Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,877,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Nobody with a brain or with even half a brain is buying the Tea Party agenda as one that will benefit anyone or anything but the wealthy and Corporate America. Maybe it started out with good intentions at its roots, but it was hijacked by extremists and Neocons.
And this has what exactly to do with Ayn Rand?

Quote:
What view are you referring to...BTW?
The view that serial killers are heroes.

I read your linked article. I saw no reference to Ayn Rand in the source article (from tampabay.com), only in the article you just linked to, which apparently just pulled her name out of thin air.

Quote:
"I work hard for what I have and I will share it with who I want to. Government cannot force me to be charitable."
Sounds more like it's encouraging charity without the use of force. How is this the opposite of altruism?

Quote:
How utterly sad! Rand's morally bankrupt philosophy is the opposite of the connectedness and mutual support and compassion that Jesus Christ taught, and that is still taught by many faithful Christians in His name. It is sacrilege to mix Christ's teachings with those with the Queen of Selfishness, the athiest Ayn Rand, heroine of the Republican Tea Party Right wing zealots.
Jesus did not teach us to pay taxes to be distributed however the government sees fit. Jesus did not teach us to be dependent on a government to force us to be charitable. You say it's immoral to be against this, I say it's immoral to not be willing to be charitable on your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,208,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
And this has what exactly to do with Ayn Rand?

The view that serial killers are heroes.

I read your linked article. I saw no reference to Ayn Rand in the source article (from tampabay.com), only in the article you just linked to, which apparently just pulled her name out of thin air.

Sounds more like it's encouraging charity without the use of force. How is this the opposite of altruism?

Jesus did not teach us to pay taxes to be distributed however the government sees fit. Jesus did not teach us to be dependent on a government to force us to be charitable. You say it's immoral to be against this, I say it's immoral to not be willing to be charitable on your own.
There are answers to all of your questions within this thread. The one thing that is a pet peeve of mine is repetition for no good reason. If you are being wilfully ignorant just to be obnoxious you have succeeded.

You apparently buy into the demented Ayn Rand school of thought. Calling the radical righ wing out does bring on the "thou doth protest too much" crowd, so your posts do not surprise me or make it worth my while to respond to...therefore have a nice day!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:53 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,877,524 times
Quote:
There are answers to all of your questions within this thread. The one thing that is a pet peeve of mine is repetition for no good reason. If you are being wilfully ignorant just to be obnoxious you have succeeded.
Wow. You asked me a question and posted an "article" (and I use that term generously) and I responded to both.

Quote:
You apparently buy into the demented Ayn Rand school of thought.
Actually I don't. Stop making **** up.

Quote:
Calling the radical righ wing out does bring on the "thou doth protest too much" crowd, so your posts do not surprise me or make it worth my while to respond to...therefore have a nice day!
And now you've lost me. What the hell are you even talking about? Again. Please tell me where the tea party supports Ayn Rand's stance on serial killers. Oh, you can't? Okay then.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,326,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
These threads are getting more ignorant by the day.
Notice, they are usually started by 1 of 3 different posters.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,326,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The mind of lefty's is a strange place. Glab I'll never be there.
Terrible to think that I was there once. Thank god I left that "plantation" (yes, word used to **** off lefties on purpose.. haha)

Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 AM

38,708 posts, read 26,515,460 times
Quote:
Rand had paid into the system, so why not take the benefits? It's true, but according to Stephens, some of Rand's fellow travelers remained true to their principles.

Rand is one of three women the Cato Institute calls founders of American libertarianism. The other two, Rose Wilder Lane and Isabel “Pat†Paterson, both rejected Social Security benefits on principle. Lane, with whom Rand corresponded for several years, once quit an editorial job in order to avoid paying Social Security taxes. The Cato Institute says Lane considered Social Security a “Ponzi fraud†and “told friends that it would be immoral of her to take part in a system that would predictably collapse so catastrophically.â€

Ayn Rand Railed Against Government Benefits, But Grabbed Social Security and Medicare When She Needed Them | Tea Party and the Right | AlterNet

Yeah, Rand sure changed her tune when she needed the benefits. Rand also said that it was a hoax that cigarettes are harmful to health...until she developed lung cancer. The woman was a fraud!

OK, let's see if I understand what you're trying to get at here...

Ayn Rand was forced to pay into a program she opposed, but forced to pay none the less. At no time was she given the opportunity to opt out. The money which was taken against her will could have been used to build a personal retirement fund were it not forcibly confiscated by the federal government. When she is finally returned the money which was taken from her, she's becomes a sell-out because she requires the federal government to honor the financial arrangement they forced on her?

Old 08-06-2011, 11:09 AM

37,955 posts, read 17,980,312 times
Quote:
Disciples of Ayn Rand's philosophy of selfishness now dominate the thinking of the leadership of the conservative movement and the Republican Party. There is no way around it. Republican budget leader Rep. Paul Ryan says Rand is his guide. Senator Ron Johnson (R-WI) says Rand's Atlas Shrugged is his "foundation book." Senator Rand Paul is named after her (or not). Clarence Thomas requires his law clerks to watch The Fountainhead. Fox News promotes Rand. Conservative blogs promote Rand. Glenn Beck has been promoting Rand for years. So has Rush. This isn't recent, Alan Greenspan lived with the Rand cult and promoted and implemented her ideas.
Dave Johnson: The Not-So-Loyal Opposition

Much of the Republican Party has morphed into a radical, cult-like group. Many are now followers of Ayn Rand, the novelist/philosopher who espoused a vision of a society divided into "producers"-- the "job-creators"--and the rest of us, the "parasites" and "leeches" who use democracy to "loot" the wealth of the deserving business owners. As Yaron Brook and Don Watkinsof the Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights.
Apple vs. GM: Ayn Rand knew the difference. Do you? - CSMonitor.com

In answer to your question...

The Tea Party is Ayn Rand.
LOL you sure do make a lot of mistakes and have many misconceptions.
I'll make it easy to understand. Running your life and having government run your life for you, are two different things.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:10 AM

59,555 posts, read 27,740,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Notice, they are usually started by 1 of 3 different posters.
And they post things like this, " The one thing that is a pet peeve of mine is repetition for no good reason."

Yet they post the same things over and over even after proven wrong .

Old 08-06-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK, let's see if I understand what you're trying to get at here...

Ayn Rand was forced to pay into a program she opposed, but forced to pay none the less. At no time was she given the opportunity to opt out. The money which was taken against her will could have been used to build a personal retirement fund were it not forcibly confiscated by the federal government. When she is finally returned the money which was taken from her, she's becomes a sell-out because she requires the federal government to honor the financial arrangement they forced on her?
oh stop it with the logical thought process and quit ranting against theft!!!

Stealing is good when its done right.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And they post things like this, " The one thing that is a pet peeve of mine is repetition for no good reason."

Yet they post the same things over and over even after proven wrong .
Why verify, when you can just repeat it enough so it becomes true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies