Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 PM

15,093 posts, read 8,636,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I will take a bipartisan team over the horse pucky coming out of the Tea Party anyday. ITheir approach has been pure ideology meant to trash the government and Obama, not a viable strategy for governance.

Thankfully, the 12 will likely be dominated by people who don't think default is a good idea.

Why stop there? Just eliminate the whole lot of bribe takers and let Obama grow a funny little mustache?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 02:34 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well they can vote from home. It's either yes or no with no debate or amendments. They can just log in from home and select a button and submit. End of story. That's what your Representatives will amount to.
Not end of story. They can take the bill from the super committee, add some amendments, add a passage that removes the super committee, and bada bing, bada boom.

Done and done. Believe it or not, congress can change laws they have previously passed.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:01 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Not end of story. They can take the bill from the super committee, add some amendments, add a passage that removes the super committee, and bada bing, bada boom.

Done and done. Believe it or not, congress can change laws they have previously passed.

Of course Congress can change laws they have made. They could repeal NAFTA, they could eliminate the so-called Patriot Act, and they could repeal The Federal Reserve Act. But, they haven't, and they are unlikely to do so. Once these laws are put into place, they become entrenched with time. Once these laws have become an accepted part of our governmental structure, they become easy to expand and abuse.

The point so many of us--from all parts of the political spectrum--are trying to make, is that our current political system is inherently corrupt. It is made up of people who vote based upon personal political or financial interests. These people don't represent the interests of average Americans. This is true of most Democrats and of most Republicans.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:42 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Anybody who would trust a "gang of twelve" or whatever the hell they are is completely insane. Look at all the BS thrown around with the current "gang". Is this what they were plotting all this time and making a huge deal about the world collapsing because of the debt ceiling?

As said before we just took one step further to the president wearing that funny little mustache. People are actually defending these actions.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:57 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Emily ... you need to read the bill ... and just as importantly, everyone needs to consider the implications of establishing such a precedent, regardless of how this is applied now, or for what alleged purpose. The real agenda is NEVER publicized ... and the stated purpose is always a pretext for something else. ALWAYS.

The first RED FLAG is that the stated goal is to cut 1.5 Trillion in spending over the next 10 years. Given the yearly budget deficit already exceeded 1.5 Trillion in 2010, was close to 1.5 Trillion in 09', and is projected to be close to 1.5 Trillion this year, this goal to "Cut" one year's worth of budget deficits over a 10 year period is a TOTAL FARCE. Good lord ... it's Fairy Dust. And this is why a "Super Congress" must be formed ... to create fairy dust? I don't theen so Lucy. This is a con-job at face value, without even considering the vast implications of allowing these criminals to create a quasi dictatorship of hand selected bribe takers taking over the legislative process .... regardless of it's advertised purpose.

What part of "they are lying, cheating, conniving criminal scoundrels" is escaping you here?

I cannot even believe there is anyone left in this country who thinks these guys have anything other than dishonorable intentions, or that their proposals and actions aren't Wolves in Sheep's clothing.

This "Super Committee" has NEVER been done before. And stating that they are ONLY dealing with spending and revenue issues ... well that is ONLY the greatest power government can exercise. Everything is controlled by spending and revenue ..... everything.

Good lord. I can't believe this is coming from you.
With all due respect, It is not the first time this has been done. The first time was in 1987. Look back at my links. Regarding reading the bill, I HAVE read it and I was in fact the one to post the links to it which most people seem to have ignored.

In fact if you are so sure you are right, what happened to your thread you started yesterday where you told us the sky had fallen? You almost had me convinced after reading that but then I thought I better check the actual bill. Sure enough, you, Alex James and the Huffingtion Post were all reporting Congress, as we knew it, was now dead. In fact Jack Hunter on the RonPaul2012 website their new blogger insinuated the same thing. It seems like NOBODY wants to do their homework. They are content to broadcast their opinion based on 10% fact and 90% rumor.

Last night it was Joel Skoussen author of Strategic Relocation who seems to be an extremely reliable source told George Noory on "Coast to Coast AM" that this "super committee" or whatever people want to call it, was strictly LIMITED to the business of achieving the goals in that bill PERIOD. It did NOT affect other bills or new bills.

So this AM I found the actual bill and posted it for everyone. I even posted a suggestion on your old "Congratulations" thread that we were all over-reacting. Then I think I looked to post the link to the bill itself and your thread was gone.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the Super Committee is a good thing. it just isn't as far reaching as everyone was thinking it was.

Last edited by emilybh; 08-03-2011 at 04:10 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 04:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
You just don't get it. It doesn't matter what's in the bill. These guys don't follow their own rules. What makes you think they would all of a sudden start now?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:12 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You just don't get it. It doesn't matter what's in the bill. These guys don't follow their own rules. What makes you think they would all of a sudden start now?
That isn't news. They haven't been enforcing especially any of the laws that protect us in ages. So what is your point? Why was yesterday when everyone decided we'd hit bottom?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
With all due respect, It is not the first time this has been done. The first time was in 1987. Look back at my links. Regarding reading the bill, I HAVE read it and I was in fact the one to post the links to it which most people seem to have ignored.

In fact if you are so sure you are right, what happened to your thread you started yesterday where you told us the sky had fallen? You almost had me convinced after reading that but then I thought I better check the actual bill. Sure enough, you, Alex James and the Huffingtion Post were all reporting Congress, as we knew it, was now dead. In fact Jack Hunter on the RonPaul2012 website their new blogger insinuated the same thing. It seems like NOBODY wants to do their homework. They are content to broadcast their opinion based on 10% fact and 90% rumor.

Last night it was Joel Skoussen author of Strategic Relocation who seems to be an extremely reliable source told George Noory on "Coast to Coast AM" that this "super committee" or whatever people want to call it, was strictly LIMITED to the business of achieving the goals in that bill PERIOD. It did NOT affect other bills or new bills.

So this AM I found the actual bill and posted it for everyone. I even posted a suggestion on your old "Congratulations" thread that we were all over-reacting. Then I think I looked to post the link to the bill itself and your thread was gone.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the Super Committee is a good thing. it just isn't as far reaching as everyone was thinking it was.
Its still there.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Of course Congress can change laws they have made. They could repeal NAFTA, they could eliminate the so-called Patriot Act, and they could repeal The Federal Reserve Act. But, they haven't, and they are unlikely to do so. Once these laws are put into place, they become entrenched with time. Once these laws have become an accepted part of our governmental structure, they become easy to expand and abuse.

The point so many of us--from all parts of the political spectrum--are trying to make, is that our current political system is inherently corrupt. It is made up of people who vote based upon personal political or financial interests. These people don't represent the interests of average Americans. This is true of most Democrats and of most Republicans.

This is exactly the point!

They don't represent the American Public anymore and will and have been doing as they please as they thumb their noses at everyone.

Giving a select few the power to spend as they please..gives them more power, and the more power the government takes, the more bigger they get.

The government has not shrunk any since the creation of this country, and this is not going away once they have another tool in their arsenal to control the sheeple, just like many other major policies that have been passed.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:27 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
This is exactly the point!

They don't represent the American Public anymore and will and have been doing as they please as they thumb their noses at everyone.

Giving a select few the power to spend as they please..gives them more power, and the more power the government takes, the more bigger they get.

The government has not shrunk any since the creation of this country, and this is not going away once they have another tool in their arsenal to control the sheeple, just like many other major policies that have been passed.
So then this super committee thing is a completely moot point since all members of congress are incompetent and corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies