Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 03:49 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times

Advertisements

Sorry to be a spreader of more bad news but here is another country that wants nothing to do with our treasuries :

Quote:
It added that the Central Bank of the UAE currently possesses no U.S. treasury bonds or any other financial instruments issued by the U.S. government due to the very low return on holding these instruments.

WAM | Emirates News Agency

With the stock market tumbling more debt and QE on the way the fat lady has stepped up to the mike. The party is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 03:50 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Why is this a surprise?

You have consumers not spending money.

You have business not investing in the US

You have people wanting government not to spend.

So you have a triple whammy that does not spell relief for our economy.

You have the TP and generally repugs coming out with horrible ideas that negatively impact the economy. plus the economies of Europe are very shaky now.

And you are surprised about the market dropping... Repugs should be elated... they have brought the economy to a standstill, that is what they wanted.... Mission Accomplished!
Yep, I think you summed it up. If the economy tanks, Obama loses and they win....uncork the champagne!!!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
On trading earlier today. Its down around 300 now. This hasn't happened since 1978 if I recall from an article I read yesterday. I thought the great orator was going to save the world with his big "deal" the dems hoisted upon the world? Apparently not. Now what? I can't wait for the calls of QE III and more stimulous by these complete and utter idiots.
Well...THEY....wanted hope and change...THEY...got it...smoked...at the BHO BBQ today.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Take a look around the world..Greece, Italy, Portugal and Ireland just to name a few are crashing as well.

This is a global depression with countries on the verge of sovereign default. This is not isolated to the US and not due to 6 months of Republican majority in the House.

But you go ahead and think that anyway.
I agree that this is not strictly due to the new republicans, but they sure as hell have not been helping AT ALL.

And the old guard is as nasty as ever. McConnell is now promising more games of chicken in the future. What self-serving tools.

We need some real bipartisan action and now.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Hey, I heard somewhere that it bumped up right before closing (30 points of the Dow or something..). It will be interesting to see how many sold off to get ahead of tomorrow's jobs report.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,815,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Okay, let's see how serious you are about that. Let's come together and repeal obamacare.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,941 times
If you can't take the drop, you should not be in the market. Its that simple. If you are in market, it is beginning to look like a time to buy. I am retired and have always been an active investor. My take is that the markets are disappointed by the unwillingness of the GOP to deal and kick the can down the road.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:11 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Coincidence this happened on Obama's birthday?

Thanks for the "change", Mr. President.

Though...I'm not sure that's quite what he meant. Maybe this is just a byproduct of the change he promised. Yes, Happy Birthday, Mr. President, nice present to give to the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
How soon we forget. Headlines last week- 'If we don't increase the debt, the Dow will tumble'.
They seem to love chaos. How many times did they shout that they know how to stop the sky from falling? People who know better fell for it, repeatedly.

This just shows that they are either incompetent, or intentionally destructive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
the response from the White House today was "its not our fault! its the Tsunami's fault! yea Big Wave! Not our fault! We are the good guys! down with waves!!!!!!!!!
whaaaaaaaa
Yes, blame somebody else. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Why is this a surprise?

You have consumers not spending money.

You have business not investing in the US

You have people wanting government not to spend.

So you have a triple whammy that does not spell relief for our economy.

You have the TP and generally repugs coming out with horrible ideas that negatively impact the economy. plus the economies of Europe are very shaky now.

And you are surprised about the market dropping... Repugs should be elated... they have brought the economy to a standstill, that is what they wanted.... Mission Accomplished!
Spending when you can't pay your bills is not a solution. Do you ask the bank to raise your credit limit when you can't pay your bill just so that you can spend some more? That's a simplified analogy to raising the debt ceiling when you can't make the payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I agree that this is not strictly due to the new republicans, but they sure as hell have not been helping AT ALL.

And the old guard is as nasty as ever. McConnell is now promising more games of chicken in the future. What self-serving tools.

Who elected these "new republicans"? Why? Was it because things were really going great? Remember, too, that they weren't elected to help the liberals run the economy into the ground. They just might be the only few who actually went to D.C. to do their job and are actually doing it.

Do you mean "bipartisan" as when Pelosi was running things, especially with respect to how they congenially and intelligently passed Obamacare? (tongue in cheek).

Is that the kind of bipartisan action you mean?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
On trading earlier today. Its down around 300 now. This hasn't happened since 1978 if I recall from an article I read yesterday. I thought the great orator was going to save the world with his big "deal" the dems hoisted upon the world? Apparently not. Now what? I can't wait for the calls of QE III and more stimulous by these complete and utter idiots.
Obama awhile back said he wasn't concerned with the gyrations of the stock market.

Even Bush never said anything that stupid.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:26 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Okay, let's see how serious you are about that. Let's come together and repeal obamacare.
Why would we want to add another trillion to the debt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies