Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:50 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Thank the DHS for that. They dangled that $$$$ carrot to state and local law enforcement via grants and additional funding. The catch though is that it's for national security and to prevent terrorism from rearing it's ugly head. So if they label more crimes as caused by terrorism then they get more money.

It's very simple and how other FedGov programs work that provide $$$.
Education is the same way..pass the kids or you don't get $$$ so we now have illiterate HS graduates that can't count their way out of a paper bag but those schools got their money cause the kids all passed.

DHS is giving money away to local law enforcement with these strings attached and IMO that is why we're seeing more local crimes using that "terrorist" label.

DHS | State Contacts & Grant Award Information (http://www.dhs.gov/xgovt/grants/ - broken link)
Easy to labe anything to meet the grant quota for protecting our nation it appears.

What Exactly Does "Making a Terrorist Threat" Mean?

The crime of "making a terrorist threat" is a recent creation enacted at both the state and federal levels after the terrorist attacks of 9/11. It is a very general law that can be used to prosecute terrorists, but has been used far more often to prosecute situations involving domestic violence, hate crimes, bomb threats, and school violence. Indeed, in many states, the term "terrorist" has been amended to mean simply "criminal."

Although the exact definition varies from state to state, generally one makes a terrorist threat if one threatens to commit a violent crime for the purpose of terrorizing another or of causing public panic. Some states laws are very narrow, meaning the threat must be very specific and direct, while other states adapt a looser approach, allowing even negligently made threats to be prosecutable.

Making a Terrorist Threat Lawyers | LegalMatch Law Library
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:57 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Charging for having too much cash; does this mean the banks will start lending money to anyone walking through the door? Giving loans to people who cannot possibly pay it back?

I miss Carter, I was getting 15% on a CD.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:02 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Wow I don't even have words for this. Holy crap we are worse off then I thought.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,431 times
Would you like Obama to step in and tell a bank they can't do this? Then you would be critical, saying that the govt. can't tell the private sector what to do. The fact is banks will do whatever they want to do.

How come you don't object to banking fees on small checking accounts? This has been going on for a long time. Did you object to this while Bush was Prez?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Like the prev poster said put it in your mattress. And have plenty of ammo to defend it.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
I wonder what potential presidential candidate and current governor of Texas, Rick Perry has to say about Teneha. If I were he, I'd be ashamed and disgusted and IMMEDIATELY put a stop to it.

Last edited by emilybh; 08-05-2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 11:06 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
True sign that our ecomony is in the toilet. The bank charges you for having too much cash.

I will gladly hold all unwanted cash for you.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Then there's Senator Dick Durbin, the payday lending industry's best friend!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies