockholm, when she thunk she heard somebody say “prion”.
“Wut’s dat you say?” she say to de Tar-Baby.
De Tar-Baby, he say nothin’ an Brer Fox an Brer Bear, dey lay low.
Miz Kathy wasn’t ‘bout to waste any more time on dis dumb fool, so she turned to go.
“Prion”, say Brer Fox, a little louder, dan before.
“I heard dat!”, say Miz Kathy, “I heard dat clear as a bell. You said it. You said de P-word!
De Tar-Baby, he say nothin’, an Brer Fox an Brer Bear, dey lay low.
Now Miz Kathy sorter mad. She clinch her fist and she walk right up close ter de Tar-Baby. “Respectubble folks don’t say dat word. Now if you don’t take dat back by de time I count three, I’m goin’ ter blip you in de nose.” Miz Kathy start countin’, “One, two, . . “
But de Tar-Baby, he say nothin’, an Brer Fox an Brer Bear, dey just wink der eyes an grin.
“Three!” yell Miz Kathy. Now she mighty mad. She draw back her fist, an blip! she hit de Tar-Baby smack in de nose. But Miz Kathy’s fist stuck in de tar. She can’t pull it loose.
Now Miz Kathy turrible mad. “let go my fist!” she holler. Wid dat, she draw back her other fist, and blip! again she hit de Tar-Baby smack in de nose. But dis fist stuck in de tar too. She can’t pull it loose.
De Tar-Baby, he say nothin’, an Brer Fox an Brer Bear dey sorter chuckle in der stummocks.
“If you don’t let go my fists,” holler Miz Kathy, “I’m goin to kick your teef right outer your mouf!”
Well suh, Miz Kathy kicked. First she pull back one behind foot, an pow! she hit de Tar-Baby in de jaw. But Miz Kathy’s foot stuck in de tar. Den, pow! she hit de Tar-Baby wid de other behind foot. Dis foot stuck in de tar too.
“If you don’t let go my foots,” squall out Miz Kathy, “I’m goin’ ter butt you wid my head till you ain’t got no bref left in your body!”
Miz Kathy butted, but her head stuck in de tar. Now Miz Kathy’s two fists, her two behind foots, and her head wuz all stuck in de Tar-Baby. She push and pull, but de more she try ter get unstuck, de stucker she got. Soon Miz Kathy is so stuck up she can’t skarcly move her eyeballs.
Now Brer Fox an Brer Bear come outer de bushes, an dey feel mighty good. Dey dance round an round Miz Kathy, laffin’ an hollerin’ fit ter kill.
We sure ketched you dis time, Miz Kathy,” say Brer Bear.
You better say your prayers, Miz Kathy,” say Brer Fox, “cause dis is de very last sane day of your life.”
Miz Kathy, she shiver an trimble, cause she wuz in a mighty bad fix, an she wuz mighty skeered. But right den she set her mind a-workin’ how ter get herself outer dat fix real quick.
Miz Kathy,” say Brer Bear, “you been bouncin’ round dis neighborhood bossin’ everybody fer a long time. Now I’m de boss, an I’m goin’ ter knock your head clean off.”
“No,” say Brer Fox. “Dat’s too easy an too quick. We got ter make her suffer.”
“Miz Kathy,” he say, “you been sassin’ me stickin’ your head inter my bizness fer years an years. Now I got you. I’m goin’ ter fix up a great big fire outer Red Books and Maniatises. Den, when it’s good an hot, I’m goin’ ter drop you in an roast you and your nucleic acids, right here dis very day.”
Now Miz Kathy ain’t really skeered any more, cuz she got an idea how she goin’ ter get loose. But she talk like she’s de most skeered Gene Jock in all dis world. “I don’t care what you do wid me,” she say, pretendin’ ter shake an quake all over, “just so you don’t fling me over dese bushes into dat big city wid de Fred Hutch on de loose. Roast me just ez hot ez you please, but don’t fling me to Seattle!”
“Hold on a minute,” say Brer Bear, tappin’ Brer Fox on de shoulder. “It’s goin’ ter be a lot of trouble ter roast Miz Kathy. Furst, we’ll have ter fetch a big pile of dem evil books.”
Brer Fox scratch his head. “Dat’s so. Well den, Miz Kathy, I’m goin’ ter splot you down on a stage in front of de Mormon Tabynacle Choir singing “Haleluja I’m a Protein Chemist.”
“Splot me anywhers you please,” say Miz Kathy, “but please don’t fling me inter dat heathen city!”
“It’s goin’ ter be a lot of trouble ter put Miz Kathy front of de Tabynacle Choir,” say Brer Bear. “Furst, we’ll have ter take her all de way to Salt Lake.”
“Dat’s so,” say Brer Fox. “Well den, Miz Kathy, I’m goin’ ter drown you in V8 juice.”
“Drown me just ez deep ez you please,” say Miz Kathy, “but please, please don’t fling me ter Seattle!”
“It’s goin’ ter be a lot of trouble ter drown Miz Kathy,” say Brer Bear. “It’d cost way too much for enuf ter put her under. ‘Sides, she’d hold her bref forever ‘fore she swallowed a vegterble.”
“Dat’s so,” say Brer Fox. “Well, Miz Kathy, I expect de best we’ll ever do is ter send you on an eternal international conference on protein conformation. Come on, Brer Bear, let’s get started.”
“Burn me,” say Miz Kathy, “Mormon Tabynacle me, drown me, make me a protein chemist, but please, PLEASE, Brer Fox and Brer Bear, don’t fling me inter dat city!’
Now Brer Bear sorter grumble. “Wait a minute, Brer Fox. It ain’t goin’ ter be much fun ter send Miz Kathy to a conformation conference cause she loves pickin’ on biochemists.’
“But she sure is skeered of dat Fred Hutch!” say Brer Fox. “An dat’s just wher she’s goin’ ter go! Dis is the end of Miz Kathy!” Wid dat, he yank Miz Kathy off de Tar-Baby an he fling her, kerblam! right inter de middle of Seattle.
Well suh, der wuz a considerabul flutter in de place where Miz Kathy struck dose big city streets. “Ooo! Oow! Ouch!” she yell. She screech an she squall. De ruckus an de hullabaloo wuz awful. Den, by-m-by, de Ooo and de Oow an de Ouch come only in a weak tired whisper, like Miz Kathy really goin’ ter die.
Brer Fox and Ber Bear, dey listen an grin. Den dey shake hands an dey slap each other on de back.
“Miz Kathy ain’t goin’ ter be sassy no more!”
“Miz Kathy ain’t goin’ ter be bossy no more!”
“Miz Kathy ain’t goin’ ter do nothin’ no more!”
“Dis is de end! Miz Kathy is dead!”
But right den, Brer Fox an Brer Bear hear a scufflin’ in de sewer hole where Miz Kathy landed. And lo and behold, who do dey see scramblin’ out fru de grate, frisky ez a cricket, but Miz Kathy herself! Miz Kathy, whistlin’ an singin’, an combin’ de last bit of tar outer her hair!
“Howdy, Brer Fox and Brer Bear!” she holler. “I told you an I told you not to fling me ter Seattle. Dat’s de place in all dis world I love de very best. Dat is de place wher all dem Fred Hutch Gene Jocks is!”
Wid dat, she prance away, lippity-clippity, laffin’ an laffin’ till she can’t laff no more.
De trouble was dat she kept bumping inter lampposts an all dem peoples. Den she couldn’t remember where Fred Hutch was or why she was goin’ there or what yeast wuz or who Gene is. She just stood ‘mongst de traffick in de middle of de street of de big city staring off inter space sorter glassy eyed and confused ‘zif her brain was a sponge.
‘Course in de end, she was de better fer it.

Last edited by ergohead; 08-02-2011 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 06:14 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
That IS what it means. Too bad others can only see racism in everything, they ruin it for everyone.
That's the PC world. What next burn the Uncle Remus books and deem them racist? I can understand both definitions of the term, but we are all supposed to subscribe to "group think," literary terms be damned.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You think that's a RACE issue?
I defy you to find a man of ANY skin color that would NOT be offended by someone other than his parents calking him "boy." This isn't a race issue.
If you don't think it's a race issue, your knowledge of this country's history is sorely lacking. That doesn't mean that those who are not African American can't be insulted by this as well, but the history behind this term being directed specifically at black men to demean them is long and established.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Would you be offended if they did...?
Hell yea. I'd come unglued...to say the least.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
This issue over the tar baby remark being racist is nothing more than ad hominem attacks by the left...they are nothing more than propagandists who have lost credibility with the true American people.

They are upset not being able to spend money we do not have so they have to vent.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:07 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggingcanoe View Post
this issue over the tar baby remark being racist is nothing more than ad hominem attacks by the left...they are nothing more than propagandists who have lost credibility with the true american people.

they are upset not being able to spend money we do not have so they have to vent.
who?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
This issue over the tar baby remark being racist is nothing more than ad hominem attacks by the left...they are nothing more than propagandists who have lost credibility with the true American people.

They are upset not being able to spend money we do not have so they have to vent.
Well one good thing did come out of this mess, a couple more racists were identified by themselves, at least one of them found my short cut to my ignore list.
Casper

Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,078 times
Anybody else remember when this was funny? I laughed when it was on primetime, along with the rest of America.
Today I wept quietly, just to be pc...

Job Interview Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor - eBaum Nation - Funny Videos, Crazy Pictures, Cool Games, Entertainment Updated Hourly (http://www.ebaumnation.com/2009/02/10/job-interview-chevy-chase-and-richard-pryor - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies